Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 89 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

Like may others have echoed, a one-year contract is potentially low risk and high reward for Lewis Macleod.

I'll reiterate my point - if we can get him on a proper prehabilitation and injury preventing workout, manage his game time with that in mind, we may have a real match winner with us.

Paul Cook has also intimated we have several deals lined up, so hopefully they'll be concluded early next week.

Can’t say I’m pleased king. He manages around 9 games a season. If we are relying on a player with that type of injury record over a significant time period then we are up shit creek. Unless it was Messi or similar I wouldn’t sign any player than only averages that. Wouldn’t have touched him with a barge pole personally. Sadly I think it’s reflective of the mess we’ve made of things this window.
Yaaawnn

Can’t say I’m pleased king. He manages around 9 games a season. If we are relying on a player with that type of injury record over a significant time period then we are up shit creek. Unless it was Messi or similar I wouldn’t sign any player than only averages that. Wouldn’t have touched him with a barge pole personally. Sadly I think it’s reflective of the mess we’ve made of things this window.

I think that is perfectly reasonable but I'd like to think we wont be relying on him and more bringing him in as a calculated risk.

The perception is this is a very taleneted player whos only real issue has been injuries. If we can get him patched up and fitness managed like we did Powell we'll have a top player and if we cant break the cycle then i imagine his wages will be reasonable and his contract length short. As soccerates said it's low risk and high reward.

I'd like to think there will still be plans to bring in another couple of midfielders.l so we arent banking on him being fit with no alternative.

I think that is perfectly reasonable but I'd like to think we wont be relying on him and more bringing him in as a calculated risk.

The perception is this is a very taleneted player whos only real issue has been injuries. If we can get him patched up and fitness managed like we did Powell we'll have a top player and if we cant break the cycle then i imagine his wages will be reasonable and his contract length short. As soccerates said it's low risk and high reward.

I'd like to think there will still be plans to bring in another couple of midfielders.l so we arent banking on him being fit with no alternative.
If we are not relying on him, why sign him?

First of all fair play to Lewis Macleod for taking a one year deal. He could of easily re-signed or went somewhere else with the backing of a longer deal. If it doesn't work out for him this season he will be in a significantly worse position this time next year. All the risk is for him and very little for the club.

At the very least it shows he wants to progress his career.

Last season he was a regular for Brentford at the beginning of the season. Started 12 games and he came on from the bench 5 times from their first 18 games(playing 17 times). Before being injured after December 3rd until March 30th. Not sure if he picked up another injury or decided he wanted to leave as he wasn't selected in the match day squad for the last 4 games or so. Scored 3, assisted 1 from 17 appearances.

Made in Wigan .....

But the point is you don’t know what the return on Macleod will be. Powell was considerably more expensive he was a huge chunk of our entire budget, we were totally reliant on him. If we had not of flukes bagging Reece James we would have gone down miserably and Powell’s influence although at times great would have been nowhere near enough. Get it right.

Macleod is not, he probably replaces lads who weren’t even here like Cole and walker who were costing us on our overall budget. It’s a 1 year contract, he is the new Gibson if you like in terms of squad place, not exactly big boots to fill are they. If he stays fit we have a real asset at a good age that we can resign and sell on potentially for more profit or benefit us as a good player going forwards.

Personally i was hoping we'd sign players that have any of the following attributes, pace, power, size, work rate or robust. Macleod doesn't have any of those, he is a small injury prone technician. At the end of the day Shaun Maloney was exactly the same and he did well for us.

Hope he does well, mentioned above from danny de zeeuw. Much better player to have in the squad then Gibson even if he's not playing. But i'm fairly certain if he's fit he'll be involved.

If we are not relying on him, why sign him?

Because it's a squad game - we aren't relying on Jones and Evans as back up keepers but we need them. We aren't going to be relying on Lang and Geldheart but we want to try and develop them, you generally buy competition and cover in every position so you aren't reliant on individuals.

We are clearly hoping we can get something out of Macleod but we wont be likely having only him who can play in centre mid.

As others have said we have plenty of slots to fill in the squad after so many left this is just one of them. Im thinking he is more of the Gibson replacement rather than Powell or James and those roles will be filled by other targets.

Made in Wigan .....

But the point is you don’t know what the return on Macleod will be. Powell was considerably more expensive he was a huge chunk of our entire budget, we were totally reliant on him. If we had not of flukes bagging Reece James we would have gone down miserably and Powell’s influence although at times great would have been nowhere near enough. Get it right.

Macleod is not, he probably replaces lads who weren’t even here like Cole and walker who were costing us on our overall budget. It’s a 1 year contract, he is the new Gibson if you like in terms of squad place, not exactly big boots to fill are they. If he stays fit we have a real asset at a good age that we can resign and sell on potentially for more profit or benefit us as a good player going forwards.

We can only use past information to form opinions on what his return will be. 41 appearances in 4 1/2 years for a lad who is 25 is shocking. The only conclusion that can be drawn is that his body isn’t suited to top level sport so it’s highly likely the anticipated return won’t be great.

Because it's a squad game - we aren't relying on Jones and Evans as back up keepers but we need them. We aren't going to be relying on Lang and Geldheart but we want to try and develop them, you generally buy competition and cover in every position so you aren't reliant on individuals.

We are clearly hoping we can get something out of Macleod but we wont be likely having only him who can play in centre mid.

As others have said we have plenty of slots to fill in the squad after so many left this is just one of them. Im thinking he is more of the Gibson replacement rather than Powell or James and those roles will be filled by other targets.
Totally agree but let's make them players that can actually step in for injured first choice players.
This lad is a crock and surely there must be players somewhere other than crocks. Roberts and Naismith and Windass may not be the quality for this level but were available to stand in (all be it in that piss poor run last season) Gibson likewise not the quality for this level and couldn't step up as he was injured himself and not available.
I sincerely hope this totally underwhelming first outfield signing manages to keep fit. Wish folk would stop comparing this bloke to Nick Powell to. Only thing in common was injuries but Nick's record wasn't on this lads scale and Nick was also one of the finest players we've had since 2013.
Who is next on the radar Alf-Inge Haaland?

Taken from the clubs website, Macleod has scored 20 goals and provided 21 assists in 119 appearances in all competitions in club football.
Based on those stats, if he was an injury free ever present we wouldn't have had a cat in hells chance of signing him.

Totally agree but let's make them players that can actually step in for injured first choice players.
This lad is a crock and surely there must be players somewhere other than crocks. Roberts and Naismith and Windass may not be the quality for this level but were available to stand in (all be it in that piss poor run last season) Gibson likewise not the quality for this level and couldn't step up as he was injured himself and not available.
I sincerely hope this totally underwhelming first outfield signing manages to keep fit. Wish folk would stop comparing this bloke to Nick Powell to. Only thing in common was injuries but Nick's record wasn't on this lads scale and Nick was also one of the finest players we've had since 2013.
I’ve compared him to Powell purely on an injury basis if you choose to misinterpret that it’s up to you. My point was for the considerable outlay of Powell you could 2 or 3 very good high earners who want to be here. Macleod is instead of Darron bloody Gibson, or lads like walker and Olsen and Cole. This has no bearing on anything other than if it pays off it pays of huge. Get a grip you lot would whinge about anything

Powell's record was no better when he joined us, 12-13 season he played 31 games for us, part of the season injured. Then two loan spell's playing 3 games each season and then after returning to us he played 21 games. Over 4 years he played 58 games.

What most people wont realize is that Macleod is mostly used a defensive midfielder. He's not afraid of a tackle, i've not seen him play a whole lot. But if he performs how he did in those games he will surprise a few.