Banning | Vital Football

Banning

jokerman

Vital Football Hero
I do not like this banning business at all. Nothing either WK or VG ever posted comes close to warranting it, and the process by which people impose their standards of acceptable communication on the rest of us by complaining seems wrong.

No criticism of you, The Fear. Your generally light touch is appreciated and I realize you have responsibilities to others besides us. Anyway, bring WK back. He'll go spare having nothing to do but stare at Ingleborough all day and rattle is own cage instead of ours.

I do not like this banning business at all. Nothing either WK or VG ever posted comes close to warranting it, and the process by which people impose their standards of acceptable communication on the rest of us by complaining seems wrong.

I disagree - racist or homophobic language should warrant a ban, as should personal and abusive attacks. I don't know what the current ban is for, but if people are not self-moderating their behaviour, then someone else needs to do it.

Maybe you would have a different outlook if you were abused personally?

No criticism of you, The Fear. Your generally light touch is appreciated and I realize you have responsibilities to others besides us. Anyway, bring WK back. He'll go spare having nothing to do but stare at Ingleborough all day and rattle is own cage instead of ours.

I agree. No need to ban Wayne. If you don't like a posters views then they can be ignored.

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with Wayne, and his postings can be antagonistic on occasion, he is far from the most offensive poster on this forum.

Judging from The Fear’s post, it sounds like Wayne got a few reports for one of his comments where he probably called someone a fucking twat mid-argument. The Fear was doing his job in saying “I’ve had reports, please cut down on the personal attacks” to which Wayne probably told him to fuck off. Reasonable if you ask me, should that be the case.

Of course, people shouldn’t be reporting posts whenever you get called a twat. And you should try not to call everyone a twat when you’re having a debate with them. Unless they’re proper being a twat.

I was going to say similar to what Trev said although on the basis of The Fear saying they had a polite conversation then I doubt Wayne told him to fuck off.

But it dues seem as if Wayne has been spoken to multiple times in the past but Wayne has chosen to ignore the friendly advice and warnings. I suspect Wayne will claim the banning was unexpected and out of the blue.

Although I am against banning and censorship in principle I have to admit I take a certain level of Schadenfreude in the news but not to the level Wayne felt when VG was also banned I suspect.

Or course knowing Wayne, he'll be reaching for a new tissue whenever someone posts on here as I am sure he'll be loving the attention.

Will WK still be able to read the forum, just not post?

Needless to say, I am in constant disagreement with him over Brexit but still find him erudite and not as abusive as therealwaldo.

I think VG pushes WK's buttons though.

A bit sad if no one has reported them, or claimed to be offended, though.

As everyone has the ability to block individual posters, I find banning as being unnecessary. I hope none of my posts have ever been deemed abusive, but would like to think that if someone was offended they would block, rather than report me.
I don't think I have ever agreed with Wayne's views but respect his right to hold them.
Hurry back Wayne.

I was going to say similar to what Trev said although on the basis of The Fear saying they had a polite conversation then I doubt Wayne told him to fuck off.
I read The Fear’s ‘we had a charming conversation’ as sarcasm, given he banned him after it!

There is a string of WK expletives removed from the Tommy thread so I'd guess it's for that, after being previously warned on a few occasions.
Hopefully he'll wind it in a bit on his return.

He clearly has a reasonable level of education so it's a mystery as to why he stoops to such profanities.

Maybe he drinks.?

This is a public football forum... There are people of all ages reading the posts. People need to realise that children are on this forum. If we were at a game, and the person next to us was using the language that is often used in this place, we'd ask them to keep the tone down. I'm against banning, but some people need to realise that they are in a public place, and to act accordingly...

I read The Fear’s ‘we had a charming conversation’ as sarcasm, given he banned him after it!

What The Fear actually wrote was:

" I have had several nice exchanges with Wayne about the alerts."

and then commented about not wanting to be constantly ignored by Wayne about the warnings.

I am a bit shocked by the news .However I do support the right of the Fear to make the judgement knowing the full facts.I personally don't have a problem with WK and hope he is able to return.Perhaps a name change might help to simply WK.As personally I find his name choice a bit odd to say the least. As for VG I have not regularly read anything he has written for ages.Although I do occasionally read a few bits not logged in so get every post in that event.If the bust up was over what has been hinted at .Getting in trouble over a thug lowers yourself to their level. Which is what they want .

Will WK still be able to read the forum, just not post?

I think VG pushes WK's buttons though.
h.

Wayne should be able to read everything but simply not be able to post.

Does VG push Wayne's buttons? Maybe at times, but I've seen Wayne start plenty of "I bet VG will hate this" sort of bait threads where inside he'll link to a news story where a Muslim taxi did a good deed in the obvious hope VG will comment so that he (Wayne) has an excuse of the usual terms and phrases Wayne is famous for. I find a lot of the time when threads turn into the usual bitchfest about racism that the whole thing usually starts with Wayne laying a trap for VG. Regardless of whether you agree with VG fully, occasionally or never, Wayne is the catalyst for a lot of threads running the risk of invoking Godwin's law.

I am a bit shocked by the news .However I do support the right of the Fear to make the judgement knowing the full facts.I personally don't have a problem with WK and hope he is able to return.Perhaps a name change might help to simply WK.As personally I find his name choice a bit odd to say the least. As for VG I have not regularly read anything he has written for ages.Although I do occasionally read a few bits not logged in so get every post in that event.If the bust up was over what has been hinted at .Getting in trouble over a thug lowers yourself to their level. Which is what they want .

Who is this thug you refer to ?
Surely it's not Steve Evans yet again ?

It's going to be very quiet on here for a few days. I can only thing that the administrator/s have decided the language/ insults were escalating beyond acceptable and issued a cooling off period.
Shame as it has been a great spectator sport in the closed season.

Problem is Wayne and VG are almost as bad as each other. Difference is that when VG posts his racist bile he does not go on an insulting rant at everyone who disagrees. Wayne tries to openly argue with anyone who disagrees with him and then results to personal insults when he can't win his argument. Life will never be the same now - well not for the next 2 weeks at least.

One of the things I like about this forum is the range of views and opinions.

I would never associate with the likes of VG because I consider his views to be unacceptable for a civilised society. And I get increasingly frustrated with some of the circular and irrational arguments about Brexit.

But, it’s unhealthy to live in a ‘bubble’ and to be surrounded by like-minded people. For that reason, I don’t advocate the banning of anyone on this forum. I disagreed with the banning of VG. I disagree with the banning of WK. And I’d disagree with the banning of anyone else unless they are breaking the law or unless they are one of the incarnations of DoX.

It’s really disappointing that people feel the need to report others. There is an element of cowardice.

That said, I have no issues with respect the actions that The Fear has taken. (S)he cannot ignore the reports. The Fear - you’re doing a great job. I’m embarrassed that you’ve had to take actions against posters on this forum.

For anyone else, if you’re offended/insulted by anything that I have posted then please let me know in one of the threads rather than making a pusillanimous report. I’ll ban myself!