The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 40 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

It would be interesting to see everyone's opinion on who they believe is good enough at this level? As Villan57 has started to explain.

There is rumours of a new GK - IMO Steer should be given his chance. What I think may go against him, is Smith might not trust his skill on the ball.

I think the pace and flair of the Premier League will kill both Full Backs and these are and will be our main weakness if not replaced.

Right wing is obvious. Quality needed

Anwar needs cover and competition on the left. Good enough to retain his place though.

SJM and Jack more than good enough and will be key, no problems. I do think with more time on the ball that Conor can do a job in the EPL. His set pieces will see his stats remain fairly decent. Sadly he isn't good enough to hold down the only position available to him as a DM, and we need strengthening here massively.

Tammy, regardless of opinions, has just scored 26 goals, and with the squad harmony must be signed. He has to do better though when dropping deep to collect the ball.

Cases for the maybe's:
Davies, young, strong, point to prove - decent backup.
Kodj - unpredictable in this league, may love the limelight and turn up?
Andre Geen - Still young, still learning.

It would be interesting to see everyone's opinion on who they believe is good enough at this level? As Villan57 has started to explain.

There is rumours of a new GK - IMO Steer should be given his chance. What I think may go against him, is Smith might not trust his skill on the ball.

I think the pace and flair of the Premier League will kill both Full Backs and these are and will be our main weakness if not replaced.

Right wing is obvious. Quality needed

Anwar needs cover and competition on the left. Good enough to retain his place though.

SJM and Jack more than good enough and will be key, no problems. I do think with more time on the ball that Conor can do a job in the EPL. His set pieces will see his stats remain fairly decent. Sadly he isn't good enough to hold down the only position available to him as a DM, and we need strengthening here massively.

Tammy, regardless of opinions, has just scored 26 goals, and with the squad harmony must be signed. He has to do better though when dropping deep to collect the ball.

Cases for the maybe's:
Davies, young, strong, point to prove - decent backup.
Kodj - unpredictable in this league, may love the limelight and turn up?
Andre Geen - Still young, still learning.

So basically as I said John McGinn and Super Jack plus the loan players Minga Hause and ElGhazi when its warm .

Koj has actually been as good Tammy when he's taken over but he doesn't play for Chelsea, actually neither does Tammy he's just owned by them Which I think is why people think he must be better than Koj.

Anyway we are minted and can spend what we like I hope 10 x£20m players and the rest to practice against in training :fish:

I'd take Wellbeck on a free. It's a no brainer.

Just coz he damaged his ankle doesn't make him a sick note. It makes him an unlucky guy just like our own Jonathan Kodjia.

If he passed his medical and his ankle was showing as fully recovered then to get him on a free would be fabulous business.

Danny Wellbeck is exactly the opposite direction that Smith and Purslow spoke about last week, we have tried that approach before and we have only just got rid of them.

Well as he is a journo for the Sun we can probably take it with a pinch of salt. However, no chance I'd gamble £15m on Lolley being up to PL standard

Danny Wellbeck is exactly the opposite direction that Smith and Purslow spoke about last week, we have tried that approach before and we have only just got rid of them.

When was the last time we tried the approach of signing proven top 6 players at the peak of their careers? I must have missed that.

It's one thing having an overriding approach or philosophy, but in reality if you pay £15 million for Neil Maupay when you could have Danny Wellbeck for free then that's just stupid.

So are we - as a club - against signing any player in their late 20s with proven Premiership experience?
I doubt it.

Not saying whether we should sign him or not, but if the right player comes along at the right price, I think they'd go for them. 1 or 2 of them in the squad would make sense

I'm not against signing a 28 year old on a free but I just never rated Wellbeck , I was as shocked as anyone when he went to Arsenal . I don't think his scoring record is that great considering he's been at two of the top clubs .
Doesn't fit the hungry criteria , although granted I don't know his personality .

That's something else we now vet their ability to fit in with the squad

Agree that's the main thing, is to get in players with the right character. Players who want to play.

I always thought Wellbeck fitted into that mould. Just wants to play football. One of the reasons he left United coz he wasn't geting enough game time.

Wellbeck has scored 16 goals in the last 5 years looking at his record.

Would cost 80k a week? 4m a year? Would want a 4 year contract.

Does not make financial sense to me, and nor would it fit the type of signing the club is looking to make.( according to Manager and Director ).

Let West Ham have him, he is right up their street.

I mentioned Welbeck a while ago. He offers flexibility as he could be a back up option to Tammy (or Maupay etc) and would be capable of playing out wide. Slight injury concerns but a free transfer and prem experience at the top end of the division, I’d take him although I expect someone else will offer him silly wages