The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 37 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

Is anyone else getting concerned that we are replacing championship players with championship players.
The premier league is not a place to experiment whether players are going to be good enough.
Jota is an ok deal for me because it’s inexpensive and helps shift one of our unwanted squad players, although some of the other players we have been linked with are more than underwhelming eg lolley (who wasn’t deemed good enough for Huddersfield when they went up), Mceachran, Phillips - no thanks

I love the way we all like to play "football manager" during the transfer window. Purslow and Smith have ready told us what they are looking for.

That means no to cahill, no to anyone overpriced (McCormack). They are looking for the next generation of footballers who will prove to be good enough. I don't expect to see Abraham or Maupay for megabucks. I expect us to be finding them before their value skyrockets. A sustainable business model.

Good point. Look how many wingers play down the wrong side now - Lolley a left footer playing down the right, Green, a right footer playing down the left. Emphasis on cutting in and shooting or playing a brisk through ball or one - two.

Although, I think this can become predictable, just as much as playing on your natural flank and crossing it back and across to the big man, it is the modern approach.

Maupay (5’7’’) and Gayle (5’9 1/2’’) suit this newer style.

Kodjia would offer a valid different option off the bench.

For those of us who have been around the block, imagine Keegan playing centre forward - would never have happened in the past. Come to that, how about a Ray Graydon leading the line?

I do believe Bruce Rioch was one of the first, if not the first, wide midfielder to play 'on the wrong side'.

I do believe Bruce Rioch was one of the first, if not the first, wide midfielder to play 'on the wrong side'.

Interesting to know, although I would have guessed.

Rioch was a pretty good player with a decent shot, so I can see the attraction in playing him in that role.

Time is the worrying thing about 8 weeks to assemble a new squad and get them playing together . (Note I did not use the Gel word )

This is always one of the disadvantages of gaining promotion via the play offs. However, neither Norwich or Sheffield United seem to have used their extra time to any great advantage.

It is certainly going to be a challenge. Late additions may need to be introduced gradually, once they have bedded in.

Don't take this the wrong way but, if Tuanzebe coming back is a no-no, we'll need two centre-backs coming in.
I thought Man U were happy to send Tuanxebe out on loan to us again.
Anyway, as much as I like James Chester, he's not exactly a Dean Smith type of central defender is he, more of an old-fashioned, kick it over the stand defender.
I mean he isn't exactly blessed with pace, so tends to play deep.
As for playing out from the back, the times he's tried it he's found opposition players, or played our own into bad situations.
If we sign Mings and Hause, we'll have two who play well together in central defence,so adequate cover would be the only thing needed.
As for Cahill, its a huge no-no thanks, if only because of his age, he's got one, at the most, two seasons in his legs. Never exactly a speed merchant, he doesn't fit the style of play required by our boss for central defence.

Interesting to know, although I would have guessed.

Rioch was a pretty good player with a decent shot, so I can see the attraction in playing him in that role.

Bruce hated playing wide right midfield and had many a heated discussion with the gaffer about it.
He wanted to get back to his favoured left side, but he always wanted to move to Arsenal as well.

Is there anything in Scotland we might be interested in? McGinn, Gray, Alan McInally, Allan Evans, Cropley; surely we can find another gem.

Hearts have a young (22) right sided central defender who would fit into Dean Smiths style I believe. John Soutar.
Eintracht have Jetro Willems playing left-back/wing-back.

Linked to Butland apparently - would feel sorry for Jed to make such a redemption and then get ditched when we got to the big leagues.

Linked to Butland apparently - would feel sorry for Jed to make such a redemption and then get ditched when we got to the big leagues.

I think this Butland link is press tittle tattle. I can't believe for one second that Steer will get kicked out - he's been excellent since returning in January and Smith kept him in despite his own signing - Kalinic - returning to fitness.

I can't see us spending on a keeper at all, certainly not at the figures mentioned for Butland. He'll end up at Manure or Spuds maybe.

Don't ever feel sorry for them , Butland is a top keeper if we could nail him he will improve us . Butland will move from Stoke to further his England prospects so why not us , I doubt Burnley will have room for another one

We've got Steer, Kalinic and Sarkic. Enough.

The club site was showing only Jack in the first team. It's now added El Ghazi. What do we make of that? Answers on a post card.