Transfer rumors | Page 25 | Vital Football

Transfer rumors

The signings we make will give a clue to whether we start to adapt that much needed coherent vision..... sadly, managers coming & going do not necessarily subscribe to it - which is just as important as the recruitment - joined up thinking, if you like.

Recruiting managers is part of smart recruitment within a coherent vision. How much similarity do you see between MW, AK and MON?

Unless we go for Warnock or Pullis next then it will be yet another change of philosophy...

Can't see that happening, there's no way Jokanovic would take a job without having significant transfer funds available to him & I'd be very surprised if Gibson would give those assurances, they seem to be trying to cut spending not adding to it.

Still, stranger things have happened.

Appoint Pulis.
Totally transform the squad in the mould of the manager - defend, defend, defend.
Part company when things don’t work out.
Talk to Jokanovic - polar opposite to Pulis.
All sounds a bit ‘Alan Hardy’ to me.

How much control do you think a manager should have over recruitment?

That was football two decades ago, yes the manager should be consulted about recruitment, but no more than that.

There should be a hear of recruitment/director of football in charge of both player & coach recruitment, then if a coach fails and needs to be replaced there is some continuity in style going forward.

This scattergun approach to managers & allowing them total autonomy over player recruitment has left us with 5/6 different managers players & is never conducive to a cohesive playing style, & then here we are.....
A manager keeps or loses his job on the strength of the results he gets with the players he has.

He should not have total control but similarly he should have at least some say in the proceedings.

We need a cohesive recruitment strategy but that should involve the manager rather than exclude.

Culture has to be bought into by everyone, from top down. Nothing in his tenure to date, nor at Olympiakos is particularly inspiring. Not being Fawaz isn't the bar for an owner...

You don't think there were other issues with Grabban beyond the odd injury?

It depends on what you call inspiring; I'm fairly sure a good deal of our support base have been inspired; inspired sufficiently to turn up in record numbers.

There are plenty of things to be inspired about; the club is in the process of being re built from top to bottom, we are run professionally, we have a new stand on the way and a makeover for the rest of the ground; it may be small beer at the end of the day but its something the previous two owners could not manage.

Even the playing side has displayed some improvement; not enough, granted, and it could have been better but for the management churn.

I do not blame Marinakis for sacking Warburton, I blame him for appointing him in the first place; there's no doubt he would have gotten us out of the Championship, not in the direction we all want though.

I'm not sure how the owner can be blamed for Karanka walking; do you not appoint a Director of Football just because the manager does not want one?

Karanka's departure put us on the spot; the number one choice as replacement priced himself out of the market, and it all happened at a time when we still had realistic hopes of the play offs and a January window to play with.

So, you may not accept it but there have been extenuating circumstances to date.

Going back to the culture and philosophy we all would like; given that the planning and implementation does not happen at the drop of a hat, and the fact that you do not always get it right first time of asking, and that we have a new Director of Football, 7 months into his tenure, who will be driving all of this, how long are you prepared to give them?

It will not matter who is in charge of recruitment we will always have failures in the market; all clubs suffer that to one degree or another.

There appears to be some method behind most of the Greek signings; they sign, play a little or go out on loan and then are sold after one season for a profit.

If we can keep profiting from such deals and there is no disruption to the playing side of things, I dont see a problem to it.

I would guess we took on Dias and Gonclaves after some arm twisting from the agent; we wanted Carvalho and ended up doing the agent a favor; that kind of back scratching will always happen - at least we did not end up with them on permanent deals.

We need to give Dourekas time to shape the squad; if he repeats what happened in January we should be fine, with an even bigger clear out coming in twelve months time.
I wasn’t particularly talking about failures, more why they were signed and who by.

There certainly didn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason to a number of them but who knows? It would be nice to see players come in who fit a pattern and a need.

It depends on what you call inspiring; I'm fairly sure a good deal of our support base have been inspired; inspired sufficiently to turn up in record numbers.

There are plenty of things to be inspired about; the club is in the process of being re built from top to bottom, we are run professionally, we have a new stand on the way and a makeover for the rest of the ground; it may be small beer at the end of the day but its something the previous two owners could not manage.

Even the playing side has displayed some improvement; not enough, granted, and it could have been better but for the management churn.

I do not blame Marinakis for sacking Warburton, I blame him for appointing him in the first place; there's no doubt he would have gotten us out of the Championship, not in the direction we all want though.

I'm not sure how the owner can be blamed for Karanka walking; do you not appoint a Director of Football just because the manager does not want one?

Karanka's departure put us on the spot; the number one choice as replacement priced himself out of the market, and it all happened at a time when we still had realistic hopes of the play offs and a January window to play with.

So, you may not accept it but there have been extenuating circumstances to date.

Going back to the culture and philosophy we all would like; given that the planning and implementation does not happen at the drop of a hat, and the fact that you do not always get it right first time of asking, and that we have a new Director of Football, 7 months into his tenure, who will be driving all of this, how long are you prepared to give them?

As I said previously culture is top down, it's not done in isolation of the owner...

No we do not have extenuating circumstances because like Southampton does you plan for managers leaving, you identify candidates who fit your philosophy and vision. Something we spectacularly failed to do.

AK walked after being undermined as you full well know. Where do you think the rumours of his sacking came from? Let's not pretend AK had a breakdown and walked away from a positive supportive environment that bought into his vision.

A new stand isn't going to address the fundamental failings we have in terms of corporate revenue.

As I said previously culture is top down, it's not done in isolation of the owner...

No we do not have extenuating circumstances because like Southampton does you plan for managers leaving, you identify candidates who fit your philosophy and vision. Something we spectacularly failed to do.

AK walked after being undermined as you full well know. Where do you think the rumours of his sacking came from? Let's not pretend AK had a breakdown and walked away from a positive supportive environment that bought into his vision.

A new stand isn't going to address the fundamental failings we have in terms of corporate revenue.

Southampton FC - recent managers:

Mark Hughes - March 2018 - December 2018 - 27 games - sacked

Mauricio Pellegrino - June 2017 - March 2018 - 34 games - sacked

Claude Puel - June 2016 - June 2017 - 53 games - sacked

The only thing all three have in common is the fact that they were all fired by the same club; they certainly have nothing in common with regard to style of football employed.

I'm not sure I have this right, but shouldnt Karanka have been buying in to the clubs philosophy and not the other way round?

He certainly should have been buying in to having a Director of Football at the club; how long do you think he would have lasted in any other line of business after throwing his toys out for having a manager imposed on him?

From memory rumors of his sacking came from the NEP, hardly surprising that the rumor turned out to be fake news.

I'm not sure I have this right, but shouldnt Karanka have been buying in to the clubs philosophy and not the other way round?

He certainly should have been buying in to having a Director of Football at the club; how long do you think he would have lasted in any other line of business after throwing his toys out for having a manager imposed on him?

From memory rumors of his sacking came from the NEP, hardly surprising that the rumor turned out to be fake news.

You could spin it the other way, though - while the vision of a seamless club ethos which outlives individual managers is seductive, we also want managers who have their own ideas. AK was threatening to get us into the playoffs, so to lose him at a crucial stage of the season smacks of carelessness, and we clearly didn't have a seamless replacement lined up.

You could spin it the other way, though - while the vision of a seamless club ethos which outlives individual managers is seductive, we also want managers who have their own ideas. AK was threatening to get us into the playoffs, so to lose him at a crucial stage of the season smacks of carelessness, and we clearly didn't have a seamless replacement lined up.

That is perfectly true, but the person who would usually be tasked with ensuring continuity had only been in the door a matter of days

Karanka walked before he was pushed, in order to give us every opportunity to continue the push for promotion. Or so he says.

Sounds like bollocks to me

That is perfectly true, but the person who would usually be tasked with ensuring continuity had only been in the door a matter of days
I'm all in favour of a club ethos but it's ironic that we hark back to glory days achieved under a maverick egomaniac!

I wasn’t particularly talking about failures, more why they were signed and who by.

There certainly didn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason to a number of them but who knows? It would be nice to see players come in who fit a pattern and a need.

well, ive said it ten times at least about the board picking players. AND if thy wanted a DOF in then they should have appointed a manager that was happy to work with a DOF. Karanka didnt get all his players and got players he didnt want. What manager wants that?

Tiny bird mentions to me that we are after Maddisson from Posh. Now this is a player I suggested we'd offered a deal for along with the lad that went to Direby. Coincidence that Karanka and MON want the same players this time around? time will tell I suppose, who else was bandied about last xmas as potential signings ? I dont actually remember being excited about many of them. Was Leyton Orient striker or someone that had been banging them in...? :)

Big news coming out of the City Ground. The Akinfenwa deal is not dead. Forest now willing to offer money and Murphy.

Hopefully we can get this one over the line. It's been a long saga but will be well worth it in the end.

You Reds!

He has one year remaining on his contract so there is no way he goes for 10m, or 5m for that matter.

Clubs will not get in to an auction for him; whoever offers him the best wage gets him
That should make him more affordable then, plus MON gave him his debut for Ireland and seems to rate him!