Today’s League 2 thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

Today’s League 2 thread

Nice set of results today for us. Beat Stags and it's as good as in the bag ( promotion that is)
16 points out of 27 for mathematical certainty of League 1 next season but it will be less than that in reality

By my calculations, if we win the next three games and ALL other results go our way, then we could be promoted by the end of the month!

By my calculations, if we win the next three games and ALL other results go our way, then we could be promoted by the end of the month!

We have two bogey teams in succession plus Macc fighting for their League lives coming up , so am not hopeful, but like your thinking.

We have two bogey teams in succession plus Macc fighting for their League lives coming up , so am not hopeful, but like your thinking.
Yeah, a lot needs to go our way along with our own hurdles, but it does show how close we are to being promoted.

By my calculations as it stands now, 15 points from 27 guarantees promotion (bearing in mind MKD and Stags still have to play each other)

But as others have stated, our competitors will surely drop points along the way so a lower winning target is likely

Let's face it, it will take a unmitigated disaster to stop us being promoted now , but I reckon the battle for the title could go to the wire

By my calculations as it stands now, 15 points from 27 guarantees promotion (bearing in mind MKD and Stags still have to play each other)

But as others have stated, our competitors will surely drop points along the way so a lower winning target is likely

Let's face it, it will take a unmitigated disaster to stop us being promoted now , but I reckon the battle for the title could go to the wire
We had an unmitigated disaster, at this point in the season, not so many years back. Fortunately, I think our minerals are currently more substantial than talc!

Counting chickens or what? It’s not over until the fat lady sings!

A couple of days ago there were people speculating that MK Dons and Mansfield might win their next eight games each in order to work out what sort of points total is needed.

So I put £1 on that. Unfortunately the £9k+ I was expecting to collect was blown away at the first time of asking by this afternoon.

10 points from 9 games is all that we need. So for Christ's sake relax.

A couple of days ago there were people speculating that MK Dons and Mansfield might win their next eight games each in order to work out what sort of points total is needed.

So I put £1 on that. Unfortunately the £9k+ I was expecting to collect was blown away at the first time of asking by this afternoon.

10 points from 9 games is all that we need. So for Christ's sake relax.
I've had the cigars out since we went 2 up on Tuesday.

In my opinion Tranmere are the biggest losers today. On the run they were on and given their remaining fixtures they would much rather be playing today. Had they prevailed at Oldham and the Imps do the honours Monday evening it would have put Mansfield nicely in their clutches, which would have been interesting to witness.

The relegation battle is warming up nicely, to all intents and purposes it is now two from three Conference bound. From way back, I have always thought Notts would pull off a Houdini act and still wouldn't bet against them doing it. But, I personally would like to see Mac survive. Whatever folk think of Campbell, he has made a positive difference, but will it be enough?

Last edited:
Deep down I know you're right and I should be nervously following every game until promotion is a mathematical certainty. But for the first time since the Graham Taylor era, I actually feel very relaxed and confident - and it's a wonderful feeling! Is that wrong?

I intend to enjoy these last 9 games to the full even accepting the fact there could be 2 or 3 defeats to come

As long as the management and players don't become complacent I'm sure we'll be fine. But in that respect I know we're in good hands

Of course if it does all go pear-shaped I'll be inconsolable, but that's a risk I'm prepared to take and according to the bookies it's a very, very small risk

Unlike two years ago we have 3 automatic promotion places to go for not 1, making it somewhat easier to do.
Can't remember when we weren't not in the top 3 this season?

Unlike two years ago we have 3 automatic promotion places to go for not 1, making it somewhat easier to do.
Can't remember when we weren't not in the top 3 this season?

Only week one when we were 10th. After that we’ve been 2nd or normally 1st.

Whatever folk think of Campbell, he has made a positive difference, but will it be enough?

He and Neil Ardley were appointed pretty much at the same time.

Campbell has taken 23 points from 18 games (which over the full season would put them around where Grimsby or Oldham are). He took over when they had 10 points from 19.

Ardley has managed 17 points from 18 games. He took over when they had 16 pts from 20).

In terms of personnel, budget and starting base it's pretty obvious who's been the most effective.

Macclesfield had a bit of a new manager bounce and picked up fourteen points from Campbell's first nine games. Things haven't gone so well recently - before beating Yeovil yesterday, Macc had picked up just three points from their last seven games, which is relegation standard.

It could be very interesting yet, and Cambridge still aren't completely safe.

Macclesfield had a bit of a new manager bounce and picked up fourteen points from Campbell's first nine games. Things haven't gone so well recently - before beating Yeovil yesterday, Macc had picked up just three points from their last seven games, which is relegation standard.

It could be very interesting yet, and Cambridge still aren't completely safe.

To be fair Scot they also had some hard games. In those 7 without a win till yesterday they'd had MKD, Bury, Colchester and Mansfield.