Match Thread: Aston Villa v Middlesbrough, Sat 16th March 2019, 3pm | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Middlesbrough, Sat 16th March 2019, 3pm

I suspect if he his playing his face he will either leave by his own accord or Smith will help him on his way at the end of the season. I cannot see him having any disruptive influences? I hope those days are over.

He is probably the only player who is playing for himself at this stage. El Ghazi falls into the trap as well but since Grealish has come back he has been a team player and tracked back to win possession something which was not happening when he was out.

Today I just thought get Kodjia out, best case is he scores a few goals and retains his value in and around what we paid. He is far too much of a maverick to play under Smith. Maybe Bruce will take him a few Championship sides would probably give us a half decent rate.

Great result.

This was one that i feared could be a loss with a Tony Pubelice '10 behind the ball at all times' breakaway goal. How stupid of me to worry so.
Whealan was immense today, gave Mings and Hause more protection than I have seen for a while and I had to count to make sure there was only one of him on the pitch. And with those three protecting Steer it seems to have given Taylor and Elmo a lot more confidence too as its one of the best games I have seen those two have also.

My only gripe is that I got wet.

It rained into L7

It never rains in L7

That was as good an all round performance we've seen at Villa Park, bar the Wolves game last season, for many a year. Being completely dominant for the whole game has been a rarity but today they were outstanding from first whistle to last. Quality of passing, movement on and off the ball, tempo...you name it, we were at it. McGinn first half particularly was superb, Whelan was terrific throughout, Mings and Hause dominant, even Taylor looks a different player. Conditions were horrendous but didn't affect us one bit. We're on a par with, if not better than anyone else in the league when we perform like we did today.....nobody will fancy meeting us in the play offs!

So, can we agree that DS does improve players :halo:

Think we should aim for 5th or 4th. One of Norwich, Leeds and Sheffield U is going to be 3rd; it would be best to meet them at Wembley.

This of course is dangerous; the big aim must be to finish at least 6th. But it's difficult not to look ahead.

Much as I rejoice in beating Pulis, it's Potato Head I really want us to beat.

We have won 4 on the trot and are playing some great stuff. This thread is 9 pages. If we had lost 4 on the trot and playing crap it would be double that? Maybe its easier to moan than praise. I try to be positive as i get older its better for my health and temper as far as the Villa are concerned. Just an observation BTW.

McGinn and Whelan outstanding today. Elmo was excellent. In fact all the starting eleven were very good apart from Green, but he is still a newbie at this level so I expect some inconsistency.

After beating 3 promotion rivals we have to make sure that we don't drop points against the poorer teams, as we have done too often this season.

If we make the play offs then hopefully we will have the advantage of Grealish, Mings, Hause, Tuanzebe etc being relatively fresh after not playing for a lot of the season.

Not getting my hopes up too much yet, but it's nice to be 1 of the half a dozen teams with a realistic chance of 5th or 6th, and the last 4 games have been excellent.

I think some of us are holding our breath. The remainder of the season has the potential to be one of those memories those of us around in the 70's cherish.
Long time since we've seen fluent, exciting, winning football consistently at Villa Park.

Given the last twenty years, I can't stop myself half expecting the wheels to fall off any minute. What ever the outcome, it looks like being another exciting ending to the season.

I will continue to watch in hope rather than expectation. VTID :utv:

Well, that was lovely wasn't it.

Think, a nice Cornish seaside Village, Blue sky, warm, waves lapping, birds singing, a nice Cream Tea in front of you , warm home made scones, homemade strawberry jam, clotted cream and a pot of tea, in a nice tea pot, and a china cup.

Thats how lovely it was !.

Mings is just oozing class, the guy looks like Paul McGrath Mk 2 , even Elmo and Taylor look good nowadays. McGinn is just McGinn, Whelan looks like Iniesta, and even though Grealish is in need of this break, he still captains the side brilliantly. Got nothing else to say , just well happy and if we play like this, then we will beat everyone.

MotM - hard on McGinn but am giving it to Mings coz he is just my hero

Just saying to the missus that this day last week we were building up to playing Birmingham and were a point behind them.... roll on 6 days later and we're now 7 points ahead of them. She didn't really seem to care though.... but I think it's something special.
5th place is achievable....I believe in Aston villa

So, can we agree that DS does improve players :halo:

Think we should aim for 5th or 4th. One of Norwich, Leeds and Sheffield U is going to be 3rd; it would be best to meet them at Wembley.

This of course is dangerous; the big aim must be to finish at least 6th. But it's difficult not to look ahead.

Much as I rejoice in beating Pulis, it's Potato Head I really want us to beat.
Sorry to sound like a bit of a downer on the day we break into the top 6 but I have to comment on your last sentence McP.

I do hope that Villa fans treat Bruce with some respect. Please don't forget that he was the bloke who turned around the toxic culture at our club, he got us to the play off final and gave us John McGinn. All of this whilst losing both parents and having cancer.

Please gentlemen, we don't live in Small Heath.

Yeah, admitted it in his major Sheff W interview where he explained the delay in taking control and the reasons for his 'extended holiday'. Was unreported during his time with us but something else he was dealing with as well.

I believe he beat it and is no longer battling following surgery - hence back in work now, but he didn't reveal (that I saw) exactly when he underwent treatment with us.

I'll try and find the interview and link it.

As said mate was unreported at the time, I only noticed from a reference on our Wednesday site that I stumbled over so I dug deeper.

There's no denying his obvious mistakes over the summer, but for me, those mistakes are understandable given everything in his own life, let alone at the club, and for him, he needed to go to focus on himself.

I for one, despite my criticism of him, would applaud his return in the future if I was there lol