North Ferriby | Vital Football

North Ferriby

Red Wimp

Vital Football Legend
I see they've folded as a club and won't be fulfilling the rest of their fixtures.
Shame as I enjoyed our visit their but I guess they were living beyond their means once the backing pulled out.
Probably would be still going if they had settled at an appropriate level

I see they've folded as a club and won't be fulfilling the rest of their fixtures.
Shame as I enjoyed our visit their but I guess they were living beyond their means once the backing pulled out.
Probably would be still going if they had settled at an appropriate level

Another club ruined by egos and money.

Very sad for their small group of fans. Reading briefly on the web it seems they were wound up over an unpaid debt of just over seven grand. How long does it take some Premier League players to 'earn' that amount? Really reminds me of 17 years ago when this could have been us

How very sad! Symptomatic of all that's wrong in the modern game. It's the fans I feel sorry for yet again. Stood next to a couple when we last played there. Just genuine local football fans!

Sad to see as I lived in the village for nearly 30 years. They provided girls and boys football teams for about 7 different age groups so it will be that aspect that the community will miss the most. Both my son and daughter will still have their goal keepers jerseys laying about somewhere. It will be interesting to see what happens to the land as the 'new' owner was making noises about what he would like to do with it (chancer?) but realised there were various covenants on it. I think allotments are back in fashion so they could always extend those or possibly Hull City reserves still play there.

I think the owners had some link to Hull AFC. Also read somewhere that they wanted a name change to East Hull FC!

I think the owners had some link to Hull AFC. Also read somewhere that they wanted a name change to East Hull FC!
The owners who put loads of cash into it were Steve and Eman Forster; Eman is the daughter of Hull City's hugely popular owner Assem Allam. Steve fell seriously ill in (I think) 2015 and they put the club up for sale. They effectively handed it debt-free to a local businessman called Jamie Waltham in November 2017; sounds like things have hurtled downhill since then.

EDIT: Apparently it passed to a local builder called Carl Chadwick in June 2018, who says that he was told it was debt-free. That appears to have been inaccurate...

Last edited:
I know business is business and you shouldn't get too sentimental from the business aspect of things but with all the Hull connections would it really have been out of the question for Hull City to stump up £7 grand, I bet if they had a collection at one Hulls home games they could probably have covered it.

I know business is business and you shouldn't get too sentimental from the business aspect of things but with all the Hull connections would it really have been out of the question for Hull City to stump up £7 grand, I bet if they had a collection at one Hulls home games they could probably have covered it.

That's the single debt that wound them up because the turf company pursued it. There's no financial advantage to the turf company in doing so because they will definitely never be paid now.

What we don't know is what other debts there are and whether it was sustainable anyway, but I think probably not: The current owner says he reduced the wage bill from £8000 a week to £1200 by "using local lads" but that's still the thick end of £45k a year just to pay a bunch of enthusiastic half-decent lads, without all the other costs involved such as travelling across the north of England every other week.

Another Yorkshire club who flew way higher than they should was Farsley Celtic. Like North Ferriby they had a large number of affiliated youth teams. Their season in the Conference forced them into liquidation too.

But that club is entirely reformed, playing at the same ground, and I'm pretty sure all the junior sections remain intact. The first team is on the verge of promotion to NLN. Certainly way ahead of Gainsborough Trinity.

The problem is, what happens the next time they owe £7,000? Or £10,000? Or £20,000?

The whole thing was a ridiculous unsustainable vanity project. To take a village team and try to turn it into a Football League club is an absurd idea that has ultimately resulted in the demise of a club in existence since 1934. The population as at 2011 was 3,893, which is a very long way short of being able to support National League football, never mind the Football League. Furthermore, they have a far bigger club called Hull City just eight miles away. How did anyone really expect that to end?

The owners of these mushroom clubs always swear they are in it for the long haul; but exactly how long is that?

I think this statement on their Twitter account about sums how they were probably being run.

Now I know my grammar and punctuation isn't the best but then again I think even I could do better than this. It looks like it was written by a 10 year old :shake:

1552661692202.png

Losing to North Ferriby was definitely one of the low points for me in the Conference. They literally are (or were) a village team.

It wasn't just losing either, they absolutely destroyed us in that FA Trophy game. That 11 was awful, with Dixon etc, but nowhere near that awful to get done 4-0 (Nolan, Tomlinson, Miller, even Nat Brown etc). We were just an absolute shower of a team.

When we annihilated them in the early stages of the Cowley reign it did show how quickly they'd turned us around, I think.