Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oldham Athletic | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oldham Athletic

We needed a game like that tonight, although in fairness first 10-15 minutes I thought we might find it hard work as they used the extra man in midfield well.

After we scored you sensed we were playing a team that were ill disciplined and one eye on the summer holidays - proven by Baxter’s reckless challenge.

After that despite playing in the head wind second half we were never threatened and really should have scored 3/4/5. I felt it could be a pivotal night, where as we remain our normal consistent self our rivals eventually wobble.

Tranmere's upturn in form is an interesting twist. They now have an outside chance of gatecrashing the top three. Not only do they have an away game against us, but they also have home games against MK Dons and Bury.

After the goal, we completely dominated and second half we tore through them at will. Two beautifully worked open-play goals killed them off, but if i were an Oldham fan I'd be worried about their complete lack of fight when they went behind.

Upcoming fixtures before we go to MK Dons on 6 April:

Sat 16th:
Bury v Cambridge
MK Dons v Stevenage

Mon 18th:
Mansfield v Lincoln

Sat 23rd:
Crawley v Lincoln
Grimsby v Bury
Mansfield v Crewe
MK Dons v Yeovil

Sat 30th:
Bury v Swindon
Exeter v Mansfield
Forest Green v MK Dons
Lincoln v Macclesfield

Tonight's results also mean that Newport are virtually out of contention and Cheltenham are pretty much safe: excellent timing for our games against them.

Northampton are also on a great run and could yet snatch a play-off place - just six points behind seventh now and must be considered contenders. Mansfield go there on 13 April and Bury have them at home the following week.