RIP Gordon Banks | Vital Football

RIP Gordon Banks

As a young lad, I had the pleasure of meeting Gordon, shortly after the car crash in which he lost the sight in one of his eyes, must have been around 1971-72, so I was 10 ish.

Was looking in the window of Northants and England cricketer Colin Milburn's sports shop (Milburn had also lost the sight in one of his eyes). Milburn came out and asked if me and my mate would like to meet World Cup winning legend Gordon Banks and ushered us into the shop, where we chatted to Gordon about his legendary save from Pele in 1970 and winning the World Cup.o_O:clap::yes: What a gent he was!

At school on Monday, non of our mates believed us.

RIP to a legend and without doubt, England's greatest goalkeeper.

Met him at a function where he was the after dinner speaker, regaling us of the '66 and '70 world cups. Class bloke and politely witty. Would have looked great in claret and blue (metaphorically, I know he's a keeper).

21st April 1962. Villa 8 (yes,EIGHT) Leicester 3 with the great Gordon in goal for them. Think The Doog got a hat-trick. A great memory of seeing the legend he became. RIP..

Remember watching the 66 final on our old black and white telly. My brother (HEITS) went mad when the "they think it's all over " goal went in. Watched it in colour on film in the school hall a couple years later when the film Goal! was released. When you think that we have the best league in the world an still have 50 years of hurt, it is hard to believe.
RIP Gordon - for my generation, you will always be a hero

that team that's got together up there, now has the final piece to the jigsaw.
Gordon Banks, the greatest keeper that's ever played the game. Could never understand why he was never knighted, when people like that blubbering cockney Brooking was.
RIP Sir Gordon Banks

I know I know, its Salford. But its very poignant isnt it - Sir Bobby Charlton will be there, one of the modern day greats in Gianluigi Buffon will be there.
It so should have been Sir Gordon Banks - RIP

Last edited:
that team that's got together up there, now has the final piece to the jigsaw.
Gordon Banks, the greatest keeper that's ever played the game. Could never understand why he was never knighted, when people like that blubbering cockney Brooking was.
RIP Sir Gordon Banks
To be honest,as a leftie,l couldn't give a toss about knighthoods. Old codger alert. Do any fellow old codgers recall the amazing few days when we beat the Foxes 8-3 and then thumped forest 5-1? Was Gordon Banks in goal for Leicester in that eight goal romp?

If everyone at last nights match at Brentford [circa 9600] donated £180, which is the maximum Gordon Banks ever earnt in a week, it would total around £1.7m which equates to circa £33k per week which many players today wouldnt even get out of bed for.

Today the great man was laid to rest. Once again Gordon, thanks for the pleasure of watching you play, and for the memories you leave for everyone.
I hope the FA hierarchy were at the funeral, but somehow I doubt it.
RIP great goalkeeper.