Rotherham | Page 10 | Vital Football

Rotherham

We must just keep picking the duds Kenny, McAleny, Junior, Robinson, Connolly were all meant to be top prospects but underwhelmed massively. Or maybe all the u23 teams are rubbish and Reece James is just a one off.

I didn't mind McAleny to be honest and Connolly was decent in his first stint, but yeah, the rest have been really disappointing.

I said 1200 away fans, not 1243. Assuming you were one of around 43 clapping wildly. To be honest groaning is being kind, those lads all standing in the rows at the front were doing a lot worse than groaning when Naishite walked past them sheepishly after that little incident.
Nothing like supporting your team by groaning and abusing players who make mistakes or have a bad time in a game is there.
Just the tonic a player needs to have people screaming abuse at them when they need encouragement most. Not saying they should be applauded by any means but a bit of understanding and not abusing goes a long way to helping players through a bad patch

It's not the player who should be derided it's his boss.
He could have played Fox LB yesterday and a 6ft 6 Olssen to counter the Rotherham giants but hey that would he logical !
Then you would be moaning we were playing a 30+ yr old with no pace at LB who was defensive and didn't get forward or put any crosses in.
Cook being defensive again.
Can't win can he

Then you would be moaning we were playing a 30+ yr old with no pace at LB who was defensive and didn't get forward or put any crosses in.
Can't win can he
No I wouldn't- at all - it would have been a sensible and easily understood decision

Can't win can he

To be fair i don't think anyone would've moaned at that. We all agree on 1 thing - that Naismith is not a natural full back and is defensively the weakest link in the back 4. If we moved a natural defender into that slot for the Rotherham game or rest of the season I think everyone would see that as a very reasonable call.

That's not to say Naismith doesn't add anything to the team at all going forward, but with how bad we are at bouncing back after conceeding goals over the course of the season it isn't a bad idea to minimise that risk.

To be fair i don't think anyone would've moaned at that. We all agree on 1 thing - that Naismith is not a natural full back and is defensively the weakest link in the back 4. If we moved a natural defender into that slot for the Rotherham game or rest of the season I think everyone would see that as a very reasonable call.

That's not to say Naismith doesn't add anything to the team at all going forward, but with how bad we are at bouncing back after conceeding goals over the course of the season it isn't a bad idea to minimise that risk.

I suspect that one of Fox's duties on saturday was to also cover the left side as was seen with a fair but crunching tackle on their winger - nearly sent him off the pitch.

I can see Naismith doing a decent job as an attacking LWB if we play 3 at the back like Beausejour who was also quite defensively inept, but I think Cook is more likely to have a defensive back 5 like we did against Swansea.

Can't win can he
Pilkington is a left sided midfielder so he should be playing on the left and putting crosses in. He is your kind of player Kenny a Left Winger.

Jacobs and Pilkington both want to play left wing so they can come inside and shoot as neither really runs down the line to put crosses in. If you pick both one in the same side one is going to be less effective out of their favoured position.

Cook seems to think Pilkington should be the one out of position but as we've not seen him on his preferred side it's difficult to know if that is the better option.

Now Massey is back assuming he doesn't have another set back he'll probably end up back on the right soon.

Jacobs and Pilkington both want to play left wing so they can come inside and shoot as neither really runs down the line to put crosses in. If you pick both one in the same side one is going to be less effective out of their favoured position.

Cook seems to think Pilkington should be the one out of position but as we've not seen him on his preferred side it's difficult to know if that is the better option.

Now Massey is back assuming he doesn't have another set back he'll probably end up back on the right soon.
With Pilky on the bench? Signed to cover then? Suppose it's given us a couple more options.

How poor a signing as Gibson been too? Awful waste of money. Was he injured too yesterday or just dropped for a kid playing out of position and another kid debuting.

At least Gibson has made a contribution this season - there are a few signings that are behind him from the previous January and summer windows that are worse.
For your info Gibson is only on a month to month contract so he could be released quite easily.

With Pilky on the bench? Signed to cover then? Suppose it's given us a couple more options.

I think that it's not so much to be cover, more to challenge others for their places and hopefully be so good they displace them. I don't think he's likely as effective on the right as he'd be on the left where he's spent most of his career, so i imagine Massey if fit and on form will take the RW spot back sooner rather than later, but Jacobs could have a fight on his hands to keep hold of the left sided role - which is a good thing as competition can only push both to play better.

I think that it's not so much to be cover, more to challenge others for their places and hopefully be so good they displace them. I don't think he's likely as effective on the right as he'd be on the left where he's spent most of his career, so i imagine Massey if fit and on form will take the RW spot back sooner rather than later, but Jacobs could have a fight on his hands to keep hold of the left sided role - which is a good thing as competition can only push both to play better.
Think both Jacob's and Pilkington will have a fight to keep left mid slot once Robinsons fit.
Naismith has got to play somewhere ;)

I'd be tempted to bung Jacobs on the right and leave Pilkington where he is. With Powell now fit it's about time we had selection decisions.

I would go...

Jones

James
Dunks
Fox ( when fit )
Robinson

Jacobs
Morsy
Powell
Pilkington

Windass
Clarke