Match Thread: Notts County v Lincoln City | Page 26 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Notts County v Lincoln City

Totally disagree.I watched Spurs in the pub yesterday and i know a few others that support them and Lincoln.I like the football they play however my team is Lincoln.
The problem isn’t with people like you. It’s those who have only latched on to the Imps as a passing fad. There were more than a few people in that pub ( in Imps colours) who were totally uninterested in the Imps team news that others were discussing. It was clear where their priorities lay.

The penalty looked like it was on target to me in the highlights at least, and the keeper tipped it round the post. So a decent-ish penalty, denied by a good save.

Last edited by a moderator:
One other point to bear in mind - the ref gave them a penalty in the first minute or so. They didn't score in open play or really theaten us that much over the 90 mins. We scored in open play and missed a penalty. So really, the only reason they got a draw was because the ref gave it to them ??

I read elsewhere a ‘fan’ saying that yesterday was 3 points dropped. Where do you even begin with that kind of stupidity?

I really thought Lincoln had moved out of the dark ages over the last few years, but there’s one reason why Akinde gets singled out every time we don’t win.

The second half Andrade / Rowe / Anderson 3 looked more effective I agree and as we’ve discussed before John does look a little less isolated with Rowe behind him.

Anderson’s long run and shot was an inch or two away from another goal of the season contender.
That run shows me another improvement in Anderson.

Two seasons ago, and even last season, one of his touches would have seen him over-run it, take a poor touch etc.

Let's face it, we play a very defensive game. One up top with a deep-sitting mid-field. It has been very effective so far. It isn't always great to watch.

I have an ongoing discussion with Imp79 about this and we both agree that, occasionally, it might be worth playing 2 up top and trying to put weaker teams to the sword. But I don't see that ever happening.

On another point, am I right that Rowe was moved out wide? Why on earth would you do that with a player who has just scored 3 goals in 2 games playing centrally in the link role?
I'm not sure it's a very defensive game. I think it's a risk-free one, but you can play a very defensive game and score the amount of goals we have this season.

As mentioned, the structured way we play is great out of possession, perhaps a *slight* hindrance in possession and definitely a contrast to Bury/Mansfield/FGR who play a very fluid game up front (but only Bury have scored more than us).

The penalty looked like it was on target to me in the highlights at least, and the keeper tipped it round the post. So a decent-ish penalty, denied by a good save.

Spot on- it was a good stretching save to tip it round the corner. Not JA's best penalty but a good save from the keeper.

On reflection i dont feel its a good point at all.Not much seems to have been made of they had a young,nervous looking 19year old in goal and they had i think 5 debutants in there team who barely have trained together,also an aged team.Akinde needs more support up front,442 anybody? Also if you dont shoot you dont score and we may have controlled the second half in some peoples eyes but did we have a sustained 10minute period of pressure with our superb players ,nope.
Im afraid its a very disappointing and bang average performance by the top team in the league against the worst.

We controlled more of the possession than County (48$ to 52%)
We had 10 attempts on goal to their 13 attempts

If you were disappointed by an away point in a local derby then not sure what else anyone can do for you- not the best performance but it's an away day, a local derby and an opposition who looked nothing like their league position and a point is a good result.

WIlson had an excellent 35 minutes after Bozzie came off and shows how he can play in the right position.

Let DC worry about tuning the team for the next game- as fans we should recognising

Beaten only once in last 14
Two points clear at top
Game in hand
9 points clear of 4th
Joint best GD in the league
2nd highest scorers in the league.
Only lost 4 times this season (same number of Manchester City!!)
2nd best loss column in L2

We controlled more of the possession than County (48$ to 52%)
We had 10 attempts on goal to their 13 attempts

If you were disappointed by an away point in a local derby then not sure what else anyone can do for you- not the best performance but it's an away day, a local derby and an opposition who looked nothing like their league position and a point is a good result.

WIlson had an excellent 35 minutes after Bozzie came off and shows how he can play in the right position.

Let DC worry about tuning the team for the next game- as fans we should recognising

Beaten only once in last 14
Two points clear at top
Game in hand
9 points clear of 4th
Joint best GD in the league
2nd highest scorers in the league.
Only lost 4 times this season (same number of Manchester City!!)
2nd best loss column in L2
Add to your list:

Most wins

Come on you Imps!!!!!

Very good chance that it’ll be a few years until we play at meadow lane again
Shame as it’s a cracking day out and allows a huge following

When will we see you again??

I read elsewhere a ‘fan’ saying that yesterday was 3 points dropped. Where do you even begin with that kind of stupidity?

I really thought Lincoln had moved out of the dark ages over the last few years, but there’s one reason why Akinde gets singled out every time we don’t win.

Well presumably because he's perceived as a record signing on top wages so expectations naturally higher.
And I'll keep cheering him on but he hasnt yet lived up to those expectations, whether they were realistic or not

Feel sure on radio this morning Horton interviewed/introduced "match-winner" Bruno Andrade and I see there is a separate thread about the literary efforts of Whily (or however he spells his name)

a few people saying notts played their best game for ages.
wasn't the same said after the port vale game [they were15th, manager under pressure].
and the cambridge [22nd, new manager] away game.
crewe [18th when we played them] certainly had a good time against us.

so, is it the way that we set up [cautious] that allows these teams to play well against us? they must start the game with fragilities, trepidation, 'what are the top of the league team going to do to us'. then we don't dominate midfield, we hardly threaten the keeper, they realise they aren't going to get hammered, and their confidence grows. it is like top team or bottom team - we level the game out and get into a scrappy dogfight, because we are a team with dna to be the scrapper, the underdog.

the hortin commentary regularly says 'lincoln haven't got going yet', and this is still how it feels imo.

very pleased we are 9 clear of fourth, because even after all season at the top, we still don't feel like a team with top of the table swagger. that look of a team that are gelled together and have clicked. consistency and accumulating points is maybe just the way we will always play.

uti.

Well presumably because he's perceived as a record signing on top wages so expectations naturally higher.
And I'll keep cheering him on but he hasnt yet lived up to those expectations, whether they were realistic or not

Now thats an honest and genuine debate to have and one which isnt personalised about JA.

He hasn't quite hit the heights i was hoping for in terms of goals from open play yet- i can see his team contribution and effort though. It could be our style of play (he often seems isolated as a lone front man which I don't think suits him) or a mixture of time for JA to work into our methodology and our methodology to adapt slightly for JA too.

Maybe our expectations were too unrealistic as well? How much did we genuinely know about JA before he joined us?

He is a good strong player- he is a confidence player too and, from what i can make out from his career, this is the first time he has consistently played in front of crowds like ours as a the main striker. That is a big weight to carry.

Still think he will get 20 goals this season and his assist/general nuisance in the last 3rd make him a key player in my opinion.