Reading v Aston Villa - Match Thread - Sat 2nd Feb, 3pm | Page 9 | Vital Football

Reading v Aston Villa - Match Thread - Sat 2nd Feb, 3pm

We are nowhere near good enough to get into the play offs and, given that the likes of Grealish and Abraham won't be here next season, Smith and the recruitment team are going to need to work miracles in the summer.

Wonder what Smith will make of that shyte. Surely time to drop a few. Bring the new right French right back in .......oh. Bring in the recalled Greene.......oh. Drop Taylor ........ oh

You just cannot play Whelan and Hourihane in the same team and expect to win. In addition to that Albert has been consistently poor this season. I’ll let others comment on El Ghazi as I’m not sure what to make of him. 2 points lost.

You just cannot play Whelan and Hourihane in the same team and expect to win. In addition to that Albert has been consistently poor this season. I’ll let others comment on El Ghazi as I’m not sure what to make of him. 2 points lost.

Adomah has gone back to what he was in his 1st season. Inconsistent, works hard but offers zero threat whatsoever. El Ghazi is also inconsistent, doesn't work as hard but he offers more of a threat going forward. Maybe if we could combine them they'd make a half decent player.

Also totally agree about hourihane and whelan. No pace, energy or even a forward pass between them.

More effort put in the second half but without any guile or craft from the likes of Adomah, El Gazi, Hourihane and Whelan in the team then we are always going to struggle and quite simply, they shouldn't be in the same starting 11 as we are up against it from the first whistle as they have proved over the last 10 games or so.

Time for Dean Smith to be brave and drop them because, on current form, they don't deserve to start.

On a positive note, Mings and Elphick looked decent and comfortable alongside each other.

I had to fight to stay awake through that.

I just do not get it one bit. About 6 games ago, Smith praised Kodjia to high heaven - and has benched him ever since.

He continually plays Whelan with Hourihane when everyone can see it. And now Jedi (who I personally like but he is NOT the future) is back in.

There is a reason why Bruce was sacked, and the players Smith is now picking is the reason.

Wouldnt be surprised if Elmo is back in next week.

Not good enough, we have about 10 under 23's playing for other clubs and at least 5 of them should be on our bench.

We will get hammered on Friday. I kept and keep saying, I will back Smith if I can see him planning for the future , well Hutton, Taylor, Elphick, Whelan, Jedi, Adomah is not planning for the future.

Abraham was getting nk joy, Abraham has said himself he likes playing out wide - why nit bring Davis on in the middle, Kodjia and Abraham each side, and either McGinn / Hourihane or the new kid behind at the end - nope, still Jedinak on!.

I didn't think that I would say this but I can't see the difference in our performances since the Bruce days.

Not at the moment. When he first came in we were playing good stuff. It has all coincided with Grealish getting injured, he really made things tick.

If it is the case we miss him that much, that is very worrying.

Smith surely can see which players are shit, yet he has done nothing to replace them.
Only plus points today -
Kalinic
Elphick
Mings
McGinn
Tammy

The rest were Sunday league standard at best.