Aston Villa v Ipswich Town - Match Thread - Sat 26th January, 3pm | Page 13 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Ipswich Town - Match Thread - Sat 26th January, 3pm

That mumbling twat is back to where he belongs. In Dean we trust.

The thing is he was never always like this, Norwich he was a completely different man who had them playing some nice attacking football and the club was pretty much stable and on the up because of him, it's insane to think by just having the Villa job pretty much ruined him.

Thinking about it I don't think McLeish has fully recovered from the job also.

Can someone please explain to me why they think Smith is deliberately holding the youth back. What he is trying to achieve by doing this. I might then understand the argument a bit better.

I said the same a while back.

He's either mad in the head or maybe, just maybe, the youngsters aren't up to it yet.

He sees them in training every day. We don't.

Whelan played well but for me apart from the assist for the 1st goal what does hurry up do? The bloke is a passenger in that midfield.

Could have, should have, but in the end, we were encouraging the ref to blow the final whistle. Definitely one of those a win is a win games in the end. My view of how the players performed as individuals coming up.

Kalinic:6 Doesn't give me the jitters, looks more confident than the last guy. What was that booking about referee? Surely has to be rescinded?

Hutton:6 Better than of late and went on a few of his mad runs second half.

Elphick:6 Cool head at the back looked ok to me. Not the long term answer but the best we have currently.

Chester:4 He was poor and liability yet again, how bad must Hause be if he can't oust Chezzy at the moment.

Taylor:4 Looks timid, afraid to have the ball, hopefully, this is his last game.

Whelan:6 I thought he did well tried to drive us forwards which is not his game . Much maligned on here by some but the hard nut every team has

Hourihane: 5 Would have been a 4 but Stato got a free kick right that again means he's beat McGinn as our top midfielder. Sorry but this lad is a bottler. How can a central midfielder be afraid of the ball?

Super John McGinn: 8 Thankfully he doesn't need Stats to justify his place , How he never scored a hat-trick only he will know . Another all action display from him . Needs to get Super added to his name by deed poll.

Albert:6 Looked a bit more like his old self but faded and Deano took the easy option to sub his wide player yet again.

Tammy:8 along with SJM he is carrying this team, should have had another 4 today. I can see him getting 30 this season lets hope it's enough.

ElGhazi:5 He wears gloves and long sleeves under a short sleeve shirt, need I say more. The talent is there but the Kahunas not so.

Subs;
Elmo Koj and Jedi I'd give them all 6 for effort.

Coach Smith: 6 Strange subs but got there in the end, just.

Ah, Mr. Excellent. The only manager to coach a team to take a goal kick backwards! Can we have a collection to buy the poor sod a coat? No? Okay, fair enough......
I noticed they were doing that thing with both the centre halves on the edge of the box for the goal kicks :grinning:

Could have, should have, but in the end, we were encouraging the ref to blow the final whistle. Definitely one of those a win is a win games in the end. My view of how the players performed as individuals coming up.

Kalinic:6 Doesn't give me the jitters, looks more confident than the last guy. What was that booking about referee? Surely has to be rescinded?

Hutton:6 Better than of late and went on a few of his mad runs second half.

Elphick:6 Cool head at the back looked ok to me. Not the long term answer but the best we have currently.

Chester:4 He was poor and liability yet again, how bad must Hause be if he can't oust Chezzy at the moment.

Taylor:4 Looks timid, afraid to have the ball, hopefully, this is his last game.

Whelan:6 I thought he did well tried to drive us forwards which is not his game . Much maligned on here by some but the hard nut every team has

Hourihane: 5 Would have been a 4 but Stato got a free kick right that again means he's beat McGinn as our top midfielder. Sorry but this lad is a bottler. How can a central midfielder be afraid of the ball?

Super John McGinn: 8 Thankfully he doesn't need Stats to justify his place , How he never scored a hat-trick only he will know . Another all action display from him . Needs to get Super added to his name by deed poll.

Albert:6 Looked a bit more like his old self but faded and Deano took the easy option to sub his wide player yet again.

Tammy:8 along with SJM he is carrying this team, should have had another 4 today. I can see him getting 30 this season lets hope it's enough.

ElGhazi:5 He wears gloves and long sleeves under a short sleeve shirt, need I say more. The talent is there but the Kahunas not so.

Subs;
Elmo Koj and Jedi I'd give them all 6 for effort.

Coach Smith: 6 Strange subs but got there in the end, just.

I think the subs actually worked. Once we settled down again after that wonder goal of theirs we could’ve had another four So obviously he saw something that would allow us to do so

I’m sure Dean feels our woes to the core. Let’s face it without Tammy’s goals we’d be stuffed. No other midfielder or forward other than John gets anywhere near the box. I rate Dean highly for getting a team to attack and create those chances but the personnel he has just can’t do it. Because we couldn’t take more of those chances we nearly got our regular 2-2 again. Through the middle of our midfield and defence we contrived to make poor Ipswich look like world beaters at times, you could see it coming again. It didn’t and I’m grateful but boy do we need some strengthening through the core of this side.

How many times have we been caught out by a long ball straight down the middle. It completely undid us again yesterday.

23 attempts in one game is decent ...their keeper made some fine saves, we really should have been out of sight, delighted with the win but in my heart of hearts I can't help but think the luck was with us yesterday (for a change) the penalty we got was soft and that was handball for them. But I thought we've been unlucky for a while (wba especially) so I'll gladly take it- long may it continue! (Well hopefully we won't need luck and we go back to free scoring team of earlier in the season)

I think the subs actually worked. Once we settled down again after that wonder goal of theirs we could’ve had another four So obviously he saw something that would allow us to do so

Yes once sorted out with Koj on the left and Jedi in the one-man defence role that he does so well. Jedi might not be the best footballer but he's as "skilful "as Whelan or Hourihane on the ball and far better than either of them at the defensive role.

Don't laugh we do it with Elphick and Chester! Footballing CB's they are not

This current trend is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen on a football pitch. 9 times out of 10, it ends up going back across to the keeper, who then just twats it long upfield anyway.

Utter waste of time and invites totally unnecessary pressure. Half the time, the ball barely makes it out of the penalty area. Ridiculous!

It's alright if you've at least 1 centre back who is OK on the ball. If not they just start panicking and boot it. The problem starts when as we saw yesterday you've 2 big lumps at the back.

Also good to see that Lambert is just as unpleasant and full of shit as when he was in the home dugout at villa park. The man is deeply unpleasant.

The issue with Chester and Elphick isn't necessarily the fact that they are not ball players. It's the total lack of showing by the midfielders. Namely Fanihane and whoever plays with him I.E Whelan or Barney . The ball ends up going across to Taylor who is immediately closed down because teams work it out and we lose the ball under pressure. This not having a Ryan Woods type fetcher and carrier at the base of midfield ball player knocks on to forcing Grealish to come so deep to get the ball as no one else is doing it. It's been going on for ages.

If the ball does go to Fanihane or A.N other all they do is pass it straight backwards or sideways instead of a quick turn and forward pass or progression with the ball at feet.

Last edited:
I thought we played it out less from the back yesterday than normal and when we did we just ended up messing it up. With the players we have I suppose it's easier to knock it up to Tammy but that's against Smith's way so no wonder we have issues there.

The issue with Chester and Elphick isn't necessarily the fact that they are not ball players. It's the total lack of showing by the midfielders. Namely Fanihane and whoever plays with him I.E Whelan or Barney . The ball ends up going across to Taylor who is immediately closed down because teams work it out and we lose the ball under pressure. This not having a Ryan Woods type fetcher and carrier at the base of midfield ball also knocks onto forcing Grealish to come so deep to get the ball as no one else is doing it. It's been going on for ages.

If the ball does go to Fanihane or A.N other all they do is pass it straight backwards or sideways instead of a quick turn and forward pass or progression with the ball at feet.
This.

And it is exactly what Jack and Axel had the ability to do. The opposition will close down the spacel so that it ends up with Taylor, who is very uncomfortable on the ball.