Wigan Athletic Vs Aston Villa Sat 12th Jan 3pm | Page 5 | Vital Football

Wigan Athletic Vs Aston Villa Sat 12th Jan 3pm

Looking forward to a trip up the M6 tomorrow as long as it's more successful than Burton fans on Weds! Not the biggest fan of Neil Taylor but feel we've been at our strongest this year when we've had round pegs in round holes so would start with him at left back, Hause and Chester which will enable Chester to revert to the right of the two where he's more comfortable with Bree given another chance to prove his worth at right back. Sorry Alan, you're on the bench. Would select Lansbury if fit. Can't be any less effective than the likes of Bjarnasen or Whelan. After saying all that, whatever team is selected should have too much for a Wigan side who I think have lost three in a row at home, without scoring a goal! :utv:The

I was really unimpressed with Barney against QPR, seem to recall he had a shocker against them last time too.

He ran around like a headless chicken for 20 mins, then seemed to run out of steam. He almost tries to play for us like Iceland play - they seem to all run around and are extrenely fit but it works for them.

If he had a better footballing brain he could be dynamite in the midfield in this league. He doesn’t have to run around like a headless chicken all the time.

I just can’t be pleased though I complain about Whelan just sitting there and Barney running around too much. :grinning:

I am not sure about Bjarnasson either. To me he seems like a typical “utility player”, he can do OK in a few positions but not really good enough in any specific one to be a key player. When we signed him he was a wide midfielder, he played in defence a few times and has now found a place in central midfield. He’s ok, he can score a few goals, doesn’t really make any mistakes but apart from that I don’t see him with any particular creative ability or defensive strength and doesn’t have the energy levels as an all rounder box to box like McGinn.

I’d have him in the squad and start him in some games probably ahead of Whelan in most circumstances but I don’t think he’d ever be more than a squad player

Barney's not a wide player. He's not really one who creates for others either. Think he's been best as DM. More effective than Whelan, partly because he's faster. He and Jack sometimes do well together but Jack's out.

Barney's not a wide player. He's not really one who creates for others either. Think he's been best as DM. More effective than Whelan, partly because he's faster. He and Jack sometimes do well together but Jack's out.

Mcginn aside.

Our central midfield is too slow and has been for years. The players we have at our disposal are just not quick enough in movement and passing. Whelan, Barney and Hourihane are fine under no pressure when teams sit back and don't press . They are in their comfort zone making nice looking safe passing but as soon as they need to move the ball on quickly or get hold of it quickly, turn and move on that speed isn't there . There often seems to be more of zip in the central midfield of teams we play. We seem to accept that a DM just sits there and plays nice safe passing sideways and giving it on, so Hourihane is fine, Barney is fine, Whelan is fine . I say that the DM should be and could be doing a whole lot more and affect the game more forward play wise. There are several midfielders in this league that I have seen that do the DM job better than ours.

Last edited:
No Hutton, Chester or Hourihane?

Might as well drop Tammy too and we'll do without all of our best 5 players.

Hutton would be on the bench, as would Hourihane.
Chester has been carrying a knee injury for a couple of months, so giving him a rest, time to recover, makes sense.

Bree has done well the last few games and doesn't deserve to be dropped.
Hourihane does better late in games when the opposition have tired. Plus he isn't exactly great at putting his foot in when needed and at home I expect Wigan to come at us from the off.
I'd give El Ghazi the more advanced central midfield slot because of his two good feet, he could terrorize central defenders.

I still don't think we've really seen what Hogan can do.

Fight me.

To get the best out of Hogan we need a central midfield who can see and deliver passes.
Hogan loves to play on the last defenders shoulder and make short clever little runs to gain space.
We just don't have central midfielders clever enough to read his movement or, good enough to pass to where he's going to be.

A team that doesn't rely on wingers getting the ball into the area would see Hogan blossom.

To get the best out of Hogan we need a central midfield who can see and deliver passes.
Hogan loves to play on the last defenders shoulder and make short clever little runs to gain space.
We just don't have central midfielders clever enough to read his movement or, good enough to pass to where he's going to be.

A team that doesn't rely on wingers getting the ball into the area would see Hogan blossom.

Totally agree.

I remember an interview with a Brentford fan after Smith came on board saying how he doesn't really use wingers. Obviously that hasn't been the case since he's come in because he has to work with what he has. We'll have to wait and see how Deano wants to play when he gets players in that will suit how he wants to play.

Every time I see Hogan play, I'm not frustrated by him but the players around him. Perfect example, and one which I've seen many times was against Swansea where he was free in the box but Adomah chose to twist and turn and take the shot on himself, driving it over the bar, while Scott was left throwing his arms up in frustration. I see this kind of thing every time he plays, he's not being played in by those around him. That's what he thrives on. Pick out the striker in the box, that's what he's there for.

Obviously Tammy is the main man for now while he keeps scoring, but I'm not buying into this rubbish that Hogan is useless. There's a proper striker there who needs more intelligent midfielders playing with him, give it time with Deano and we might see him prosper.

Hogan has a touch like gabby I'm afraid and will never make it at the villa as long as he has a hole up his bottom.
He is indeed crap , time to move on

Mcginn aside.

Our central midfield is too slow and has been for years. The players we have at our disposal are just not quick enough in movement and passing. Whelan, Barney and Hourihane are fine under no pressure when teams sit back and don't press . They are in their comfort zone making nice looking safe passing but as soon as they need to move the ball on quickly or get hold of it quickly, turn and move on that speed isn't there . There often seems to be more of zip in the central midfield of teams we play. We seem to accept that a DM just sits there and plays nice safe passing sideways and giving it on, so Hourihane is fine, Barney is fine, Whelan is fine . I say that the DM should be and could be doing a whole lot more and affect the game more forward play wise. There are several midfielders in this league that I have seen that do the DM job better than ours.

It’s funny how so few on here seem to subscribe to the view of your post. My view is that I’d rather have a good ball player in that position to ping the diagonals as that’s what wolves did last year and what Leeds are doing this year. Hourihane should relish that position but he’s too slow. Secondly, if you get that player and he’s fit - he’s going to make more tackles and interceptions than a Whelan type.

If we play Whelan we sacrifice pressing as a unit, and almost welcome the opposition to
come onto us. It isn’t working at the moment with Jack out, because McGinn breaks his line to press high with Tammy, whilst Whelan is sat ten yards too deep so a quick triangle brings a midfielder into play.

Without wanting to go on the Whelan attack again, I think it’s an instruction because Hourihane did the same in that position. We’re a 4-1-4-1 too often but we need to be more a 4-2-3-1 IMO.

QPR the other week had a midfeld who didn’t have a stereotypical destroyer in the park. They were around the 5’8-5’9 mark and that Freeman ended up running the game for periods.

As for Hogan, I've always defended him and said similar in terms of giving him service.

Problem is last few appearances we've created several very good chances for him and he's fluffed them every time.

That coupled with his new 'can't be arsed' attitude means for me it's over for him.

The fact that the manager who got the best out of him at Brentford was pulling his hair out F'ing and Blinding at him against Swansea for being lazy and not closing down, says it all for me. If he can't be arsed to work for the man who made him there's little hope left that he'll turn his Villa career around.

Wish I was there. Was supposed to be going today, but fete , and more importantly, money, means I had to give it a miss. To be honest though, walking out of Villa park last Saturday, I was glad I hadn't bought the ticket the day before.

I think we will win, and win comfortably, lets face it, if we think we have any chance of getting top 6, never mind top 2, you have to beat Wigan - and we will do - 3 0

Team wise, I really don't know. It would be nice to see Hause in, but maybe an extra week of training may do him good, if CHester is fit.

People are slagging off Taylor at the moment, but I honestly don't think he is doing much wrong. It is Hutton who is being thraped every week, and I hate saying that, coz in the last 10 years of misery, only Alan Hutton has shown any kind of commitment to the cause.

I heard Lansbury is injured which is a shame because for me, whilst Grealish is out, he has to start.

So... in short, have no idea how we should line up - all I know is - we should win.

Totally agree.

I remember an interview with a Brentford fan after Smith came on board saying how he doesn't really use wingers. Obviously that hasn't been the case since he's come in because he has to work with what he has. We'll have to wait and see how Deano wants to play when he gets players in that will suit how he wants to play.

Every time I see Hogan play, I'm not frustrated by him but the players around him. Perfect example, and one which I've seen many times was against Swansea where he was free in the box but Adomah chose to twist and turn and take the shot on himself, driving it over the bar, while Scott was left throwing his arms up in frustration. I see this kind of thing every time he plays, he's not being played in by those around him. That's what he thrives on. Pick out the striker in the box, that's what he's there for.

Obviously Tammy is the main man for now while he keeps scoring, but I'm not buying into this rubbish that Hogan is useless. There's a proper striker there who needs more intelligent midfielders playing with him, give it time with Deano and we might see him prosper.

Sorry, that is twaddle !

So it is the midfields fault for not having a creative brain. Christ, people think I hate Grealish, but this is the midfield that we have apparenty one of the most skillful players we have had. He has also had no marks like Robert Snodgrass not supplying him either.

Scott Hogan's technique is very similar to Lewis Grabban. Make runs off the shoulder, the difference is, one is good at it, one ain't - guess which one is good ?

Kodija flying to France rather than supporting the lads in Wigan ?! Bizarre .
Why is el Ghazi playing ? Same with elphick and Barney and Bree .
Odd line up

Kodija flying to France rather than supporting the lads in Wigan ?! Bizarre .
Why is el Ghazi playing ? Same with elphick and Barney and Bree .
Odd line up

Where is that? Has he been granted leave for family reasons or something?

Personally I think he is a waste of space and if someone is willing to offer decent money for him, it’s in everyone’s interests for him to go. He’s the sort of player who needs to move to ignite his career. Surely someone like Marseille would give us a few million for him?

Don’t understand the love for him on here. I know it’s a really silly little thing but he has nothing on his social media anymore (Instagram at least), not a sign of someone enjoying life.