Europe In Out Shake it all about | Page 149 | Vital Football

Europe In Out Shake it all about

It's happening-Just hope it isn't another false dawn! I can't see they have any option on the matter. The screaming fact for me is held in the last paragraph that Downing street and Brussels refuse to comment

......................................................................................

LONDON (Reuters) - British and European officials are discussing the possibility of extending Article 50 amid fears a Brexit deal will not be approved by March 29, The Daily Telegraph reported, citing unidentified sources.
The Telegraph cited three unidentified EU sources as saying British officials had been “putting out feelers” and “testing the waters” on an extension of Article 50, Britain’s formal notice to withdraw from the European Union.
A spokeswoman for Downing Street declined immediate comment on the report, as did a spokesman at the British ministry responsible for exiting the European Union.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ssing-delay-to-brexit-telegraph-idUSKCN1P127W

It's happening-Just hope it isn't another false dawn! I can't see they have any option on the matter. The screaming fact for me is held in the last paragraph that Downing street and Brussels refuse to comment

......................................................................................

LONDON (Reuters) - British and European officials are discussing the possibility of extending Article 50 amid fears a Brexit deal will not be approved by March 29, The Daily Telegraph reported, citing unidentified sources.
The Telegraph cited three unidentified EU sources as saying British officials had been “putting out feelers” and “testing the waters” on an extension of Article 50, Britain’s formal notice to withdraw from the European Union.
A spokeswoman for Downing Street declined immediate comment on the report, as did a spokesman at the British ministry responsible for exiting the European Union.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ssing-delay-to-brexit-telegraph-idUSKCN1P127W

That would seem like a sensible British solution to the problem, keep saying that you are leaving while indefinitely extending article 50.

Beyond my comprehension that, then those surrounding her and jostling, shouting at her.

That is NOT democracy.

It would have made more sense if they had called her too liberal or something, how on earth is she a fascist/nazi as they were shouting?

The lunatics are well and truly taking over the asylum, the abuse on twitter etc is bad enough.

That would seem like a sensible British solution to the problem, keep saying that you are leaving while indefinitely extending article 50.

I can only see a 12 month extension which I’ve thought would be the outcome for a long time, surely no-one wants years of uncertainty it’s not good for anyone (UK or EU).

Would an extension pave the way for Corbyn, Abbott & Co to get the keys to the negotiation table? o_O

Never mind "a piss up in a brewery", our shambolic government couldn't organise "a traffic jam in an airfield." 89 lorries? :lol:

£550 each? FFS....

https://news.sky.com/story/lorry-drivers-paid-550-each-for-no-deal-brexit-rehearsal-11601201

But we’re making Britain great again JPA. In around 50 years according to Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Whether there are shortages or not, the media will hype up panic buying in March. There will be pictures of empty shelves at supermarkets and queues at petrol stations, I guess it makes papers sell.

Easy money for them I would think! Yup I think all this is preparing for a second referendum IMHO

That’s the one thing I can’t see, is a 2nd referendum. I don’t actually want a 2nd referendum either personally, I think it opens a can of worms if the result changes. And even bigger if it doesn’t!

Would an extension pave the way for Corbyn, Abbott & Co to get the keys to the negotiation table? o_O

Really dislike them, would love to say perish the thought, but not sure they could be worse than the current clowns.

Not to be confused with me saying they could be better.

What a mess.

I just can't get over the lorry fiasco - you literally couldn't make it up.

Imagine The Thick of It writers coming up with such nonsense? They'd have been laughed out of town.

Then you have arseholes like Owen Patterson on the news last night saying there might well be hell to pay for a while, but we would be ok. Yes mate, you and your multi-millionaire cronies are pretty well insulated from the inevitable economic shock, but what about the rest of us?

Well that's another vote lost Maybot, Boris, IBS, Gove and JRM smiling wickedly! Up yours to the lot of you including call me coward and Osbourne.

I am really hoping we are on the way out of this situation we are in now. 3 days to come back with plan B whuch should be pause article 50 (ahh indefitinately)

We knew it would be a mess. I doubt any of us could have predicted any of this. Parliament looks like Animal Farm

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...-as-mps-vote-to-impose-threeday-a4034526.html

It's interesting that the poll numbers are still so strongly in favour of Brexit. If there is a second referendum, it's going to get very messy and deliver the same outcome.

You really couldn't tie Britain up in a worse knot if you tried.

It's interesting that the poll numbers are still so strongly in favour of Brexit. If there is a second referendum, it's going to get very messy and deliver the same outcome.

You really couldn't tie Britain up in a worse knot if you tried.

From a poll I read not so long ago, broadly there is still a very large Leave proportion although there is some switching from leave to remain. The noticeable thing for me is those that “would not vote” has hardly fluctuated! Everything going on and the remainers (according to a poll at least... enough said) can’t even rely on those who can’t be bothered. That has been an argument for a second referendum is the additional votes from the can’t-be-bothered-vote lot but I’m not sure it counts for a net +1.3m votes. Essentially it would need 0.6m leavers to change their mind.

The second interesting point is the leavers want two different things. Half (perhaps the more rational leavers) want some sort of softer Brexit whilst the other half (and it was split 50:50) want a hard Brexit.

So some sort of deal with a customs union but allows us control of our borders back and breaks away from the EU legal systems feels like the right thing for half of leavers (25%) and a lot of remainers like myself who think we need to have some sort of leave to satisfy the electorate here but keep close ties with the EU.

From a poll I read not so long ago, broadly there is still a very large Leave proportion although there is some switching from leave to remain. The noticeable thing for me is those that “would not vote” has hardly fluctuated! Everything going on and the remainers (according to a poll at least... enough said) can’t even rely on those who can’t be bothered. That has been an argument for a second referendum is the additional votes from the can’t-be-bothered-vote lot but I’m not sure it counts for a net +1.3m votes. Essentially it would need 0.6m leavers to change their mind.

The second interesting point is the leavers want two different things. Half (perhaps the more rational leavers) want some sort of softer Brexit whilst the other half (and it was split 50:50) want a hard Brexit.

So some sort of deal with a customs union but allows us control of our borders back and breaks away from the EU legal systems feels like the right thing for half of leavers (25%) and a lot of remainers like myself who think we need to have some sort of leave to satisfy the electorate here but keep close ties with the EU.

If they divide the vote between remain, hard or soft, remain will win. I suspect that one is a little too obvious but you never know.

If they divide the vote between remain, hard or soft, remain will win. I suspect that one is a little too obvious but you never know.

For arguments sake, assume that leavers are now 50:50 between hard and soft so that’s 48-26-26 in favour of remain.

But what proportion of euroskeptic remainers or those who want to uphold the original result would change from remain? It’s only (although still substantial) an 11% swing by my maths to get to a 37-37-26 situation where remain and soft Brexit are level. So 1 in 4 remainers liking a soft Brexit deal and changing their vote.

I’m a remainer but open minded to a good soft Brexit, unfortunately I don’t think our opening negotiation stance has been anywhere near good enough for what many would consider a good soft Brexit.

Essentially though you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

Last edited:
Many of the "leavers" are in opposition to the issues around immigration and the security of our borders. Their response to "soft touch" Britain is to exclude all migrants.
Whilst I am not entirely in agreement with this view, I do have some sympathy with the view that Britain is too soft. If you look at the current situation of migrants crossing the Channel in small boats, you have to ask why they want asylum in the UK? The majority of these migrants have journeyed across many countries in Europe to get to the Northern French coast. As soon as they enter the EU they are free from the persecution that they claim to be escaping, so why travel further and take a perilous journey across the Channel - Read what is on offer at the attached and you can see why https://www.gov.uk/asylum-support/what-you'll-get
If there was parity in terms of these benefits across the EU, then perhaps the decision when voting "leave" by some would have been different. Politicians being condescending and saying people didn't know what they were voting for is perhaps wrong and tightening up of what we give away compared to other EU countries might have led to a different outcome.

Migrants crossing the channel on boats suddenly hit the news... Surely this isn’t a new thing and this has been happening for years? If that’s the case, why are the media reporting it or are the french opening up their side to let the migrants cross?