Aston Villa v Swansea City (FAC3) Match Thread - Sat 5th Jan, 3pm | Page 10 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Swansea City (FAC3) Match Thread - Sat 5th Jan, 3pm

I thought it was a stupid line up
Difficult to get right though Fulford. He will want to have seen certain players and had to rest some, or contend with injuries. Would have got pelters if he'd played Chester and he got injured.

I think we can safely say that we have overestimated the strengths of the team and certain individuals for a long while.

It was bad enough having to listen to thr bollocks on the radio driving back from the rugby!

We'll be totally fucked if Tammy Abraham does go, which is most likely it seems.

Crap team selection it has to be said. Square player in a round hiole with Hutton being asked to play left sided CB. What about Revan FFS.

Has Smith found an old Bruce suit hanging up somewhere?????

I’m sure DS will give his usual straight up, no nonsense assessment which is all well and good.

But the management have now got to identify the problems, look at what’s working and what’s not, and change it. It’s no good an honest appraisal if it doesn’t change.

I’m still backing DS to do wonderful things at this club, but it starts with turning these journeymen around and getting some permanent reinforcements in this month.

Big month for DS...

As one who didn't follow the match except for the last few minutes, just a few thoughts, based on what happened and others' comments:

a) Kalinic doesn't appear to have a good start. Hope Steer is treated as a genuine competitor and given his chance.
b) DS probably wavered between resting Chester or Hutton. For this match probably right to rest Chester, but Hutton is not a CB.
c) Show how thin our squad is if resting Hourihane means playing Whelan. I'd like to see Barney played as DM, thinks it suits him, but DS may not agree. Whelan is not right for a DS team.
d) Bad luck on O'Hare being dumped into this lot. But it won't do him any harm.
e) Hogan won't have done his prospects any good. But it's something which we needed to find out about.

As we've beaten Swans twice this season, both under DS, not too despondent. But even with our top squad we're a work in progress.

That was as bad as anything I've seen over the last 10 years, truly awful from start to finish. Good luck to Swansea, neat, slick passing and closed us down when we had the ball. Fucking depressing that was with no excuses.

Woke this morning feeling quite positive and thought "lets go to the match"! looked at virgin train booking and cheapest return was almost £60!!! Decided I wasn't that positive! with train, ticket and a few pints that's something like £90 saved!! Imagine how depressed I would be standing waiting for train at New St right now!! Still depressed but £90 better off. Sorry for Callum & Keinan sat on the bench week after week without any play time then thrown in and pulled off or thrown in at the death. The later should have played in a two up front in striker partnership with Hogan or Kodg and Callum should have been given Grealish role in MF 4. in a 4 3-1-2.

I felt under Brucey it was very rigid, which was a 4-1-4-1 in my eyes (Bruce May have argued 4-3-3).
I suspect it’s the players and their ability. We’re like a Cadbury Roses selection box, a mix and match of players, abilities and styles who just can’t gel.

All we've got left are the fudge ones!!:confused:

On a positive note I thought Lansbury played really well when he came on and should play next week in the Grealish role Instead of Houlahan. Played Birkir instead of Whelan and Kodja down the middle With Davis to come on if not working. Drop Hutton And play Bree at right back and Taylor at left back and I think your find we have a very potent side

Also it said attendance was only 30,500 ???? Did they make a mistake when they announced it because it looked pretty full to me

Oh fuck me that was awful, I think the Dean Smith Honeymoon is now over. That was as bad as anything served up by Bruce or any of the recent clowns that have been entrusted with the managers role .

I can't remember a worse performance. As bad yes, worse no.

As one who didn't follow the match except for the last few minutes, just a few thoughts, based on what happened and others' comments:

a) Kalinic doesn't appear to have a good start. Hope Steer is treated as a genuine competitor and given his chance.
b) DS probably wavered between resting Chester or Hutton. For this match probably right to rest Chester, but Hutton is not a CB.
c) Show how thin our squad is if resting Hourihane means playing Whelan. I'd like to see Barney played as DM, thinks it suits him, but DS may not agree. Whelan is not right for a DS team.
d) Bad luck on O'Hare being dumped into this lot. But it won't do him any harm.
e) Hogan won't have done his prospects any good. But it's something which we needed to find out about.

As we've beaten Swans twice this season, both under DS, not too despondent. But even with our top squad we're a work in progress.
Not sure we are a "work in progress" more like, at he scratching the head stage!