Dean Ashton | Vital Football

Dean Ashton

ramAnag

Vital Reserves Team
So Dean Ashton thinks it’s okay to publicly slag off Richard Keogh. A tad unprofessional imo, especially coming from the same Dean Ashton who played in less than half the matches Keogh has already completed and spent most of his career at Crewe Alexandra.

Last edited:
Most Derby fans have been doing it for years ;)

Ashton is now a commentator/summariser/pundit/critic on TV and in the press. It is his job to pass judgment, good or bad, should he be criticised for giving his (honest?) opinion? Possibly not.

Having just read what he said, it is hard to find factual errors in it. There is a lack of nuance but the basic premise...........

Any road up, Keys is a grown lad and should be able to, like you say, take it, you know.

All too many football fans delight in finding a scapegoat, MA...I just feel that former pros turned pundits should be a little more circumspect. To publicly identify Keogh as the side’s ‘weakest link’ is, imo, both unfounded and unfair. Sure RK has his shortcomings, but he’s been one of Derby’s all time great value for money signings, he’s captain of the club and has regularly captained his country. ‘Also rans’ like Ashton should, again imo, show more respect.

I am surprised tinterwbthingy isn't full of folk lambasting Hudds for losing the ball just outside their box seeing that the move that followed saw Boro score, they are probably blaming Keys ;) There have been enough having a go at Nuge for missing his chance at 2-1.

This is the great downside of social media - anyone has the opportunity to spout bollocks, and many here among us think that reading such bollocks is a worthy thing to do. I give not two hoots (original expression censored) what Dean Ashton might say, still less what the twitterati might say. It has all the relevance of the bloke down the pub spouting off, except somehow the fact that you read it on a computer seems to give it more credence.

The "we really want to hear what you think" aspects of journalism really annoy me, and it's just a lazy way to fill column inches. I really don't want to know what Darran of Sutton-cum-Duckmanton thinks about keogh's (anyone's for that matter) performance, unless I know him and understand / respect his opinion. Anything else is just "noise" and I prefer a quiet life

The difference being that Ashton's paid job these days is to give an opinion that is then published by is employer. He isn't some random chap giving an opinion online because he can, despite not understanding what he is talking about.

All too many football fans delight in finding a scapegoat, MA...I just feel that former pros turned pundits should be a little more circumspect. To publicly identify Keogh as the side’s ‘weakest link’ is, imo, both unfounded and unfair. Sure RK has his shortcomings, but he’s been one of Derby’s all time great value for money signings, he’s captain of the club and has regularly captained his country. ‘Also rans’ like Ashton should, again imo, show more respect.

RA agree with you totally out of order and not very professional He should be saying Derby have defensive problems not blaming a specific player We've got enough bloody fools of our own fans blaming Keogh for everything with a know all pundit who has probably not seen us play I had to smile because he backtracked at the end and said "but I like watching Derby play "

Latest Rams News