Aston Villa v QPR Match Thread - 1st Jan 2019, 3pm | Page 10 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v QPR Match Thread - 1st Jan 2019, 3pm

New year, same old frustrations and yet another opportunity to close the gap wasted. Too many poor performances and the usual lightweight midfield. If Smith gets us into the play offs he will have done a great job, but I think that is unlikely. Too many draws and too many avoidable goals conceded.

As much as I would like to be able to, I cannot see us getting the 40+ points from the last 20 games that we will need for the play offs. If Tammy goes then I think it will be a bottom half finish, especially with Jack out indefinitely. Next summer will need to be very busy as we need to finally start a season well to mount a serious bid for the top 2.

Another frustrating afternoon especially with plenty dropping points above us....worked hard to get the lead then seemed to take the foot off the gas, allowed them to get back into the game and you can bet your bottom dollar they'd then find the net fron 30yards. A great strike but closing down would have been nice. Lots arguing for Barney to be selected and Smith was right to select him in front of Whelan but he was bloody useless today. Swans around the middle of the park like he's on a relaxing stroll on a Sunday afternoon. Zero effect throughout. Hourihane poor as well, thought energy levels of him and McGinn were well below what they usually are. They need a rest. Can't deny how much we're missing Jack and looks like he'll be out for a few more weeks. We really don't have much luck do we. On a positive note.....we're no further away from the top six and we've gained a point on Albion and Leeds....I have to look for positives, constantly focusing on the negatives ( and there were plenty today) is too depressing...!

Overall, very poor. QPR are a total disgrace, but we have to put teams like that away at Villa Park.

Hutton is a total liability. Bjarnason looked like he'd never met the rest of the team and Hourihane needs to hang his head in shame for his non-challenge for their first goal - he just backed away and invited the lad to shoot.

Abraham, McGinn, Elphick, Bree and possibly Steer can come out of that with any credit. The rest were pitiful, although El Ghazi's cross for the equaliser was a thing of beauty.

There was just no energy whatsoever in the team today, half of them just could not be arsed. Reflected in the very flat atmosphere as well. Nice of there fans to make such an effort as well :lol:

DS also said he hadn't heard of a deal for Kortney Hause. This rumour mystifies me, a player who hasn't played much since Lambert was at Wolves. Surely not what we want?

Nemanja Radoja is altogether a different fish. Could very much fit DS's style.
I read somewhere that Radoja is a non starter due to work permit issues and judging by his 2 appearances for Serbia that is probably true

Very disappointing today , and I had a feeling in my water that it would be a difficult day. Our midfield is a huge problem at the moment , all seem to be of the same mould and are incredibly weak and get muscled off the ball far too easily. Also it drives me mad that we never seem to pick up the second ball a factor that led to their first goal. Whether that is due to the midfielders not reading the game well enough I don't know , but time and time again the opposition seem to pick up any loose balls.

I have to say QPR were a horrible side , I thought Schteve McLaren was supposed to be a forward thinking modern , innovative coach , yet from the first minute they were wasting time , had players going down with mysterious injuries , kicked the ball away and did everyting they could to disrupt the game , even their physio got in on the act . A stronger ref would have red carded the keeper and was quite easily the weakest and worse ref I have seen this year.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Radoja is a non starter due to work permit issues and judging by his 2 appearances for Serbia that is probably true

Funny how these work permit things don't seem to hinder Chelsea and the like bringing in foreign teenagers by the bucketoad. Similar to when we were denied kalinic the 1st time yet Chelsea were able to sign Kennedy.

Kodgia, Adomah, Whelan, Hutton, Hourihane, Bjarnason, Hogan, El Mohamady, Hogan, Taylor.

Now Bolasie and El Ghazi.

In Smith we trust. He has started with the keeper.

How many more does he need to replace, get in.

That’s this season written off for me. Not going to happen.

Plenty of poor performances, but ffs Hourihane is never a DM in a million years.

I must admit I was utterly gobsmacked to see Whelan coming on. I had to double-take to see if Steve Bruce was in the technical area.

I wasn't surprised. Hourihane was running through treacle.

He was shit but game wise he has played 4 games in 10 days to be fair.

Been a steady decline since Baggies away. That shambles has knocked us. Coupled with the injuries to Jack, Axel and Taylor. Creativity and balance in the back 4.
No coincidence in my humble that things have dropped.

I wasn't surprised. Hourihane was running through treacle.

He was shit but game wise he has played 4 games in 10 days to be fair.

I was expecting Hogan or Davis, to try and win the game. Still had 10 mins injury time to go at that stage.

Hourihane should have been hooked at half-time to be honest.