Aston Villa v QPR Match Thread - 1st Jan 2019, 3pm | Page 9 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v QPR Match Thread - 1st Jan 2019, 3pm

Barney & Hourihane were pretty piss poor along with bollasie in my opinion.
Really miss jack as that link to the forward runners & they left back situation is a joke. Thought Bree looked tidy & should be the RB moving forward.

What's that 25 goals conceded at home !? Shambles

Yep.

If you go back to the Smith thread when he first took over I labelled the defence he had to deal with as a shambles left by Bruce . Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that as we haven't been able to sign anyone yet it's still a shambles.

Really miss jack as that link to the forward runners & they left back situation is a joke. Thought Bree looked tidy & should be the RB moving forward.

They both make Whelan look like Pirlo , they really are shite. Hourihane boils my pea he's so slow, weak defensively on both their goals. Barney has reverted to the player we had 2 years ago . SJM is playing on his own

A great time for a cup game to come along. Give Smith a chance to rest a few, we have had a lot of games recently, and try a few new faces from purchases or u23.
It also allows extra time for injuries to be worked on, and whilst a win would be nice it doesnt really matter too much, but that is for another thread as I seem to remember the importance of a cup win being a toxic topic last season.

I think I'd be viewed by others as an optimist but I must admit today was a flattener for me. Groundhog day. Not sure why this one hit me but thought we were woeful after going one up.

QPR had offered nothing at all, we get a goal and....? Surely you'd go for the jugular? Nope. Not us. We sat back and fecked about.

The premiership would eat us alive.

Petty people as staff there as well. Go to the topnof the stairs and get told to get out not stand like people always have there, everyone moves when the disabled folks need to get through.

They don't deserve our custom and loyalty at all. Pathetic jobsworths

Well there's 2 hours of my life l will not get back to say it was average would be to good for it. Rubbish that's a better way of putting it.And without this kid from Chelsea we could be fighting relegation but as it his he his keeping us afloat

Yes. Sadly agree. Thought bolasie was meant to be a great player?

I think we can sum that game up with 3 comments

1. The referee was incredibly weak - they came with a gameplan to strangle the game and the referee was perfect for it.
2. QPR are a cuntish side to play against they are a legitimate anti-football team - you have to applaud the gameplan but again they would have lost if the referee had a spine.
3. We're still very much a team in transition and completely lack a threat through the middle without Jack.

That is probably one if not the most frustrating games of football I have ever seen. I couldnt even call it football they dragged us down 3 or 4 levels it was atrocious.

Just got home and feeling very flat. No Jack no party and he's apparently out all this month which will cost us a play off place if we can't get someone with a bit of attacking sparkle in.

Once again all our problems stem from the lack of pace and energy in the side, especially the middle. Bjarnisson wasn't great, hourihane was abysmal and McGinn tried his heart out but sometimes tries to hold onto the ball too much. Again without Jack we've nothing in the middle of the park. They're all run around players with not enough quality.

Steer and Elphick did ok. As did Bree. Hutton I'm afraid to say was pure shite. Gave the ball away numerous times under little or no pressure and got nowhere near their winger all game. I know it's not his natural position but that today was just not good enough.

Adomah worked hard but his final ball was poor. Kodjia is so frustrating, him and Bolasie seem to be morphing into the same player. Both seem and look like they're going to do something but they never do. Today both of them had chances where they did all the hard work but then completely blew the end product. We're fucked if Abraham goes.

We need more than minor surgery unfortunately. This side has some decent players but most of them can't do what's required. To many hard working midfielders with no creativity. Too many players capable of moments of magic but no consistency. Too many slow, old, low energy players. I believe in Smith and think he'll get us up but unless we have a brilliant transfer window it won't be this season.

I would also like to second what CDX_EIRE said. QPR were time wasting from the 1st minute and their keeper was a complete disgrace. He spent at least 7 or 8 minutes pretending to be injured. If it was a legitimate head injury that has a player duwn that long they would never have left him on. The ref was pathetic and fell for all they're tricks over and over. I would be ashamed if my club were pulling some of the stunts they were.

Abraham is a great goal getter but his hold up play is dire , nothing sticks up front. He's the least of our worries though.

QPR were playing for a draw from the first minute.

They went one nil down and immediately went from one to two up front. They then went on top.

As soon as they equalised they reverted to one up front again.

Their time wasting was abysmal. The referee was abysmal. Letting them take their free kicks from the wrong place and then pulling us back when we tried to take a quick free kick for it not being in the right place.

Last edited:
Listened to DS today. Spot on, as usual. Said after the first goal we should have gone on and killed it, but relaxed instead. Also reckoned McGinn and Hourihane were knackered after 4 matches in 12 days. Re Grealish said it was a bone injury, he's out of his boot but he's assuming he won't be back in January.

I'm getting a feeling we shouldn't expect too much of Bolasie. He's obviously got skill, but is he just getting game time with next season in mind?

DS also said he hadn't heard of a deal for Kortney Hause. This rumour mystifies me, a player who hasn't played much since Lambert was at Wolves. Surely not what we want?

Nemanja Radoja is altogether a different fish. Could very much fit DS's style.

I would also like to second what CDX_EIRE said. QPR were time wasting from the 1st minute and their keeper was a complete disgrace. He spent at least 7 or 8 minutes pretending to be injured. If it was a legitimate head injury that has a player duwn that long they would never have left him on. The ref was pathetic and fell for all they're tricks over and over. I would be ashamed if my club were pulling some of the stunts they were.
what do you expect with brolly man

The energy that Smith injected into the team seems to have faded a bit. The Christmas schedule has taken a lot out of them. I thought Bree did well enough to be worth another look. Steer did well enough but that midfield, minus Jack, looks pedestrian.