The Politics Thread | Page 95 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

Cameron promised an EU referendum in one of his manifestos, I see to recall him delaying it until his 2nd term unless I’m mistaken.

I think Cameron got some things wrong, a lot of hardship on disability benefits for example, and probably the biggest was the way the EU referendum was held.

To my mind, he was only doing what he promised - albeit carelessly. Or am I missing something?

It was also largely Cameron who turned a lot of us (me included) quite Euroskeptic then all of a sudden the EU was great.

David Cameron promises in/out referendum on EU http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21148282

Cameron promised a referendum in a cynical attempt to win voters in that election . And then once he won that election he thought that he had the support and would then breeze the Brexit vote. He totally misjudged his popularity and his government's popularity because the opposition at the time of the election was non existent and many used Brexit as a protest vote against him and his party.

many used Brexit as a protest vote against him and his party.

This is the huge problem, even if just 2% of voters used it as a protest vote like the local council elections then that swings the outcome. Fine margins.

I seem to remember UKIP having a lot of seats only a few elections ago and getting into some Tory heartlands, so it was to perhaps appease them and keep UKIP from getting stronger.

This is the huge problem, even if just 2% of voters used it as a protest vote like the local council elections then that swings the outcome. Fine margins.

I seem to remember UKIP having a lot of seats only a few elections ago and getting into some Tory heartlands, so it was to perhaps appease them and keep UKIP from getting stronger.

UKIP were getting more popular but they only ever had a couple of seats and that was only for a short period of time, and both were existing MP’s who switched from conservative to UKIP to jump on the bandwagon.

I think Cameron thought he could win it easily and then put the issue to bed and move on.. but he fucked it up massively. The remain campaign was “project fear”, a lot of their points were / are true (at least more true than the leave campaign) but the problem is most people don’t understand economics, financial systems and global trade to really care what they were saying - but that’s all they were talking about. And when so many people have been ignored and marginalised by successive governments it’s hard for those individuals to take the politicians seriously when they will be impacted by the potential economic impact

Ca-moron, started all of the verbal and physical violence against, the unemployed, the ill, the homeless, the disabled and immigrants.
Ca-moron and Osbourne made the bottom 90% of earners pay for the Bank bail-out but, in such a way that the national debt has nearly tripled from when they took office.
Millionaires have got vastly richer under Ca-moron and Osbourne while everyone else has gotten poorer.
Ca-moron and Osbourne believed in trickle down economics, that is, give the top 1% of earners too much money for them to put anywhere or do anything with and it will fall out of their pockets for those lower down the money tree to pick up. This idea only works in a drinks tree of glasses.
Ca-moron and Osbourne only enacted Tory ideology. They, the Tory's, have never given a flying fuck for anyone who isn't one of their own and they never will.
Life for the general population always gets worse when the Tory's are in power because of that ideology.
I have always believed that to build something that will stand the test of time, no matter what it is, a house, a bridge, or society, it needs a strong solid foundation to stand on.

I shall miss David Dimbleby, I've always enjoyed the way he's chaired Question Time.

25 years though, goodness me, I can still remember when Sir Robin Day stepped down.

Caught that earlier, not watching in ages - I just wish he hadn't stepped in when somebody was on the ropes but seeing someone pummelled isn't exactly the aim is it.

Dimbleby used to piss me off, with his forever interrupting when a panel member was trying to answer a question.
Those interruptions inevitably changed the emphasis of the question and therefore the answer.
When Robin Day did it, it was because the one answering was waffling and trying to answer a question they weren't asked.
The show needs a strong chair to keep guests on point but, not to be biased one way or the other.
I don't think Fiona Bruce is a strong enough character, a lot prettier but not strong ebough.

Well PMQ's was interesting.

2 things we learnt:

1 - Corbyn is a fucking idiotic liar (I waited until replays) - woman/people have different mouth shapes.

2 - Leadsom is a snidey fucker making it all about her, when I remember she accepted Bercow's explanation previously but she couldn't resist (not like there are more important things to deal with eh).

Would anybody be bothered if May had said "stupid man" when addressing a male MP?

Think there are more important things to be spending valuable time on.

Thought Corbyn wanted to bring a new kind of politics to Parliament? He's every bit as much of a fraud as so many of the others (not all) there. Middle class twerp.

Corbyn out does himself, it was a Tory game fuelled by the media and nobody is talking about the homeless man who died near Parliament yesterday.

Neither was Corbyn yesterday before he called her a stupid woman!

Very good ironside!

And yes, agreed MF. To use the death of a homeless man to make a point about how the media are 'obsessing' is trite anyway.

If he was a backbencher, it would be one thing, but he chose to be leader of a party, for that reason he has to set the tone and be above that sort of rubbish. Or just tell the truth...... I shouldn't have said it, but I think she was being stupid. I didn't say all women were stupid... etc.......

I really do despair. Look at the 'talent' ready to take over from May. :shake: And look at the Labour party set up now Momentum are back in charge :shake:

It opens the door for more extreme politics as well, a bit less chaos at the moment really would be nice.

It's funny that no matter what Corbyn does, he gets criticised for it.

His policies are very much in line with what the British say they want when they are polled but he is constantly criticised by the media. No matter what he does, it's spun as the wrong thing. I firmly believe that there is a media adgenda against him because his policies favour people over profits and that's a threat to the establishment.

The British establishment seems very adept at getting the British people to vote against their interests.