Academy Analysis | Vital Football

Academy Analysis

U/23's at Barnsley today,you goin Pops? UTCB

I don't think so. I was quite tempted Rod, but I have a lot to get through today, and doing a half arsed job, so I can rush up to Barnsley to stand in the peeing rain isn't all that appealing. How about you..?

I don't think so. I was quite tempted Rod, but I have a lot to get through today, and doing a half arsed job, so I can rush up to Barnsley to stand in the peeing rain isn't all that appealing. How about you..?
I'm still undecided mate,i'll mek a decision abart 11am,as much as i like Barnsley as a tarn it aint very appealin to be watchin a academy game when it's wazzin it darn altho there is cover at Barnsley's academy pitch.UTCB

Noticed this thread on S2 by the much travelled Phil Ball-Sup. Thought it might be interesting for the Academy watchers.

http://trainingground.guru/articles/academy-productivity-rankings-2017/18

Not sure about the methodology used to assess the relative “success” of the various Academies, but (if we take his findings at face value) it is interesting to see Man City as low as they are. Considering the huge amounts of cash they have thrown at it, plus their very aggressive pursuits of young talent, 11th. is a pretty poor performance. Hopefully, that will continue and they will eventually decide to change their modus operandi.

The methodology is explained below the table of results. It look at academy graduates (English only) and the highest league they played at least one game in during the year. Not surprisingly we are high on the Second Tier clubs. Charlton seem very good at producing L1 players

The methodology is explained below the table of results. It look at academy graduates (English only) and the highest league they played at least one game in during the year. Not surprisingly we are high on the Second Tier clubs. Charlton seem very good at producing L1 players

Yes, sorry FKB, I didn’t express as clearly as I might have. What I really meant was that I am unsure as to whether that particular method and its findings, is relevant to measuring the relative “success” of the various Academies. Obviously, in this case, the creator of the table was trying to discern which academy might offer his son the best long term chance of a good career. Whether or not his findings helped in that regard, is open to question.
An interesting exercise though.

I think its as good as any measure. I've seen measures of 'improvement' (not quite sure hope you measure that..). The academies are trying to produce successful professional footballers, so seeing how many played at what level when they graduated is a fair choice.

I know people get a bit attached to winning or losing at academy level, but I really like our approach of playing the kids in several positions, playing them young, loaning them out early. I do genuinely think that helps their development no end. The only shame is how few of them come through to first team squad.

I think its as good as any measure. I've seen measures of 'improvement' (not quite sure hope you measure that..). The academies are trying to produce successful professional footballers, so seeing how many played at what level when they graduated is a fair choice.

I know people get a bit attached to winning or losing at academy level, but I really like our approach of playing the kids in several positions, playing them young, loaning them out early. I do genuinely think that helps their development no end. The only shame is how few of them come through to first team squad.

The next time you're up at Stocky FKB and you see Del Geary, ask him about the Clubs policy, he will tell you the thinking behind it, I've found him very open minded about it all.