Championship survival | Vital Football

Championship survival

TRUE BELIEVER

Vital Football Hero
What does everyone think will be the amount of points needed to survive this season?

Three of the last four seasons have needed around 40+. Our last season we accrued 42 and Blackburn were relegated with us on 51 will that be the sort of figure we are going to need this season ?

We have three games to the halfway point, Derby, Ipswich and Birmingham. Five points from them would put us on 30 points going into the second half of the season. Can we win four or five games in the second half of the season to give us a chance. Personally I think we can.

Lets try and have decent discussion on this and leave the politics to the politicians for a while.

I think 2 of the places are already nailed...Tractor boys and Horwich FC are both struggling to get the points needed. Rotherham look like they have a few results in um as do Millwall. Hull are a bit iffy as are Reading. It's a tight call but I think as many as 8 teams are up for the last slot but I think about 43 or 44 should do it.

Recall reading an article last season and the average points needed to stay up over the previous 10 years I think was 47. Within that there was quite a substantial fluctuation over individual seasons. Double our points tally we have now and we reach 50 which 'should' be enough. Despite our issues and level of recent performances I still think we are better than 3 other teams. No room for complacency however.

I think 2 of the places are already nailed...Tractor boys and Horwich FC are both struggling to get the points needed. Rotherham look like they have a few results in um as do Millwall. Hull are a bit iffy as are Reading. It's a tight call but I think as many as 8 teams are up for the last slot but I think about 43 or 44 should do it.

We could however throw the Tractor Boys a lifeline, if we remain true to our usual form. :hmmm:

Confident we will reach more points than at least three other teams, and that we will be in the Championship again next season.?

50 should be enough. Some absolute dross down the bottom this season. Ipswich and Bolton won’t get near 50. Then one of Reading/Hull/Rotherham will probably end up going down on around 48. We’ll finish somewhere in the lower end of midtable. Folks asked for a season of chilled out mid table mediocrity and I think it’s going to happen.

Few players in Jan we will be fine , we have proven what we can do a few times already this season a few tweaks and mid table for us .
Tough game Saturday but winnable , they have a couple lads we need to get close to but have blown up a couple times this season as well ..

I think we'll end up around the 60+ point mark. With our injuries clearing up and possibly a few comings and goings in January we'll be comfortable.

I've got to be honest I'm concerned. There are some awful teams in this league and we should stay up but we are poor at winning the high pressure six pointers and those are the games that give you the fine margins.

Combine that with our horific away record that shows little sign of turning around i am worried.

......... Combine that with our horific away record that shows little sign of turning around i am worried.

Though I suppose there's not much argument re the 6 pointers (even though we had the same issue last season - albeit at the other end of the league), surely the fact that our excellent home record balances out our poor away record should give you some confidence KDZ.

We haven't really had any high pressure 6 pointers yet.
I suppose Bolton was the first Chet....... & Ipswich coming up. Millwall maybe was too given their form since. Nob End?

Note: 6 pointer doesn't equate to "must win".

Edit - I forgot all about Reading. Shit! Now I can't re-forget it!

Last edited:
I can see Kings perspective on this. We have been pretty poor in recent months - home and away. We can't discount our horrendous away form. We should have won Saturday yet got fortunate the referee made an error and didn't award them a penalty. However the Blackburn approach showed there is more than one way to skin a cat. Having seen ipswich on the tv the other week and having seen first hand the likes of reading, Bolton and Millwall I genuinely think we're better than them and a few others. Get some injuries cleared up and strengthen in January and we should be better placed and effectively are half way to survival points wise. What we can't do is capitulate next week at Portman road and give them hope and momentum. I'm going to that one and given our tendency to break teams unwanted club and personal records I'm not overly confident about a result.

All that said I think we'll stay up, as this time around there are worst teams than us. We just need to avoid complaceny.

I can understand all that MiW, but surely if "we can't discount our horrendous away form" , then the same measure applies for home form.

Beat Derby, and I'd take a point in Suffolk right now.

Ipswich yet to win at home all season. I watched the highlights against Bristol when the keeper literally threw the ball into the net twice to give Bristol the win. Lose to them and we might as well pack up and forfeit every away game from now until the end of the season. I reckon we’d still stay up on the last day on home games alone. :LOL:

I can understand all that MiW, but surely if "we can't discount our horrendous away form" , then the same measure applies for home form.

Beat Derby, and I'd take a point in Suffolk right now.

Prefer it the other way around but yes definitely be happy with 4 from the next two. Derby Wigan fixtures tend to go in favour of the away team so I'm not expecting much Saturday. I'm not discounting our home form but we don't win them all, but just 4 (I think) points away so far is woeful.