Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest , Wednesday 28th November 19.45 K.O | Page 18 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest , Wednesday 28th November 19.45 K.O

My player ratings, now I’m fully awake again. Most bizarre game and feeling I’ve had at Villa Park in 50 years. Don’t know what I make of it, great attacking keystone cops defending. Great game for the neutral I suppose as they say. My pre game prediction of 5-3 looked on the cards at HT. So I guess I’m a bit disappointed as I thought Forest were there for the taking. We should have won it shouldn't we?

Nyland: 4, sooner he goes the better 5 shots on target and 5 goals in the net, the last being a complete joke. I don’t directly blame him for any of the others but …..
Hutton: 5 Just a normal game for McCafu .
Taylor: 5 I’m trying hard to see anything in this lad.
Axle T: 5 He did ok looked cool on the ball amongst all the panic defending. Last goal he was poor letting Grabban get a shot in.
Chester: 4 Aliens have taken over this solid defender and turned him into Curtis Davies!
Yannick: 7 I thought he looked lively and strong, obviously faded towards the end and was subbed
McGinn: 7 little diamond in the James Milner mould. Glad he’s back.
Grealish: 7 Just Jack one of his normal games, seemed to have stopped trying to do everything by himself.
Hourihane: 4 whatever this lad is he’s not a defensive midfielder cost us 3 goals last night the first 2 and the 4th . Needs to get stuck in, track players or just do something!

Koj: 6 did ok and had his moments, arguing with Tammy a few times worries me.
Tammy: 9 Got to give the kid a 9 as not often you score 4 goals is it? Nearly got the 5 with a header in the first half.

Subs
El Ghazi: 7 Cracking goal gets him a 7. He has ability and he showed a bit of it last night.
Whelan: 6 I’ll probably upset a few here but had he started the game we would have a won. He’s no world beater but he’s currently our best defensive midfielder or rather the only one.
Elmo: 6 tried his best but he’s not a winger he’s a wing back

Head Coach;
Smith
: 6 He won’t be happy will he? Some of it was his own doing. I think JT needs to review his defensive coaching.

Ha. I don't know why she asked me but the lady sitting next to me had backed Villa to win 6-4 at half time. At 5-4 she ssked me if she should cash out. I said no go for 6-4 (she would have won £150). Then Grabban scored more or less at the same time !!!!

We need snookers already. We are too far behind. I hold the people in charge for the summers mess responsible.

There's 27 games to go, thats 81 points. Fulham came from bottom half last season, Watford did the same a few years ago and they came within a minute of winning the division. There is no stand out team like the last 2 seasons so we are more than capable of closing that gap. Just need a new keeper and centre mid to tighten up

Chester is suffering. Maybe still injured but I think alot of the problems are being caused by the lack of availiblity of the player in the holding role showing for the ball and demanding it from the defenders.

Chester isn't the one that should be playing it out and setting us off. And it's here that I think we need the Ryan Woods type midfielder. And it's here that I say that Hourihane doesn't do that and doesn't do enough in that role . He doesn't show, he doesn't demand It, when he gets it he passes safely and it's sideways and doesn't set us going. He doesn't tackle well. I get his set pieces threat but I just am completely perplexed as to what he is doing in his all round play. He seems to drift for several games then will come up with something that keeps him in the side. Then the pattern is repeated. Its a conundrum .We have just scored 12 goals in three games and he has contributed to one of those (the free kick v Derby) if my memory is correct . Is this enough if he isn't doing the all round midfield stuff well enough. ?.

Half time today I would have taken him off and put Whelan on. We needed the ferry sized hole that was in the midfield for their first 3 goals plugged .
Whelan defenitetly in for hurry up.

Just seen the goals back for first time since the match.
Their 5th goal every bit as shocking from Mr Flappy as I thought live. Not sure what to make of their 4th. The ball moved all over the place but Mr Flappy just stood there.

The first 3 goals were awful collectively from midfield and defence . Nothing Mr Flappy could do there.

And in all this. We are forgetting Tammy's two headers . What great centre forward play. And his second goal was pure tenacity to follow in . Top drawer stuff from him.

Just seen the goals back for first time since the match.
Their 5th goal every bit as shocking from Mr Flappy as I thought live. Not sure what to make of their 4th. The ball moved all over the place but Mr Flappy just stood there.

The first 3 goals were awful collectively from midfield and defence . Nothing Mr Flappy could do there.

You say that but the 1st was scored from 7 yards out and the 3rd from about 8 or 9 yards out.

Yes, shocking defending but you've got to expect your keeper to command his 6 yard box better than that. He seems terrified to come off his line.

I'm having him fully at fault for the 4th and 5th, and partially at fault for the first and 3rd.

We'd probably be top of the league if we actually had a keeper , if you add up all the points Enckleman's cousin has cost us.

Hourihane isnt a defensive midfielder, he is far better in an attacking role. He was continuously losing the Forest mids last night when they ran through, but neither Jack or McGinn were tracking back with them either. Same with Bolasie, he had the beating of their LB all night long but when they had the ball he didnt go with him leaving Hutton to deal with 2 men on several occasions. As poor as our defence is looking, it is only going to make them look worse when they are constantly getting outnumbered. I know the likes of Whelan and Jedi arent popular with many on here, but they do offer something defensively which allows the other mids to concentrate on getting forward.

Enckleman was actually a half decent keeper until that derby blooper.

That completely shattered him though and he was shocking after that.

Nyland has been dogshit since day one.

You say that but the 1st was scored from 7 yards out and the 3rd from about 8 or 9 yards out.

Yes, shocking defending but you've got to expect your keeper to command his 6 yard box better than that. He seems terrified to come off his line.

I'm having him fully at fault for the 4th and 5th, and partially at fault for the first and 3rd.

I dont rate the lad, but cant see how he could have done much with Forests first 3 goals. For their 3rd goal the lad has come from behind both Axel and Hutton and got to the ball first.

Not entirely sure calling him Mr flappy is fair. If he'd actually flapped his arms at the 4th and 5th he might have actually saved them, Mr statue would be a more apt moniker for him.

I dont rate the lad, but cant see how he could have done much with Forests first 3 goals. For their 3rd goal the lad has come from behind both Axel and Hutton and got to the ball first.

He needs to be off his line quicker. He may not have stopped it but he'd have given himself a chance by closing down the angle.

Do you think those 1st and 3rd goals go in if Peter Schmeichel is in goal? No... he comes out makes himself big and gives the striker something to think about rather than having the whole goal to aim at.

I agree the defending was shocking but he needs to do better. It's basic goalkeeping. Close down the angles.

I feel sorry for Tammy. We should be talking about him scoring 4 goals. When is the last time one of our players scored 4 ?

I can't even recall seeing one of ours score 4 at VP , yes it's a shame for him . He's had the night of his life so far there.

He needs to be off his line quicker. He may not have stopped it but he'd have given himself a chance by closing down the angle.

Do you think those 1st and 3rd goals go in if Peter Schmeichel is in goal? No... he comes out makes himself big and gives the striker something to think about rather than having the whole goal to aim at.

I agree the defending was shocking but he needs to do better. It's basic goalkeeping. Close down the angles.

I just dont think it would have made any difference. The first goal I'm not sure how he could have come out as it was a 5 yard pass slid across the box for an unmarked Grabban to tap in. If he comes out any further for the 3rd, the Forest lad lobs him and everyone hurls abuse for rushing off his line.
The 4th and 5th would have been saved by plenty of Sunday league keepers. I dont rate Bunn at all, but would probably stick him in on Saturday. Not sure what happened to Moreira although he didnt instill me with any confidence in the games I've seen him play either.

Our new goalkeeping coach has worked wonders I see . Nyland needs to feck right off puts the fear of god up me. I'd rather see Bunn in on Saturday than this weak clown .

I feel sorry for Tammy. We should be talking about him scoring 4 goals. When is the last time one of our players scored 4 ?

I think Simon Stainrod got 4 but that was against Exeter in the cup. Cant recall any others. Although I've seen a few opposition players do it against us. Tony Woodcock got 5 for Arsenal at VP in the early eighties.

When is the last time one of our players scored 4 ?

Well that took longer to find out than I'd hoped..... been going through our results from the past decades....

As far as I can make out the last player to do it was David Platt who scored 4 in a 6-2 win over Ipswich in the League Cup. 30 November 1988. Almost 30 years to the day!!!

In terms of the last player to do it in the league.... I'll get back to you.