Aston Villa v Small Heath Alliance 25/11/18 12pm K.O officially sold out | Page 18 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Small Heath Alliance 25/11/18 12pm K.O officially sold out

Great result, we were lucky lets not get away from that.
However we came from 1-0 down with and better performance than prior to going (almost 2) 1-0 down.

57 has is about right with his player ratings, Chester had a mare, both their goals we as a result of our giving the ball away.

After the praise comes the critique.

Jeez, WTF was that first 30 mins? No clue how to actually play, the ball going nowhere between Whelan and the CBs, Hourihane not helping by being 20-30 yards away and not offering himself, along with everyone else not moving and helping. The result - you end up with Grealish continually having to come back where you don't want him. FFS help the man in possession and give him something to pass to!

I expect this to improve with McGinn back in the team, as he helps out and gets the ball moving into the opposition half. But it does show how slow and witless Whelan is in possession, and how lightweight and selfish Hourihane can be.

We so need to replace Taylor at the earliest opportunity. Every opponent targets him because he's such a weak link. Physically he's a pussy, his passing is cack, and the biggest issue is dithering with the ball and allowing the opponent to get on top of him. I'd play Legend Hutton at LB and have someone else fill RB like Elmo until we can get a fit for purpose LB on the pitch.

I think Dean knows all that Crimson, he's not daft, Taylor is an average fullback at best and Hourihane is no John Mcginn, we looked more balanced when Lansbury came on for a few minutes. Even Elmo was more involved than Mr stats. Hopefully, super John will be back Wednesday

Deano will need to remind them of that no show against Q.P.R. last season. We don't want a repeat of that performance against Forest on Wednesday.
We don't want yesterday's high to evaporate into a disappointing crash down to earth.

After the praise comes the critique.

Jeez, WTF was that first 30 mins? No clue how to actually play, the ball going nowhere between Whelan and the CBs, Hourihane not helping by being 20-30 yards away and not offering himself, along with everyone else not moving and helping. The result - you end up with Grealish continually having to come back where you don't want him. FFS help the man in possession and give him something to pass to!

I expect this to improve with McGinn back in the team, as he helps out and gets the ball moving into the opposition half. But it does show how slow and witless Whelan is in possession, and how lightweight and selfish Hourihane can be.

We so need to replace Taylor at the earliest opportunity. Every opponent targets him because he's such a weak link. Physically he's a pussy, his passing is cack, and the biggest issue is dithering with the ball and allowing the opponent to get on top of him. I'd play Legend Hutton at LB and have someone else fill RB like Elmo until we can get a fit for purpose LB on the pitch.

Absolutely spot on, Whelan and Taylor are the most obvious weakness in the team and yes other teams have identified this. I shall miss Whelan though, watching him attempting to run was hilarious.?
G.T.

Yes, what he did towards the end claiming a couple of high balls is just what we need him to do from the off. I hope he gets there because his reflex stuff is pretty good, but you need the complete package these days. Which if he had I'm sure he'd be somewhere else, I can't get used to having to make do

Distribution was much improved too. Evidence of his work with Cutler I suspect. Let's hope he continues with his determination to improve his weaknesses.

Hourihane for me has been one of our better players in the past 3 games before the weekend, playing in the deep role.

He was shocking yesterday to be fair, but improved instantly when Whelan went off and he dropped deeper again.

I think the midfield of Houriahne deep, with McGinn and Grealish further forward is by far our best midfield 3.

There is much room for improvement in defence and midfield but when you start getting goals you can carry those limitations. When was the last time we beat them that they didn't come out with a bucket load of excuses?

Great to put them lot back in their boxes again. And we did it without playing particularly well.
Bit concerned the injuries are mounting up .
We need to follow this up now and beat forest .

Terrific game, credit to Blues they gave their all, credit to us to get a great result. I wouldn't criticise any of our players. Smith doesn't have to play Taylor but he does and that tells me he has confidence in him. It's how the defence works as a unit which matters, and overall it did pretty well. No doubt Smith with look to strengthen the defence, but it's a big credit to him and his team that it's playing as well as it is.

Absolutely spot on, Whelan and Taylor are the most obvious weakness in the team and yes other teams have identified this. I shall miss Whelan though, watching him attempting to run was hilarious.?
G.T.
A bit harsh on Whelan. In the first half he was connecting the game, constantly looking for the ball and putting himself about. Like Hutton, he is a good pro and always puts in a shift. Deano took him off at the right time as he was tiring... He’s not a first choice when McGinn and Barney are fit, but I’d take him over many of the wasters we’ve had at the club over the last 6-8 years.....

I had a great morning this morning, I am off work as had a hospital thing this evening, so I watched basically every You Tube clip from yesterdays game, and had a smile on my face for about 6 hours solid.

Without being too negative, I would like to say a serious point though.

I really don't know what it is with Villa Blues games but it does one of two things - it either attracts absolute idiots who have no idea how to behave , or, it turns normal people for the other 42 games a year into total idiots who don't know how to behave.

And I am talking Villa fans here - because of segregation - I didn't see a Bluenose yesterday,

Example (and this isn't because I am 48 , because Iw wouldn't have dreamt of doing it at 28 - walking to the Holte yesterday, I saw two blokes, obviously dads, both in early 30's, one with a boy about 5 , one with a girl about 8 = both dads had a can of beer in one hand, two cans of beer in their pockets, being around 30yrds from the Holte wher they were not allowed to take them (at 11am - obviously already with a few on board) and singing at their top of their voices - and more alarmingly, encouraging their roughly 8 and 5 yr olds to sing up for the lads - the Lennon inspired "bo**cks your a c***"

What is it with these games that attracts / or turns people into total pondlife ? - I looked at the girl and she had a total look of embarrassment on her face.

Glad it is over for another year, and hopefully another 16