Jim Iley | Vital Football

Jim Iley

Brendan Bradley

Vital Squad Member
A little bit random I know but Jim Iley died over the weekend.

I've always remembered him from one of my earliest, and greatest, football memories, when the Imps beat the Newcastle United team he captained in the League Cup.

Such a shock was that that it even got mentioned by Sam Leitch on Grandstand the following Saturday. God bless Jim and his shiny pate.

I remember his days as player-manager of Peterborough when (at least in one game against City) he seemed to take all the free kicks, corners and throw-ins for them.

Blimey, remember him when we beat Newcastle 2-1 in the League Cup run of 1967, a real duracell bunny type player with no little skill.

I saw the 1967 League Cup match.

I remember too being on a train from Cheltenham to Newcastle in the early 1970s. When I went to the buffet, I passed Iley and his Cardiff City team who were going to the northeast for a midweek game.

Then I remembered it was Jimmy Scoular's Cardiff City.

I thought he managed Aldershot, then realised that I was getting him confused with Jimmy Melia.

Last edited:
I wasn't there and don't know for sure, but I don't believe he missed a penalty. According to reports though he gave away the penalty from which George Peden scored the winning goal.
Yes that’s right. I thought there was a penalty there somewhere.