Lyden? | Vital Football

Lyden?

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Jordan Lyden recently revealed to the Oldham Chronicle that Aston Villa would offer him a new contract if he impressed during his loan spell at Oldham Athletic. The Australian midfielder joined the Latics on a short-term deal due to a lack of first-team football and said he’s looking to use Oldham as a vehicle to resurrect his Villa career, with his current deal expiring next summer.

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...-villa-could-agree-new-deal-on-one-condition/

Leech. Get rid. The amount of money he's had out of us already for sitting on the treatment table. He's not even very good.

I hope Lyden is given a chance because in the few games he has played in the first team he has shown potential.
I'll admit those games were some time ago and he has been injured pretty well ever since but, if those injuries haven't shattered his confidence completely, he could become a good player to have around.

The amount of people I see on here slagging off Jack Wilshere.... and then the same people defending people like Lyden.

At least Wilshere did something once upon a time.

I'm sure Lyden is a lovely boy and he's been unlucky, but if I was on long term sick for 5 years at my work I'd expect to be got rid of by now.

He has played 4 games in god knows how many years. I know he has had his fair share of injuries , but if he was that good ., surely he would have played more games than that.

Lets face it being sent on loan to Oldham is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Appalled at the anti-Lyden rhetoric. What's he done to deserve that? Whenever he's been on the pitch he's always looked keen, and at least a decent player. Do we slag off players for getting injured?

However, I do think it's time for him to move on. Playing for us is demanding and given the competition available I don't think he will break in. He needs a few years at somewhere where he's going to play.

Well i was appalled at the anti-Gabby rhetoric and the anti-Bruce rhetoric, etc.. etc... but at least these guys did something to earn their corn at some point in time and contributed to some happy memories over the years.

Lyden has done nothing. Whether it's his fault all not, he's done nothing to deserve any sentiment and more importantly done nothing to earn the money he's had off us so far or more money in the future.

We're not a charity.

Put a load a weight on if the pictures in the airport were real a few weeks ago. Must be someway of any level of fitness at all

Well i was appalled at the anti-Gabby rhetoric and the anti-Bruce rhetoric, etc.. etc... but at least these guys did something to earn their corn at some point in time and contributed to some happy memories over the years.

Lyden has done nothing. Whether it's his fault all not, he's done nothing to deserve any sentiment and more importantly done nothing to earn the money he's had off us so far or more money in the future.

We're not a charity.

Gabby spent years being unfit for purpose, all his own fault, while Bruce bumbled his way over a couple of years using excuse after excuse. I look back on the good Gabby years with some affection, but that's it.

Lyden is the same as every academy product; none of them contribute directly to the club, but the academy matters, or should matter. I just don't understand the hate.

Probably isn’t quite good enough for us at this time otherwise he’d have had more of an impact by now. It is probably best for him to move on elsewhere for the benefit of all parties involved

I can't imagine he’s on mega-bucks, having come through the academy and only ever being a squad player - I doubt his salary is making much of a dent in the club’s finances so I think some of these comments are a bit over the top.

Leech. Get rid. The amount of money he's had out of us already for sitting on the treatment table. He's not even very good.

You want to label someone a leech, how about your favourite Gabby, he leeched eight years of wages from us at a bloody far greater rate than Lyden's been paid.
You want to claim someone's not very good, what about that other favourite of yours, Bruce. He had two years and he managed to leave us in virtually the same position as he found us but, with the probability of us getting worse, with the most unbalanced squad I've ever seen at a football club.
And yes I know he had four promotions but, I doubt those promotions were his work, more likely all down to the uncoached players. Don't forget he also had relegations and it took him twenty years to win nothing.
We owe Lyden at least a chance, if for nothing more than he got injured playing for us and it wasn't his fault the injuries have been as bad as they were.

Yes but he is not good enough. We can't play players just because they have had bad luck with injuries.

Yes but he is not good enough. We can't play players just because they have had bad luck with injuries.

And just how, may I ask, sirdennis, do you know if he's good enough or not.
Everyone and his brothers dog used to call for RHM to be given a chance, well anytime he's been given minutes he's looked as if U23 is his level.
95% of fans used to lamblast Albrighton but, he went on to be an integral part of a premiership winning team.
So unless Lyden is given a chance, how will any of us know.

And just how, may I ask, sirdennis, do you know if he's good enough or not.
Everyone and his brothers dog used to call for RHM to be given a chance, well anytime he's been given minutes he's looked as if U23 is his level.
95% of fans used to lamblast Albrighton but, he went on to be an integral part of a premiership winning team.

Because he has played just 4 games for us. He has played god knows how many U-23 games and too be honest all the managers that have been there in his time have not picked him so that tells you a story.

Anyway he wasn't impressive in the games he has played in.

TBF we probably have better, but don't get the vitriol towards the guy. Very few of our youngsters make the transition and unless he gets an opportunity we will probably see him playing for Preston next season having been let go for free.

That's what training, u23, loans are for. Giving them a chance.

Giving a chance is what you do to kids playing Sunday morning football . You don't give chances in the heat of a championship battle. You surely need to know before you put them in whether they are good enough.

And like it or not those that see the likes of Lyden day after day on the training pitch know alot more than us about these players. Clearly he is not good enough at this present time.

Last edited:

I’m sorry but I find this comment unbelievably out of order. To question his ability is one thing, and there may be a fair point there, but to label the lad a ‘leech’? Bang out of order for me. Lyden can’t be blamed for being unlucky with injuries and in his four appearances he put in 100% every time - which is more than Gabby (who you’ve defended time after time) managed in a decade for ‘his club’.

I’m not convinced that Lyden will ever make the grade but to slander his character like that is utterly unfair. If we release him I wish him all the best, he seems to want to make the best of himself unlike some supposed ‘legends’ who squandered superior ability.

But it's ok to have a go at jack Wilshere and label him Jack Wheelchair etc? Double standards.

It may not be his fault but has has leeched a living out of the club for 5 or 6 years and given nothing back. Thats a fact whether you like it or not.

But I wouldn’t call Wilshere a leech either - what are they supposed to do? Retire?

Don’t see any double standards - he’s been paid the contact we offered him and is infortunate to ha d had so many injuries. That does not make anyone a ‘leech’ in my book.

Ok, maybe strong wording.... he has leeched a living out of the club, but maybe labelling him a leech is too strong.

End of the day though, talk of an new contract is laughable.