What was your first away ground? | Page 2 | Vital Football

What was your first away ground?

The Old Showground, Scunny for me. Feb 1981. 2-2 draw. Just remember it was quite a rickety old ground.

Blundell Park for me in the late 1980s. We lost 1-0 and I had run a first goal scorer book at school and most of my mates, despite being Imps, backed Dave Gilbert. He then duly scored from the spot to clean me out.

Blundell Park for me in the late 1980s. We lost 1-0 and I had run a first goal scorer book at school and most of my mates, despite being Imps, backed Dave Gilbert. He then duly scored from the spot to clean me out.

Didn't Dave Gilbert get convicted a few years ago for assaulting his wife and then a few months later get convicted for assaulting some young lad? Or am I getting confused? Just seem to remember it being in the news.

Sheff Utd 28th Jan 1961, lost 3-1 in FA Cup 4th Round in the days when one side of the Ground was still open for the cricket season. Andy Graver scored but apart from been beep cold can remember nothing about it !

Pretty sure that was also first for me

Remember we were sitting right at back of stand, behind Sheff U supporters, and that Graver scored with a diving header from a McClelland right wing cross

Pretty sure that was also first for me

Remember we were sitting right at back of stand, behind Sheff U supporters, and that Graver scored with a diving header from a McClelland right wing cross

My dim and distant memory has dragged up that the pitch was part frozen and they had braziers scattered around the pitch to defrost it !! or it would have been postponed. How times have changed for the better.

Mansfield in R1 fa cup the year we were in the conference... 3 2 i think. Dave Clarke freekick. Good game despite the result.

Mansfield in R1 fa cup the year we were in the conference... 3 2 i think. Dave Clarke freekick. Good game despite the result.
4-3. Former Imp Ian Greaves was Mansfield's manager at the time. He pre-warned his players by saying there was nothing non-league about Lincoln - he was right. Great game, we lost in the last couple of minutes.

First away trip, Blunders 1990, remember them scoring late on and hell breaking loose, coins seats etc getting thrown and Humberside OB just standing back.
Didn't got to another away game for a while after that, my next one was Cardiff start of the 1991/92 season we when won 2-1 Dobson and Carmichael pen.
Saw some big away wins that season 4-1 at Halifax and 5-1 at both Donny and Chesterfield.

Didn't Dave Gilbert get convicted a few years ago for assaulting his wife and then a few months later get convicted for assaulting some young lad? Or am I getting confused? Just seem to remember it being in the news.

From his Wikipedia entry:

On 23 September 2008 Gilbert appeared at Lincoln Magistrates Court facing two charges of common assault, one of which on his wife Gail Gilbert. He pleaded not guilty to the charges and was to face Magistrates in a trial on 18 December.

On 19 December 2008, Gilbert was fined £560 plus costs for assaulting a 17-year-old in Grantham in August of that year. He was also told he would not be able to work with youngsters again.

(Outcome of the charge of assaulting his wife is not stated, so perhaps was found not guilty of it)

Macclesfield Town away in the FA Cup 1967, I believe. We won 3-1 and I vaguely remember Macc having a huge goalkeeper called Cooke(?). I think we were expected to be a cup shock on the day but we managed to win.

First away trip, Blunders 1990, remember them scoring late on and hell breaking loose, coins seats etc getting thrown and Humberside OB just standing back.
Didn't got to another away game for a while after that, my next one was Cardiff start of the 1991/92 season we when won 2-1 Dobson and Carmichael pen.
Saw some big away wins that season 4-1 at Halifax and 5-1 at both Donny and Chesterfield.

I was there that day too. The coppers literally stood back and did nothing, while the Cods went on the rampage, pelting us with all sorts of things they could lay their hands on.

I wanted to write Arsenal but probably Grimsby 1977 ish. Going earlier this season Blundell Park hasn't changed