How many current stadia have you visited | Page 4 | Vital Football

How many current stadia have you visited

Without a doubt ,the worst league ground ive visited, made Blunders look impressive.

Not sure anything can make Blunder park look impressive, but yes, the old county ground was pretty appalling, especially our section of it.
I remember a Mr Parker dishing out double red cards to us once (And then us all holding up red cards for him next time we had him, at York I think or might have been Hull).

And incidentally a FIFA ref friend of mine (I don't hate every ref!!) told me that at their refs meeting where the new rules on red cards for professional fouls etc were introduced, that Parker stood up and said "I can't keep them all of the f'ing pitch as it is!"

Not sure anything can make Blunder park look impressive, but yes, the old county ground was pretty appalling, especially our section of it.
I remember a Mr Parker dishing out double red cards to us once (And then us all holding up red cards for him next time we had him, at York I think or might have been Hull).

I thought Parker sent off two of our players at Rotherham, or am I the one ageing badly?

77 of the 91 current grounds (as not including Wembley for Spurs, 78 if white hart lane still counts!)

12 Prem (13 if white hart lane still counts)
21 Champ
21 L1
23 L2 (just need MK Dons for that full set !)

And incidentally a FIFA ref friend of mine (I don't hate every ref!!) told me that at their refs meeting where the new rules on red cards for professional fouls etc were introduced, that Parker stood up and said "I can't keep them all of the f'ing pitch as it is!"
It was York in '93 where we all had red cards for dear old Jim!
Someone even had a ref doll which you could detach the arms, legs and head!

We had a few games in that period (91-93)where we had two sent off.
Northampton, Rotherham and another was at Blackpool we lost 3-0 with Lee and Nicholson sent off. We were on the open terrace behind the goal with weeds several feet high and we were joined by a group of Queen of the South fans.

The only prem club I haven’t visited is Newcastle. There are three I haven’t seen at new stadia. Brighton, West Ham and Man City.
Championship: there are four teams I’ve never visited. Middlesboro, Wigan, Blackburn and Norwich.
I’ve not been to the new stadia at derby, Bolton and Rotherham.
However I’ve been to both Swansea, both Millwall, both hull and reading, and stoke. (Last 40 years as in both)
League one: haven’t been, fleetwood, burton, Accrington, Portsmouth, Blackpool and Plymouth. And afc Wimbledon though I’ve been a few times to Wimbledon at plough lane.
I’ve seen Bristol rovers at three grounds, Oxford, scunny,Charlton ,Coventry, Walsall at 2 grounds. Donny and Shrewsbury at old ground, Sunderland at new.
League 2:
Haven’t been mk dons, Crawley, forest green, Yeovil, Macclesfield and morcombe. (Something odd there?)
Colchester old stadia only. Been to two Newport grounds not Rodney parade though.
Both scunnys, both Northampton’s.

There’s a load of ex League I’ve been to as well. Ie dartford to see Maidstone v city.

I've been to Welling twice but just over 30 years apart and seen City win both times. The first time we went to Sutton United in 1986 they were simply the worst toilets I have ever seen at any ground that I have been to. Barnet, Colchester & Scunthorpe I have been to both grounds. Hopefully and finance permitting this season I hope to visit Stevenage, Florist Green, MK Dons and Newport for the first time.

Ah Stoke's original ground, missed that off my list. Never got to Eastville but did see Bristol Rovers at Bath City. The founder of the 92 club was a Rovers fan, and I went to his house in 91 when I had completed them all. Pity I hadn't got Eastville in my list!

Who was first in modem era to move ground? Was it Scunny??
I think prior to that Vale Park might have been the last new ground but a football historian will know the proper answers

Ah Stoke's original ground, missed that off my list. Never got to Eastville but did see Bristol Rovers at Bath City. The founder of the 92 club was a Rovers fan, and I went to his house in 91 when I had completed them all. Pity I hadn't got Eastville in my list!

Who was first in modem era to move ground? Was it Scunny??
I think prior to that Vale Park might have been the last new ground but a football historian will know the proper answers
Think you are effectively correct about the "modern era" but probably depends how you deal with clubs that have gone into administration etc or shared elsewhere. Stevenage for instance were a different entity and non-league when they moved to their current ground in the early 1980s. If you count the rebuilt Valley Parade in 1987? (following Bradford's quite temporary move after the fire) then this pre-dates Scunny's move in 1988. Similarly Charlton left the Valley in 1985 for Selhurst Park and briefly 'Upton Park' but their completely rebuilt ground was not occupied until 1992?

Last edited:
Think 'modern era' of the OP means relocation to a new ground rather than rebuild of current, on that basis SB is new since 1987-1995.

I can't come anywhere near the dedication of many of you, but I have realised how many stadia I've been to which are now no more - Old Showground, Filbert Street, Belle Vue, Springfield Park, Sealand Road, Gay Meadow, Maine Road, as well as few new ones, many of which seem to change their name on an annual basis - eg 'Reebok' and 'McAlpine'.

Whatever and wherever the future lies for the Mighty Imps I hope 'naming rights' retains a recogniseable and enduring name at its root, or avoids it all together - credit to current and previous chairmen to avoid that particular course.

I've now got 26 to visit. 10 in the Premier League, 9 in the Championship, 5 in League One and 2 in League Two.

Well, there was no slope at Northampton's County Ground (certainly none that I ever noticed), but yes, it was a three-sided ground with the cricket pitch on one side with the cricket stands in the far distance. The first few times I went (early to mid-1970s) spectators were allowed on the cricket ground side, standing behind a rope. They did have some wooden terracing of about three steps placed on the grass. In later years no-one was allowed on that side.

I was was about to chime in and say I have no memory of Northampton's County Ground having a slope. It very generous to say it was a three sided ground. The pendant in me would argue it was 2 and 3rd sided ground as the away end did not stretch the entire width of the pitch.

Back in the day when BBC 2 used to air the B&H one day cricket live on Sunday afternoons, I was always horrified to see the football pitch was used as a car park when a Northants home match was covered.

Last edited:
I have lost count of the away grounds I have visited watching the Imps, not that I kept count in the first place. But as to grounds that no longer exist:

Seamer Road, Sealand Road, Fellows Park, The Old Showground, Underhill, The Vetch, Ninian Park, The County Ground (Northampton), Somerton Park, Leeds Road, Feethams, Belle Vue, Maine Road, Gay Meadow, Whitehart Lane, Eastville, Nene Park, The Baseball Ground, Layer Road and last but not least Blundell Park.

I should be able to add Upton Park to the list but the match was rained off an hour before kick off. I have been to Filbert Street, but not to watch the Imps, so I guess that does not count.

The most missed I would say would be Feethams a short stroll from the town centre where there were some great pubs and an after match drink in the Cricket Club. The worst Ninian Park always an ugly atmosphere and heavy handed policing.

Last edited:
What a the interest about this thread? Surely it depends on circumstance, commitments etc that a person has.

I have lost count of the away grounds I have visited watching the Imps, not that I kept count in the first place. But as to grounds that no longer exist:

Seamer Road, Sealand Road, Fellows Park, The Old Showground, Underhill, The Vetch, Ninian Park, The County Ground (Northampton), Somerton Park, Leeds Road, Feethams, Belle Vue, Maine Road, Gay Meadow, Whitehart Lane, Eastville, Nene Park, The Baseball Ground, Layer Road and last but not least Blundell Park.

I should be able to add Upton Park to the list but the match was rained off an hour before kick off. I have been to Filbert Street, but not to watch the Imps, so I guess that does not count.

The most missed I would say would be Feethams a short stroll from the town centre where there were some great pubs and an after match drink in the Cricket Club. The worst Ninian Park always an ugly atmosphere and heavy handed policing.

Concur totally with Ninian Park. One of the nastiest bunch of home fans I can recall.

But as to grounds that no longer exist:

The most missed I would say would be Feethams a short stroll from the town centre where there were some great pubs and an after match drink in the Cricket Club.

Also The Old Show Ground, The Vetch Field and Gay Meadow were a whole lot handier for the respective town centres than their clubs' present grounds are. On the other hand, Somerton Park was much less conveniently placed than Rodney Parade is.

Also The Old Show Ground, The Vetch Field and Gay Meadow were a whole lot handier for the respective town centres than their clubs' present grounds are. On the other hand, Somerton Park was much less conveniently placed than Rodney Parade is.

Agreed. The Vetch and Gay Meadow where slap bang in the middle of town., you can't beat that.

Did you ever imbibe at the Singleton for pre and post match drinks when the Imps played at The Vetch? I still recall sitting staring into my beer in the Singleton when I had learned City had been relegated to Conference the first time around, surrounded by gleeful Jacks.

It was the polar opposite a decade or so later when with a Sir Gareth inspired a win against the Jacks on a Friday evening fixture. When the Imps came from a goal behind to win. My abiding memory of that match other than it a better night in the Singleton after the match in'87, is Sir Gareth screaming at Jay Martin "leave the fucker" and then proceeded to smash the ball into the back of the Swans net to secure an Imps win.

Last edited: