Tottenham Hotspur vs PSV Eindhoven | Page 12 | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur vs PSV Eindhoven

Poch put a lot of trust in Winks and he rose to it . Poch also gave Eriksen and Alli defensive duties to support Winks which asked a lot them as both were coming back from injury. It worked....just , but I was surprised at the line up . Poch also put Alli as a marker for De Jong on set pieces which was a mismatch. So masterstrokes or unecessary risks?

Ok read through the posts and the article on the match....from what I can gather:

-We again allowed a VERY early goal, this has to stop, and we continue to struggle on set play defending.
-We had 30, let me repeat that....30 naffing shots and we only produced the 2 VERY late goals...and the second was fortunate. Yep that tell me our finishing stills sucks ass. We had many really good looks, if we were a bit more clinical we would have put them to the sword early.

I guess technically we can still get out of this group, but against Inter and Barca....we must be better. Damn I mean we very damn near lost this game and it looks like we bossed much of it.

So you are saying there's a chance!!!! Hey you never know, we could survive this.

I am pleased with the win and God knows we needed it for our confidence, keep it up lads!!! COYS!!!!!

Ok read through the posts and the article on the match....from what I can gather:

-We again allowed a VERY early goal, this has to stop, and we continue to struggle on set play defending.
-We had 30, let me repeat that....30 naffing shots and we only produced the 2 VERY late goals...and the second was fortunate. Yep that tell me our finishing stills sucks ass. We had many really good looks, if we were a bit more clinical we would have put them to the sword early.

I guess technically we can still get out of this group, but against Inter and Barca....we must be better. Damn I mean we very damn near lost this game and it looks like we bossed much of it.

So you are saying there's a chance!!!! Hey you never know, we could survive this.

I am pleased with the win and God knows we needed it for our confidence, keep it up lads!!! COYS!!!!!

Not sure whether you've seen the highlights now. Must admit the Eriksen and Dele misses were out of character from players that have dug us out many times over the years. They weren't half chances either.

For me, more of a freak that somehow we didn't score rather than an underwhelming performance in front of goal (for a change).

Not sure whether you've seen the highlights now. Must admit the Eriksen and Dele misses were out of character from players that have dug us out many times over the years. They weren't half chances either.

For me, more of a freak that somehow we didn't score rather than an underwhelming performance in front of goal (for a change).

At what point do we stop considering these as freak occurences and start considering we have a finishing problem?

Nope I have not seen any highlights...but with that many shots, and not getting a goal until the last minute, means we had a finishing problem unless the opposing goalie was having a worldie fest!

Nope I have not seen any highlights...but with that many shots, and not getting a goal until the last minute, means we had a finishing problem unless the opposing goalie was having a worldie fest!

To be fair, the goalie did have one of those games. Was a perfect storm until the double deflection of Kane's header.

At what point do we stop considering these as freak occurences and start considering we have a finishing problem?

Not a great articulation on my part. Agree, we do have a problem sticking the ball in the net, but I'm not putting that at the feet of Eriksen and Dele in that match. I would have put half my mortgage on Eriksen finishing that chance and the other half on Dele following up the rebound. The odds of both of them missing were the freakish bit. They very rarely do that in any match, let alone the stakes of last nights game.

Never rely on other teams to do you favours Mutters. Losers mentality.

Did we have a choice then after our first couple of CL results? Do we have a choice moving forward for the last 2 CL games? It's not a losers mentality, that is hoping for Europa League success or focusing solely on top 4 and domestic cups.

I think you'll find it's a winners mentality :Fingers:

I like the look of the attacking players we started with. But PSV are pretty average. That spine wouldn't win you a title that's for sure.

When we are playing the average teams at home then why not, we should score plenty.

Playing the extra and unnecessary DCM is the single most destructive factor in our play so far this season. As this game showed, and as Citeh has been showing for over 2 seasons now, is that when you have the crew of top talent in your attacking setup as we do, this opens the game to our strengths and allows our creative players to move and express themselves. Without having the space mucked up by a wasted player.

Anyone on here suggesting that we should play Sissoko (regardless of his improvement in form), or any other DCM over any 5 of Eriksen, Dele, Lucas, Son, Lamela, or Kane to start any match, has lost their mind.

This is the template going forward for our best success, and if Poch can't see it, then maybe he's not the man for the job.

I think you have to understand the trade-offs though. We conceded from a corner and look way more vulnerable from set pieces without Dier in the side. He's like having a 3rd centre half when it comes to the aerial duels. If that happens in CL, it will definitely happen with some of the Prem sides.

What I like about our squad is its versatility. We can play the system we did against PSV in some games. We could also use the ball playing skills of Vertonghen and Foyth left and right of Sanchez/Toby in a back 3 with flying wing-backs when Rose is fit. We can also revert back to our 4-2-3-1 with the talent we have.

The problem is that if we are unwilling to move the ball forward quickly and get crosses into the box then it amounts to the same thing. For me, it's not the system but the managers tactics and some of the players taking the easy way out that needs correcting. Otherwise, we are sub-optimal with the talented players we have.

It is also the biggest hint to which types of players we should be buying.

I
Playing the extra and unnecessary DCM is the single most destructive factor in our play so far this season. As this game showed, and as Citeh has been showing for over 2 seasons now, is that when you have the crew of top talent in your attacking setup as we do, this opens the game to our strengths and allows our creative players to move and express themselves. Without having the space mucked up by a wasted player.

Anyone on here suggesting that we should play Sissoko (regardless of his improvement in form), or any other DCM over any 5 of Eriksen, Dele, Lucas, Son, Lamela, or Kane to start any match, has lost their mind.

This is the template going forward for our best success, and if Poch can't see it, then maybe he's not the man for the job.

Is Sissoko a dcm. ?

For me if all our attacking players were fully match fit and firing then maybe we could get away with it, but I do believe we need to move away from playing two holding players for most of our games.

For me if all our attacking players were fully match fit and firing then maybe we could get away with it, but I do believe we need to move away from playing two holding players for most of our games.

Trouble is I don't believe our setup was designed to have two holding midfielders. It was to be a pivot role and unfortunately Dembele rarely got out of the centre circle and any forays in to the final 3rd from him were non-productive. Sissoko offers a bit more in the way of forward charges, but again with little end product. I agree though essentially having two holding midfielders made us slow, sideways and backwards. The set up v PSV was very dynamic, something I was envious of seeing with the likes of our neighbours, Pool and City. Hopefully Poch will have learnt from the revised formation and executes it more regularly.

Of course there will be times when we need to see out a game and it calls for a 2nd holding role.

We would be playing with one DM, not two. Winks is not a DM. No matter how deep he plays.

Like I said I don't mind seeing that attacking line up in certain games. But thinking it's the answer every game is madness. Ardiles famous 5 springs to mind style.

Our attacking players are not as good as Liverppol or City so it's pointless comparing us to them.

We would be playing with one DM, not two. Winks is not a DM. No matter how deep he plays.

Like I said I don't mind seeing that attacking line up in certain games. But thinking it's the answer every game is madness. Ardiles famous 5 springs to mind style.

Our attacking players are not as good as Liverppol or City so it's pointless comparing us to them.
I totally agree with you, but for the most part we've been playing with Dembo and Dier. With the emergence of Winks we only need one of those two along side him IMO, if we could get Ndombele we would really be in business.

I totally agree with you, but for the most part we've been playing with Dembo and Dier. With the emergence of Winks we only need one of those two along side him IMO, if we could get Ndombele we would really be in business.

Poch has a history of playing with a DM and a defensive CM.

At the saints he played with Schneiderlin and Wana. When he was first here he went with Capoue and Bentaleb. Then Dier and Dembele and then Wana and Dembele. Now he has gone back to Dembele and Dier.

Winks is the first player we have had I think Poch might consider just one DM with Winks as the CM.

With Alli and Eriksen capable of dropping deeper when needed I think it's the way forward.

Going all wishy washy like X has suggested won't win us anything if it's our main game plan. City still had one DM in the side in Fernandinho and the scouse have brought in Fab and Keita to give them some steel to help out Hendo.

We need to refresh our midfield. If that means losing Dembele, Sissoko and Wana so be it.

New DM, Dier, Winks, Alli, and a few of the kids is fine with me.