Tottenham Hotspur vs PSV Eindhoven | Page 11 | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur vs PSV Eindhoven

You are putting yourself forward as Chivs spokesperson on your combined hatred of ENIC , fair enough , but how does that have any correlation in the teams porformance at Wembley against PSV

Lack of depth caused by a lack of player acquisition. Oh, and I don't hate ENIC.

So that's the end of that then,God it's frightening how much we have stagnated since the last two seasons,absolute clusterfuck this new stadium is turning out to be.

Well, I've been waiting all season to see that front 6 together, and as expected they were dominating. The understanding they have of each other is obvious, and that chemistry has been sorely missing. Also loved not wasting a spot on an unnecessary extra defensive CM. Let's give a hand to another Keeper playing on his head against us, but also acknowledge that we need that last bit of mojo to get in in the net, and not shoot directly at the damn Goalie.

We shoulda scored 10.

Defensively, and on set pieces both ways, we are a calamity.

First thing.... Any chance we can stop this utter madness of incorporating our Keeper in 20% of our passes?!?! I mean WTF? Regardless of the numerous times we've had a player brain-fart and give it away in our face, but the whole tactical philosophy is totally unnerving. You can feel it. I understand the intention to draw the opponent out, fine, but it is being massively overdone, and putting stupid unnecessary pressure on the game for us.

Second..... Honestly can't remember ever seeing any team give up as many early early shitty goals than we have so far this season. I mean holy crap, way to put yourself under the gun. I feel a sense of relief if we make it thru the first 15min not conceding! Against ANYONE. And that's dumb. I honestly have no clue what our tactical setup is defending corners. Some truly baffling sh|t.

Backline currently feels f^cked. Who'da thunk it.

Fix it Poch.

We are 3 conceded goals (all after the 85th minute, and all stupid) away from a comfortable 2nd in the CL table

We have also only had one true poor result in the league, and both those goals were from set pieces....of course. Win 1-0 v Watford and we're tied at 27pts, but still 4th by goal diff.

More clinical finishing (and I think that comes with more time working together in matches), and that front 6 will scored an embarrassing amount of goals. Even kinda liked Llorente's contribution.

I don't feel too bad about things, rather have Vert on the pitch tho.

Is Serge like Moose, a 1 in 10 player?

I'm more gutted about Barca not beating Inter than I am our game. As I said above, it would have been a travesty to football if we can take 75% possession, have 30 chances and even get 10 on target and walk away with nothing. I get the frustrations of this season, but last night the boys put in a massive shift and did their bit to keep us in the UCL.

Just a shame that Inter have a better goal difference by 2 over us. In the "one game at a time mode", that's our next challenge. Looking forward to another glory night at Wembley in a couple of weeks when Inter come to town.

2 good things came out of the game, the win obviously, but Kane scoring again was a great one too. Just need to beat Barcelona and Inter and we’re done. JUST DO IT!

That is definitely not what I said or meant, for example. Someone says the moon landing was a hoax, he is entitled to that view.
Good point, but they may be correct as we don’t really know do we? The balance of evidence may suggest they are wrong in that particular case but as regards a game of football opinions are just that when discussing how a team performed or will perform, what constitutes success etc..is a shiny new stadium and training facilities success, is ENIC’s time in charge a success, is a billion pound balance sheet a success, is winning one League Cup in 18 years a success, will the team playing like last night really get a result at Barcelona, is Aurier a better RB than Trippier etc etc...these are all things that people have opinions about...but one thing that always emerges on here is that critics of what they are seeing happening at our club are always eventually accused of not being fans or supporters..ok that’s an opinion, but as you say it doesn’t mean it is valid.

I'm more gutted about Barca not beating Inter than I am our game. As I said above, it would have been a travesty to football if we can take 75% possession, have 30 chances and even get 10 on target and walk away with nothing. I get the frustrations of this season, but last night the boys put in a massive shift and did their bit to keep us in the UCL.

Just a shame that Inter have a better goal difference by 2 over us. In the "one game at a time mode", that's our next challenge. Looking forward to another glory night at Wembley in a couple of weeks when Inter come to town.

It wont come down to goal difference, it's head to head, so we have to beat Inter 1-0 and or by 2 goals. Although unless PSV somehow beat Inter away then we're out.

We're out

Well, I've been waiting all season to see that front 6 together, and as expected they were dominating. The understanding they have of each other is obvious, and that chemistry has been sorely missing

X, Well observed re. the front 6. Most dynamic we've been for some time, that's also partly due to not having a recognised DM set up. I loved the line-up and thought there'd be a goalfest. BUT... one has to remember, this is the 1st time we've put all these players together on the pitch at the same time. Give them a couple of more games to get in tune, it will be very exciting.

X, Well observed re. the front 6. Most dynamic we've been for some time, that's also partly due to not having a recognised DM set up. I loved the line-up and thought there'd be a goalfest. BUT... one has to remember, this is the 1st time we've put all these players together on the pitch at the same time. Give them a couple of more games to get in tune, it will be very exciting.

I guess that was part of my point, they ran them off the pitch, but finishing was a bit off, a half step or half second from a totally different end. And yes, more games with that group will shake that rust.

Winks can play the spot like Fernandinho for Citeh.

We really don't need Dier or Moose, or anyone else mucking it up there.

I think it was a risky selection without the recognised DM's. However, that's precisely what we HAD to do for this match, i.e. take risk and go all out for a win. I thought Poch may have added Sissoko to the starting 11. I think we may well revert back to our recent 'norm' v Palace. Last night will have been quite an energy sapping experience for both Eriksen and Alli (1st full game since injury). Just hope they remain fit for the weekend.

One thing we have improved in is when Llorente was sent on we did try to play to his strengths for a change as a way of breaking down a massed defence and it paid off albeit indirectly.

To be fair we were playing to his strengths all game. I lost count of the crosses we put in but they kept heading them away.

Bringing Tripps on at the same time signalled we were going to step it up.

I'm definitely not one of these posters who is under the misapprehension that 2 strikers means we're more attacking, or that 4-4-2 is the best formation, however against park the bus teams we often find ourselves resorting to pumping a load of crosses into the box - so maybe Llorente and Harry could form a Crouch and VDV like partnership in such scenarios.

The thing I found most interesting about yesterday was the lack of a DM. Yes we've played a combo of Sissoko and Winks in the middle, or Dembele and one of them but the intention was always to have one of them be more defensive. Yesterday Winks was picking the ball up from the defence and playing it forward, sometimes Eriksen dropped to do the same. Against sides who are setting up to defend for 90 minutes I'd love to see us do this more often. We'd get overrun by better sides, but might find ourselves breaking down relegation fodder more easily.

I think it was a risky selection without the recognised DM's. However, that's precisely what we HAD to do for this match, i.e. take risk and go all out for a win. I thought Poch may have added Sissoko to the starting 11. I think we may well revert back to our recent 'norm' v Palace. Last night will have been quite an energy sapping experience for both Eriksen and Alli (1st full game since injury). Just hope they remain fit for the weekend.

Was writing my post at the same time. It was risky but it worked. I too suspect Sissoko will return, but it's great to know Poch has that formation up his sleeve and as Xvausch says it can be a dominant option.

Very Happy with last nights performance; there's obviously still some work to do - afraid Xvausch has made most of the points I would have made if I'd been sober this morning..

Great evening - we still have improvement in us.

Not being a sanctimonious, lecturing windbag makes me happy.

Although the opposite seems to please other people.

Whatever floats your boat eh ?

Can't you just be happy for the players for once instead of totally being what you accuse me of being
All you seem to do is lecture everyone on how crap ENIC and Poch are, how we need to spend more money, but not once do you give a valid solution as to who should take over, oh and don't forget you Levy bashing, all you do is moan and bring the whole tone of the thread down, so please stop being such a sanctimonious, lecturing, windbag and be pleased we won, if not for yourself, then, as I said, for the players.
You really are Pele10 mark 2 aren't you

Can't see the point of hating ENIC; all they've done is run the business within it's own resources and not allowed the club to crash and burn as so many others have - of course the true price of this prudence is our failure to win SFA for far too long!

As our peers all (apart from Leicester who also cheated) had vast sums chucked at them.

Hating Tavistock and Joe Lewis for forcing the business to live within it's means might make more sense.

At a time when other dodgy Billionaires could be chucking hundreds of millions at clubs (Ok so 90% of those clubs exploded and fell down the leagues), he only supported the club up to around 100 mill....and then took it private with another 150 mill or so..

New academy/training faculties, new stadium that could finally close the financial gap with our peers....

All has taken far too long but that was the hand ENIC and Levy have been dealt by old Joe.

So hating Joe and Tavistock makes far more sense.

Can't see the point of hating ENIC; all they've done is run the business within it's own resources and not allowed the club to crash and burn as so many others have - of course the true price of this prudence is our failure to win SFA for far too long!

As our peers all (apart from Leicester who also cheated) had vast sums chucked at them.

Hating Tavistock and Joe Lewis for forcing the business to live within it's means might make more sense.

At a time when other dodgy Billionaires could be chucking hundreds of millions at clubs (Ok so 90% of those clubs exploded and fell down the leagues), he only supported the club up to around 100 mill....and then took it private with another 150 mill or so..

New academy/training faculties, new stadium that could finally close the financial gap with our peers....

All has taken far too long but that was the hand ENIC and Levy have been dealt by old Joe.

So hating Joe and Tavistock makes far more sense.
I've often posted that IMO Lewis has got of scot free, everyone hammering Levy without knowing what constraints have been placed on him by Lewis always seemed unfair to me.

To be fair we were playing to his strengths all game. I lost count of the crosses we put in but they kept heading them away.

Bringing Tripps on at the same time signalled we were going to step it up.

I'm definitely not one of these posters who is under the misapprehension that 2 strikers means we're more attacking, or that 4-4-2 is the best formation, however against park the bus teams we often find ourselves resorting to pumping a load of crosses into the box - so maybe Llorente and Harry could form a Crouch and VDV like partnership in such scenarios.

The thing I found most interesting about yesterday was the lack of a DM. Yes we've played a combo of Sissoko and Winks in the middle, or Dembele and one of them but the intention was always to have one of them be more defensive. Yesterday Winks was picking the ball up from the defence and playing it forward, sometimes Eriksen dropped to do the same. Against sides who are setting up to defend for 90 minutes I'd love to see us do this more often. We'd get overrun by better sides, but might find ourselves breaking down relegation fodder more easily.
Yes we were playing to his strengths most of the game, but he wasn’t on the pitch until late on...I too like your point re: the lack of a DM but I think we were playing a sort of 1 2 3 formation with high FBs to complement the attack...City and Liverpool play a 433 system with front 6 pressing in a pack allowing the FBs to be more defensive until an opportunity presents itself to attack, whereas our FBs are often caught out high up the pitch and the opposition exploit the space they leave on the counter, which is what led to the corner thst produced their goal and a couple of late chances. I think a better organised 433 approach is better suited to the players we have but at the moment our front players tend to be static and easily picked off by defenders, particularly Kane and not coordinated enough to contain counter attacks at source.