The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 222 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

To be honest I wanted him to leave along with others on here straight after his first season so we've finally got what we wanted and he's gone along with his useless assistants.

It's time to move on now and allow him to get his head together after a tough personal year with losing his parents and getting sacked.

I personally have now-forgotten about Steve Bruce and I have moved and look forward because what's done is done and all the talk in the world isn't going to change anything.

In fact, I wouldn't mind if this thread was permanently locked for good but that's just my own opinion.

Last edited:
I'm so pleased we have made a complete change in staff and structure. No guarantee of success but I don't care, as soon as Purslow came in the wheels were in motion, thank the lord mcgrath. If we end up in the play offs by the end of the season I will be far more confident we will give it a proper go.

It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it! It's more than just Bruce; the whole gang has now gone. Wyness and Round were certainly an improvement of what went went before, but in retrospect there was a lot of old English football establishment about it. The talk of a Villa way may have sounded fine, but in going for Bruce they effectively chucked that approach. A mistake, but one which they could have rectified and didn't.

Think we're now going down a road which everybody is determined to deliver on. The future is beginning to look bright, way beyond what happens this season.

I wonder if the manager's curse will hit Bruce. In my opinion, he did a very solid job for us considering the mess he inherited and he came very close to achieving success with us (but ultimately failed).

I would be surprised if he doesn't find another job quickly but we have a long history of ruining managers' careers.

I hope he takes a long break, he can't need the money, he looked stressed to hell, give it a rest then see.

I can see no substance for him being a fraud as per the comment above. He came, he tried, he didn't quite cut the mustard. Fine, all valid. But he's no fraud.

SB came, he saw and then he did exactly what he has done throughout the rest of his managerIal career. I don't know why anyone is surprised by that. Did he do a good job? Well let's just say he didn't do the job he was appointed to do. Could he have turned this season around? He would have been buying/loaning another 4 or 5 players in January and we may have made the playoffs. Has he damaged the club? IMHO he has made a significant contribution to the financial mess and I for one am glad that we have a new direction. Will it work? Only time will tell but I'm happy nonetheless.

And no, we don't need to close the thread! (y)
To be fair, I think the call to close the thread emanates from the fact that people are still using any excuse to have a pop at the man, and I don't think he deserves that. Yes, he made mistakes (as all of us do in life and our jobs). He's gone now, the chapter is closed and having a go at him now achieves absolutely nothing.... I thank him for his best efforts and now look forward with a new man who will get my full support....

I wonder if the manager's curse will hit Bruce. In my opinion, he did a very solid job for us considering the mess he inherited and he came very close to achieving success with us (but ultimately failed).

I would be surprised if he doesn't find another job quickly but we have a long history of ruining managers' careers.
Agree he did a solid job under difficult conditions both professional and personal issues, turned around a basket case of a club and came within a whisker of promotion. Yes he lost the plot at the end with hindsight he should of gone after the Fulham game but the club was in free fall , he could have gone to Leeds if you believe the rumours but chose to stay .

I think he did a good job of stabilising us when he was first appointed. We were looking like a team that could go down to the next tier if things weren’t sorted and he got us back on track. True things slipped when he lost sight of what was needed to push us on and some of his signings were poor but nobody deliberately sets out to fail. Circumstances went against him. I’m not sorry he’s gone but I can’t join in any personal insults against him. He fell short professionally not out of malice.