The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been a cash cow for bang average players for years
It's killed us

The daft thing is been said by the club for ages that the wage bill was to high. Yet the powers-that-be kept on agreeing to wages being paid at that level. And then agreed to buy more players even though it would leave the existing players on high wages sitting on the bench, or not even there.

Randy tried to put a stop to it and MON threw his toys out.

I don’t think it’s quite right to compare this with Gregory arriving. That was an all British affair just when the game was going world wide. You could argue not a good decision.

This time the DOF geezer gives us the world connection you need these days
That’s the theory anyway isn’t it

I think Dean has been reading Cruyff ‘s quotes, hope so it’s s simple game.

I don’t think it’s quite right to compare this with Gregory arriving. That was an all British affair just when the game was going world wide. You could argue not a good decision.

This time the DOF geezer gives us the world connection you need these days
That’s the theory anyway isn’t it

I think Dean has been reading Cruyff ‘s quotes, hope so it’s s simple game.

I can only remember Gegory's style of football as defensive and boring so there's another difference (I hope!).

Wicked’s right about Gregory style of play culminating in the worst cup final in living memory. We had good players to have a go but he let us down. He also let us down when he resigned just as we had Ellis on the ropes. He said Ellis was in a time warp. Gregory might just have got Ellis out like Ssumders did through fan power.

So it’s up to you Mr Smith, don’t change your attacking philosophy because you are at Villa.

Wicked’s right about Gregory style of play culminating in the worst cup final in living memory.

So it’s up to you Mr Smith, don’t change your attacking philosophy because you are at Villa.

Among my greatest disappointments as a Villa fan are our performances in those two FA cup finals. Defeat you can take but not turning up is unforgivable................

I hope that we can manage to lift the FA Cup before I shuffle off this mortal coil. That said, I'd settle for any trophy, starting with the Championship and culminating in the return of European football under the floodlights at a packed VP.

Not too much to ask surely............:please:

Among my greatest disappointments as a Villa fan are our performances in those two FA cup finals. Defeat you can take but not turning up is unforgivable................

I hope that we can manage to lift the FA Cup before I shuffle off this mortal coil. That said, I'd settle for any trophy, starting with the Championship and culminating in the return of European football under the floodlights at a packed VP.

Not too much to ask surely............:please:

Good God, the feeling after that Arsenal cup final!..:cry:

I wonder if the new gaffer can get one of our midfielders to play the Ryan Woods, (that little ginger lad),or Barry Bannon role for us. He had Woods playing it expertly for Brentford. Who could sit in that pocket between defence and back four and ping balls around the park for our midfielders and strikers to run onto? I wonder if McGinn could do it?

I wonder if the new gaffer can get one of our midfielders to play the Ryan Woods, (that little ginger lad),or Barry Bannon role for us. He had Woods playing it expertly for Brentford. Who could sit in that pocket between defence and back four and ping balls around the park for our midfielders and strikers to run onto? I wonder if McGinn could do it?

Yes I was thinking McGinn in that role, we don't have anyone else who is a terrier and could play the "quarterback" role .

I think Deano has adapted a different style this season since he lost Woods to Stoke .

Interesting weeks ahead

Yes I was thinking McGinn in that role, we don't have anyone else who is a terrier and could play the "quarterback" role .

I think Deano has adapted a different style this season since he lost Woods to Stoke .

Interesting weeks ahead

adapting a style to suit the players you have, what is this strange alchemy of which you speak

Could hourihane play that role? He's a good range of passing, when he's not just going backwards or sideways.

The arsenal one was the worst for me. Just the absolute worst cup final performance in history, we won't live that down for a long while.

The first thing Smith needs to do is last 223 pages of this thread on here, If he does we will be in the premiership

After waiting for sooooo long the FA Cup final against Chelsea was perhaps the worst low for me all because JG wanted to steal a win rather than go out and win it.

We had the players to beat them and what makes it worse was Chelsea didn't particularly play well and were there for the taking. I lost an awful lot of respect for John Gregory after that game.

Mind you were lucky to have won the semi-final against Bolton at Wembley which I went to.

Anyway I have no idea what this has got to do with Dean Smith so back on topic:lol:

After waiting for sooooo long the FA Cup final against Chelsea was perhaps the worst low for me all because JG wanted to steal a win rather than go out and win it.

We had the players to beat them and what makes it worse was Chelsea didn't particularly play well and were there for the taking. I lost an awful lot of respect for John Gregory after that game.

Mind you were lucky to have won the semi-final against Bolton at Wembley which I went to.

Anyway I have no idea what this has got to do with Dean Smith so back on topic:lol:

I think the biggest mistake was bringing Dublin back for the semi and the final, it was not the team that got was there. The side that beat Leeds would have walked it

I've just realised- we can start the Deano chants again! It'll be like going back to my childhood! Happy days. Even WM could start playing Dexy's Midnight Runners again!

Yes! I vaguely remember, as a (roundabouts) 6 or 7 year old being in the Holte, probably doing everyone around me’s head in with an extension of this song:

“Deano scores and we want some more not 1 not 2 not 3 but 4” (except my version went on and on to about the number infinity - not 5 not 6 not 7 not 8, you get the idea!).

Status
Not open for further replies.