The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike - don't think we'll be treading water until next summer. We haven't got a perfect squad - there's no such thing and ours has obvious weak spots. But I think we'll be aiming to catch the teams above us, and if we can improve the attack and plug at least some of the defensive leaks then I think we're in with a shout.

May take a few games to click. At worse the spell up to Christmas could be very mixed. But not necessarily. In January we could at least get Elphick back, and maybe Steer.

We may not get promoted this year. What we do need is a feeling we're going in the right direction. But I suspect both Smith and JT will be more ambitious than that.

Who knows?
We've seen more new dawns than most milkmen.
In the meantime. let's all enjoy the undoubted buzz there'll be for the next little while.

Paying a fine is ok 57 but, it's the club that have to pay it, not the owners, unless they can find a legal way of pumping that amount of cash into the club.
Besides the fine is only a minor irritation.
The big bugbears are the possibility of a transfer embargo. Plus the possibility of a 12 point deduction.
Those two mean it doesn't matter if the owners have £9 or £10 billion or, £10 in their bank accounts.
So your argument is actually pointless.

You worry too much much mate, they have the money to pay the best of the best legal teams, how do you think companies make millions and pay less take than a litter picker. It's all legal even if it's immoral.
We're not being run by some Chinese con man now.

You worry too much much mate, they have the money to pay the best of the best legal teams, how do you think companies make millions and pay less take than a litter picker. It's all legal even if it's immoral.

The thing is 57, Villa are not a company like Amazon but, belong to an organisation that has extra rules and punishments. Two of those punishments available for failure to comply with the organisations financial rules, are a points deduction from the beginning of next season and an embargo on us doing any transfer business. How do you think rich owners can get around those two points when its been tried before and failed miserably.

Think there is some flexibility in FFP regarding punishments. New owners trying to sort out a mess may get a more sympathetic hearing than someone who simply allows the club to build up a big loss without putting the relevant equity in.

We have two owners worth 6 billion quid. We have a great ceo, a great head of marketing and a great wage bill.
We have all the tools and at last someone who we can connect to.

It's good that O'Kelly's coming too as he seemed to be a big influence at both Walsall and Brentford, but I think its going to be a gradual thing, Brentford didn't actually set the world on fire when he first went there and Walsall was a slow burner, but if he hadn't left i'm convinced they would have been promoted.
Its a good time to be a villa fan, its good to be back, and, not wanting to speak ill of the dead, but my self imposed exile from Villa Park may be at an end

Sensible choice, happy enough with it, they have my support.
Get Smith focussed on the attacking side of things and Terry to sort out the defence (joint 2nd worst in the division! ) Hogan might be like a new signing to us now that the manager could get the team to play to his strengths. Terry can put his arm around Jack again and hype him up like last season. Even if he could mentor the u23 central defenders, have 1 on 1 sessions with them and promote them up to the 1st team. Win win.

I like him even more now , this as taken from the OS

"His favourite band is U2. He went to watch them at the O2 earlier this year for their ‘Experience and Innocence Tour’. That was 32 years after his first gig seeing them for the ‘Unforgettable Fire Tour’ at the old Cardiff Arms Park. “To have that durability as a band shows how good they are”

Mike - don't think we'll be treading water until next summer. We haven't got a perfect squad - there's no such thing and ours has obvious weak spots. But I think we'll be aiming to catch the teams above us, and if we can improve the attack and plug at least some of the defensive leaks then I think we're in with a shout.

May take a few games to click. At worse the spell up to Christmas could be very mixed. But not necessarily. In January we could at least get Elphick back, and maybe Steer.

We may not get promoted this year. What we do need is a feeling we're going in the right direction. But I suspect both Smith and JT will be more ambitious than that.

I do, but maybe not in the way you've assumed I meant. We can make headroads into style, confidence etc, but until we can sort that defence out even Smith is going to have one eye on being defensive and that holds us back given the players we have.

That's why I think we'll tread water - it'll be about getting through and getting what we can whilst showing in moments the improvements we're working on.

If that makes sense?

Even in January, we can bolster without spending a penny, but we still have major balance issues - so it's treading water until the summer where Pitarch and Smith can really do some work - by then, those that remain though will either be on board with him and doing what he wants or they get treated like a pubic hair on the side of a toilet and washed away.

Sorry 57, QPR ran that route - they are thankful the new rules weren't in place when they finally conceded defeat.

Clubs voted for this - you cannot forget that, no amount of gamesmanship changes it - clubs voted for it.

What's the deal if JT wants to take a player role too is that allowed?
If still registered and retirement talk was just talk - even then we have time to re-register him but maybe not before our next fixture?

It's doable though.

Smith could un-hang his boots if he wanted, we could register Doris - it's all allowed if we tick the paperwork boxes. Me and you could play genuinely if the club were stupid enough to let us lol

I like him even more now , this as taken from the OS

"His favourite band is U2. He went to watch them at the O2 earlier this year for their ‘Experience and Innocence Tour’. That was 32 years after his first gig seeing them for the ‘Unforgettable Fire Tour’ at the old Cardiff Arms Park. “To have that durability as a band shows how good they are”
Sounds perfect , villa & U2 mad, bit like me
Roll on next Friday in Manchester with u2

Sorry 57, QPR ran that route - they are thankful the new rules weren't in place when they finally conceded defeat.

Clubs voted for this - you cannot forget that, no amount of gamesmanship changes it - clubs voted for it.

One thing I do know Mike is that nobody outside of Villa knows anything. It's all guesswork.

One thing I do know Mike is that nobody outside of Villa knows anything. It's all guesswork.
Finances yes mate, and remember I'm on the side of not thinking we're doomed.

But regulations and the law, I'm right. QPR exhausted it, and despite their ongoing legal objections and case the EFL member clubs (and Prem clubs above them) still voted in new amendments to the rules - there is no ignoring them.

We have to stop thinking we can, spend that time working out how we get around them.

We have two owners worth 6 billion quid. We have a great ceo, a great head of marketing and a great wage bill.
We have all the tools and at last someone who we can connect to.

Almost right pvb.
The only thing I disagree with you about is the wage bill.
Our wage bill has been over-inflated for years and still is.
As a mid-table championship club, we currently run a mid-table premiership wage bill.
We have players on £30, £35, £40, £45 and £50 thousand+ a week, in a league where, without us and the three relegated clubs wage bills, the average wage works out at around £12-£15k.

Status
Not open for further replies.