Dean Austin... | Vital Football

Dean Austin...

Brendan Bradley

Vital Squad Member
...is now available for other managerial jobs now Northampton have sacked him after 10 games. Can someone call Grimsby?

It shows how narrow the margins are. Had they beaten us, as they should have done, in the first game of the season, they would probably have had the impetus to get better results.

Just about every one of their games this season seems to have been the same pattern - dominated possession, create lots of chances, don't take them and then concede.

Have to say if NTFC are at this point already, then it does make you wonder what Cods are still doing with a manager who is on a rolling 6 month contract (unless he has just signed his next 6 months!!)

That may keep Jolley in a job for a week or two longer - you would think Northampton would be ahead of Grimsby in the queue for a new manager, thereby restricting Grimsby's options (if they have any, that is). Gary Bowyer already being mentioned in connection with Northampton.

The pool is indeed shallow and not teeming with talent either.

Westley is one option for the Cods (and for the Cobblers) although it looks as if the fans early favourite is Gary Bowyer

I saw Dean Austin's interview after the defeat at Mansfield. He sounded like someone who had run out of ideas. The Stags could have scored 7 or 8 against them.

that happened very quickly, so either they had a very short shortlist and have done no second interview or due diligence - or they have been lining up a new guy for weeks before sacking jane austen.

Seems like the fans want Kevin Wilkin from Brackley. Ex player who won FA Trophy with small club last season.

I reckon successful non-league managers are going to look a bit more attractive to a lot of fans of other teams given the Cowley's success with us. Probably a better bet than a serial managerial mediocrity like Keith Curle.

I reckon successful non-league managers are going to look a bit more attractive to a lot of fans of other teams given the Cowley's success with us. Probably a better bet than a serial managerial mediocrity like Keith Curle.
Wilkin’s only ‘big’ role was Wrexham where he led them to a record low position.

I prefer the bringing coaches up method, like we did with the Cowley’s but perhaps Wilkin isn’t the way to go.

N’ton fans must be so uninspired at that. They’ll improve with Curle but not much. Finish around 16th or 17th.
I can only imagine that's the idea, at the moment they would probably take a comfortable mid-table finish over risking all on an unknown that if it goes like Grimsby takes them to the conference.

that happened very quickly, so either they had a very short shortlist and have done no second interview or due diligence - or they have been lining up a new guy for weeks before sacking jane austen.

When clubs are on a downward spiral chairmen feel the pressure and panic, in a sense, and sensibility is a difficult skill to put into practice.

Chairmen are usually driven by their own egos and when they go for circuit managers like Keith Curle it's caused by their own pride, and prejudice against up and coming managers who have already succeeded at a lower level

Keith Curle is a nasty piece of work. I still remember the 2004 semi final at the Mc Alpine. Before the game a group of about 5 Huddersfield fans including a couple of kids tried to engage him in a chat as he headed in to the stadium. Curle's response was to flick a lit cigarette at them and tell them to f*** off!

Keith Curle is a nasty piece of work. I still remember the 2004 semi final at the Mc Alpine. Before the game a group of about 5 Huddersfield fans including a couple of kids tried to engage him in a chat as he headed in to the stadium. Curle's response was to flick a lit cigarette at them and tell them to f*** off!

I have heard one or two stories like this regarding him and his attitude. Usually no smoke without fire as they say!

When clubs are on a downward spiral chairmen feel the pressure and panic, in a sense, and sensibility is a difficult skill to put into practice.

Chairmen are usually driven by their own egos and when they go for circuit managers like Keith Curle it's caused by their own pride, and prejudice against up and coming managers who have already succeeded at a lower level
Curle would need little or no persuasion to grab any job I suppose. I wonder if Austin will enjoy the irony that the final straw for the chairman was at Mansfield’s park.

Curle would need little or no persuasion to grab any job I suppose. I wonder if Austin will enjoy the irony that the final straw for the chairman was at Mansfield’s park.

You're having to crowbar those in just as much as I was. Kudos to you for spotting the Mansfield reference :clap: