Feeder Clubs | Vital Football

Feeder Clubs

Brendan Bradley

Vital Squad Member
I missed this earlier but I had to read it as anything that comes out of Tim Sherwood's mouth is almost certain to be stark raving bonkers
https://www.skysports.com/football/...come-feeder-clubs-for-premier-league-big-boys

Let's pick a few holes in this.

Firstly, in common with most lower league clubs we already have several young players on loan from clubs in higher divisions. Higher quality young players are on loan at Championship clubs. Their development is not being stymied by a lack of game time.

When they refer to "feeder clubs" they always want to bring up the subject of Spanish "B" teams. Sky can't even get it right in that article. Barcelona B were relegated last season and there are currently no B teams in the Spanish 2nd Division.

If anyone really wants a full explanation I could give it, but in reality B teams in Spain play at 2B level (League 1 to National League standard) or Tercera Division (NLN/NPL standard).

The most successful clubs at producing players are Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad. They do this as it's been their policy for 100 years. Of Real Sociedad's squad of 24 players for this season, 12 came from their youth set up.

All Spanish teams who have a really good prospect not ready for the 1st team loan them to a side in the 2nd Division. Just like in England.

Want to stop Premier League teams hoarding young players? Give them squad limits and tell them they have to release all players from their contracts who haven't made the cut.

"There is enough clubs out there who are willing enough to do it for their clubs, who are dying a slow death and haemorrhaging money. Clubs will be willing to open their arms out to Premier League teams and say 'you can use this club for your young player' but the FA has to allow it to happen."

That b0llocks, because no-one wants feeder clubs. I bet that if you asked every L1 and L2 to put a vote to the fans, every single one would vote against it. It's not even a close call.

Will never happen in this country! It might be established in Spain but most lower league clubs have history going back a lot further than the so called big boys.

I would rather watch Lincoln City die as a club than become a feeder club to Premier League rubbish!

Tim Sherwood is an idiot. You can kind of understand when managers etc from overseas start moaning on about this stuff but you'd think someone who's been involved in English football as long as he has would understand why it's never going to happen here.

You can kind of understand when managers etc from overseas start moaning on about this stuff .

I can't! This is the English League system and has been for decades. If they don't like it go home! Otherwise shut up and bank your big fat pay packet! All they do is pi$$ more football fans in this country off and the chasm between the PL and EFL fans gets bigger and bigger!

I can't! This is the English League system and has been for decades. If they don't like it go home! Otherwise shut up and bank your big fat pay packet! All they do is pi$$ more football fans in this country off and the chasm between the PL and EFL fans gets bigger and bigger!

I'm not agreeing with them! I just mean that it's an incredibly Premier League-centred viewpoint. Someone like Sherwood just has even less of an excuse.

Didn't we once have some form of unofficial feeder type link in with Everton and vaguely recall something muted with Sheffield Ute back in the 80s. Not new but very unwelcome. Nothing wrong with current system of loan deals in my view.

Oh dear, how embarrassing for him. He really believes the way to stop big clubs stockpiling and losing young players is to turn lower league clubs into feeder clubs? There speaks a man who knows nothing and cares nothing about the evolution of club football in England.

We touched on the subject of B teams and the Spanish League in the January Player Ratings article - have a quick read of the relevant section, which explains why that system evolved and how well it works:

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/...-time-to-put-the-b-team-fantasy-to-bed.47675/

Mr Sherwood needs to do his homework before speaking in future.

We touched on the subject of B teams and the Spanish League in the January Player Ratings article - have a quick read of the relevant section, which explains why that system evolved and how well it works...

I wasn't aware of that thread so thanks for posting it.

B Teams is one thing to be avoided, but feeder clubs is quite another.

B Teams would only be taking up the rightful places of independent football clubs, to allow feeder clubs is to destroy the independence of historical clubs entirely.

So Tactics Tim's suggestion is even worse.

Firstly, in common with most lower league clubs we already have several young players on loan from clubs in higher divisions. Higher quality young players are on loan at Championship clubs. Their development is not being stymied by a lack of game time.

When they refer to "feeder clubs" they always want to bring up the subject of Spanish "B" teams. Sky can't even get it right in that article. Barcelona B were relegated last season and there are currently no B teams in the Spanish 2nd Division.

If anyone really wants a full explanation I could give it, but in reality B teams in Spain play at 2B level (League 1 to National League standard) or Tercera Division (NLN/NPL standard).

The most successful clubs at producing players are Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad. They do this as it's been their policy for 100 years. Of Real Sociedad's squad of 24 players for this season, 12 came from their youth set up.

All Spanish teams who have a really good prospect not ready for the 1st team loan them to a side in the 2nd Division. Just like in England.

Want to stop Premier League teams hoarding young players? Give them squad limits and tell them they have to release all players from their contracts who haven't made the cut.[/QUOTE]
I missed this earlier but I had to read it as anything that comes out of Tim Sherwood's mouth is almost certain to be stark raving bonkers
https://www.skysports.com/football/...come-feeder-clubs-for-premier-league-big-boys

Want to stop Premier League teams hoarding young players? Give them squad limits and tell them they have to release all players from their contracts who haven't made the cut.

Without researching this, I’m led to believe that on basque players are selected?
Personally I haven’t any problem with this. But if we are forced to accept eu rules like this after Brexit...

Without researching this, I’m led to believe that on basque players are selected?
Personally I haven’t any problem with this. But if we are forced to accept eu rules like this after Brexit...

In order to play for Athletic Bilbao you have to have been born in one of the 5 Basque provinces that straddle the Spain/France border. Over the years this has been widened to include Navarra, and also anyone who learnt their football skills in the region.

I think that's an admirable policy and I can't see why it attracts criticism as it's no different from international football. If it relates to the lack of black players that's because northern Spain is not an area where many black people live.

For half a century their Basque neighbours Real Sociedad had exactly the same policy. It ended when they signed John Aldridge in the late 80s, but they still produce mostly their own players.

If there is any racism involved it's because, even though they made signings of foreigners after Aldridge, for many years after they steadfastly refused to sign a non-Basque Spaniard. Eventually they relented on that too.

The roots of Basque nationalism are inescapably racist - its founder believed Basques to be mentally and physically superior to the Spanish - but that has nothing to do with their football teams.

As for Brexit, sheesh, what has the UK's employment policy got to do with the EU?

"The roots of Basque nationalism are inescapably racist - its founder believed Basques to be mentally and physically superior to the Spanish - but that has nothing to do with their football teams."

Most "nationalisms" shade into racism - or more commonly, xenophobia - at some point.