How much trouble are Spurs now in? | Vital Football

How much trouble are Spurs now in?

Spursex

Alert Team
How much trouble are we really in?

Am I being too pessimistic, if I am, why?

If I'm not, the our season could be a slip into a pre-Poch era of average Spursiness...

When Victor and Dembele were in their prime just a couple of seasons ago, for much of that season we looked invulnerable in midfield.

Dier too played his part, even if his slow monotonous sideways – backwards passing when a chance for letting the ball run across his body to having face the opposition, which could have resulted in a telling forward pass - was missed by him. Eric had a presence, he covered ground, he stood strong at set-pieces.

Alas since then, all three have deteriorated; Victors injury issues still appear to on-going, Dembo is no better than a 1:5 player maybe even a 1:10 player now, he can’t seemingly last two games in a row or even 90 mins – he seems to know it too as he runs down his contract and looks to the Chinese league for one last big not too taxing payday.

Of course, many welcomed the acquisition of Sissoko – I wasn’t one of them – some thought he was the super box to box storming strong midfielder ‘a la Pogba’ we’d been missing, sadly ever criticism I had of him before he joined he seems to have fulfilled; touch can be poor, control poor, decision making poor – unable to jump – basically a large lump with little finesse or creative skills, at times accurate passing seems something he’s never apparently learned.

Why he is still with us, I will never know – except of course, someone you know might well be better than nothing….how much longer can we wait for some sort of major improvement in his performances?

Dier in my mind should and could have been the best English CB in the league, but he thinks he’s ‘better’ than that and it seems Poch reluctantly agrees. The disappointment I feel in his performances now, is match only by my despair at Dembele’s much prophesised decline.

Dier has at times looked dire, slow, ponderous, negative and even disinterested ever since his failed move to Manure – Poch has to somehow get him reanimated and brought back from the dead, he has to be shown how to make forward quick passes and how to run past an opposition and stretch their defence, in short, he has to take gambles and use his footballing intelligence which he showed when he first joined, or he too will risk becoming just another lumbering waste of space.

The one really bright spot for me was Winks, so much so I thought he was the best box to box midfielder we’d produced in living memory – or was going to be, then saldy for us after making a huge impact where it was clear he was on the upwards improve trajectory, he gota bad ankle injury, had it eventually operated on, but came back with still a big problem, no.2 has come and gone and now I along with every sensible Spurs fan I know are crossing their fingers that he can start getting back to somewhere near his best; we are desperate for his abilities, his deft touch, his forward passing range, his ability to run beyond a defence and make it tell..

All of the above, taken in the round convinced me our previous no.1 target for midfield would still be the one we’d look to for this summer to fill our painful Centre Midfield gaps – but alas he too suffered another injury and we apparently switched off, he’s now at Everton in some seemingly make-weight deal. If he plays as he can, Everton may have hit the jackpot.

In any event we’re left with a mess, and now have two kids Skippy and Amos who might be the ones who’ll have to fulfil the gaps we didn’t address.

We’ve got to see out half the season with a couple of crocks, a returnee and two of the most negatively minded Centre Midfielders we’ve had in the last couple of seasons.

I can only hope the kids seize their chance to impress and that even if they do come January we have at least one genuine top class CM’er addition – if we don’t, then I think even my highly negative forecast of a 6th place finish might be a stretch.

Rare to see you post with such negativity EX. But you are bang on the money. Except Dier as the best English CB line. ;-)

We somehow need to think beyond the current 5 centre mids and look for other ways to be effective. That could be Poch refocusing Dele to start acting like a centre mid when he comes back into that zone. He's still doing too many flicks and tricks in the middle of the park for Spurs and is always at risk of losing possession. If he looked back at the Watford game he'd realise he wasn't helping Dembele that much whereas with Hendo in the England team he was way more switched on. Dele can make or break our midfield at times.

Ultimately, I'd love Spurs to close the Neves deal in Jan and make sure he is a Spurs player for the start of next season. He'd make our midfield dynamic again, along with Winks.

I think it's right to be concerned but there are too many IFs regarding our MF.

How will Poch progress with our shape ? Will Victor get back to how he was. ? Will Winks recover fully and move forward in his development ? How many good games can Dembo produce ? ( he will to confound us ) , will Dier be able to settle in one position ? ( whatever that is ), will Amos and Skipp be allowed to mix it with the big boys and possibly emerge onto the big stage

How much effect will Lamela have when back because he operates off of the MF and provides a link to attack ? The same for Eriksen and Dele really. If they start feeding Moura with through balls from deeper our MF could change it's ponderous sideways backwards approach.

Its an interesting set of variables that only time will answer.

Oh no , yet another one joins the negative brigade !.........the list gets longer and longer !
We don't get in that sort of trouble with all the talent we have got

If Wanyama, Lamela and winks are back we are fine. It's that simple.

I'd also like to see us play 3 weeks without Harry.
When Winksy ,Vic ,Son, Lamela return ,as you say 80 , we will be back to being a force again.
When the World Cup cobwebs blow themselves away ,watch us go .

The posts on here were flat enough as it was without this thread bringing out all the naysayers ,or at least providing another platform :taz::arrghh:

Oh no , yet another one joins the negative brigade !.........the list gets longer and longer !
We don't get in that sort of trouble with all the talent we have got

When Winksy ,Vic ,Son, Lamela return ,as you say 80 , we will be back to being a force again.
When the World Cup cobwebs blow themselves away ,watch us go .

The posts on here were flat enough as it was without this thread bringing out all the naysayers ,or at least providing another platform :taz::arrghh:

It's a chance to be positive too by weighing up our options and returnees . You can go whichever way you see it. The worst way is to put the blinkers on and pretend there is nothing to consider.

It's a chance to be positive too by weighing up our options and returnees . You can go whichever way you see it. The worst way is to put the blinkers on and pretend there is nothing to consider.
I understand that Nick , .....when we are fourteenth in the table I probably will be considering peeking out from the blinkers , or I might just be still supporting Tottenham through thick and thin like I have for the last 59 years , not getting down , or having the hump for a week ,like my Dad did , and in general ,loving being a Spurs supporter come rain or shine .

I'm not sure what my biggest concern is. Kane getting long term crocked probably. Maybe Eriksen or Alli. MF and defence I am less so.

Holy Crap...when EX is posting like this...we really are in trouble!

Though to be fair...I 100% concur with everything he said.

Eriksen has run the furthest in the Prem this season after 4 games. Dele is in 10th place.
Eriksen always covers a deceptively large amount of ground. Remember before being surprised that he covered a minimum of 11km per game when it last came up.

CM Is definitely the area I worry about the most. and LB while Davies and Rose both seem to have forgotten how to play at our level... but images of Wanyama, Winks and Lamela in training yesterday made me optimistic, combined with Sonny's return - we'll have more options of how to set up, as well as the obvious benefit of more fit quality CMs if they can stay fit. Wanyama in particular will be a huge boost IMO.

I also think Dembele is better than 1:5 but agree two games in a week is usually beyond him.

I was very interested to see how Dier would play after his fighting talk interview he gave pre-Watford game. It spoke of a determination to win and a drive to improve that told a different story to his indifferent first 3 games of the season - Poch ended up dropping him so we'll never know if it was just him paying lip service or if he was really fired up. I still rate Dier as decent, he adds grit in midfield, but he's definitely dropped from a couple years ago where he was among the first names on the teamsheet for us and England, to a player I hope recovers his form while Wanyama gets some games ahead of him.

When we start to click for longer than 30 or so mins. When our options include Son, Lamela, Vic, Winksy etc then we will be a force to be reckoned with. As it stands we have lost one game.....yeah we haven't exactly played well, apart from sporadic periods....but we will, of that I am sure

Must admit, think is the first time for a few seasons where I don't have a clue what is our best eleven or even formation. We used to be debating over the 10th or 11th space only.

The centre mid debate is right at the heart of that. 2 seasons ago it was Wanyama and Dembele. I'm hoping that we can get Wanyama and Winks together at some point this season.

If Poch is trying out different formations and tactics it makes sense. Our high press has been sussed so we need other options. I guess we will go through some pain in the process. Or I could be talking bollox.

When we start to click for longer than 30 or so mins. When our options include Son, Lamela, Vic, Winksy etc then we will be a force to be reckoned with. As it stands we have lost one game.....yeah we haven't exactly played well, apart from sporadic periods....but we will, of that I am sure

On the rare occasions we do play well for more than 30 minutes or longer, we still remain in reach of our opponents as we often lack the clinical instincts to be more than one goal ahead & put games to bed when on top. Sloppy, disjointed play and the loss of control is too prevalent when we should be over the hill far away and bossing it. We’re too kind, obliging and not ruthless. Not the qualities of champions.
The sporadic threats of Lamela are not going to do much to change the status quo, the sustained threat that Son poses and the fine-tuning of precision to make the periods of ascendancy count is what we need more of.

Last edited:
On the rare occasions we do play well for more than 30 minutes or longer, we still remain in reach of our opponents as we often lack the clinical instincts to be more than one goal ahead & put games to bed when on top. Sloppy, disjointed play and the loss of control is too prevalent when we should be over the hill far away and bossing it. We’re too kind, obliging and not ruthless. Not the qualities of champions.
The sporadic threats of Lamela are not going to do much to change the status quo, the sustained threat that Son poses and the fine-tuning of precision to make the periods of ascendancy count is what we need more of.

Cant really disagree too much with what you are saying, mostly we do have problems killing off the game (with more goal\) when we get our noses in front, mostly Lamela doesn't offer a sustained threat - though i do believe he is definitely capable of that, what he does offer though is 100% effort and urgency which I think galvanises those around him. Son who can and often does come up with a goal out of nothing is going to give us options.
I want to see fluent passing, closing down, effort from the off till the end, unselfish play in front of the goal...…. and I absolutely believe we have the players to do that, still a question mark over whether Poch is the one to ensure this is implemented all the time and not in fits and starts...…. I hope he will be.

Cant really disagree too much with what you are saying, mostly we do have problems killing off the game (with more goal\) when we get our noses in front, mostly Lamela doesn't offer a sustained threat - though i do believe he is definitely capable of that, what he does offer though is 100% effort and urgency which I think galvanises those around him. Son who can and often does come up with a goal out of nothing is going to give us options.
I want to see fluent passing, closing down, effort from the off till the end, unselfish play in front of the goal...…. and I absolutely believe we have the players to do that, still a question mark over whether Poch is the one to ensure this is implemented all the time and not in fits and starts...…. I hope he will be.

I think Son has had dips in form and gone missing in some games. So not sustained in my view.