Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Thomas Holte

Vital Football Legend
Several years ago we used to have a great thread on here started by BBJ asking for peoples memories of AVFC. It was full of some wonderful stories and photos and it's a shame I can't find it to resurrect it again.

So here is a brand new thread for you older and younger Villans to tell us some stories and inclose photos (if you have any) so we can look back and let that sense of pride we all feel about our great club come flooding back along with the memories.......Thanks.

I'll start the ball rolling (pun intended!) with this photo and video I recently came across that I'd never seen before.

It was my first ever visit to the old Wembley in 1971.

We lost but the club was on the way back as the Villa fans completely drowned out the Spurs fans.

I was only 16 but the whole day is still one I look back at with pride.Dla_DnfXoAAMznG.jpg

Last edited:
Ah. The true Trinity Road stand. The best stand that there has ever been in any football ground in the whole world...bar none.

Herbert destroyed lots of things during his time in charge but tearing down the Trinity was bar far the most criminal!

He ought to have been jailed for life for that.

And look at the badge between Aston and Villa. That is the true Villa badge, forget the round one.

Whoever goes to the the fans meeting with the powers that be, should impress on the owners that we should return to this badge on next years kit with the club motto "Prepared" reinstated.

We don't need the star, we all know that we were European Champions and that's all that counts.

The old trinity Road stand was a thing of beauty. How it was allowed to be completely torn down is beyond me.

Ah. The true Trinity Road stand. The best stand that there has ever been in any football ground in the whole world...bar none.

Herbert destroyed lots of things during his time in charge but tearing down the Trinity was bar far the most criminal!

He ought to have been jailed for life for that.

I'm glad it was around while I was growing up in Aston. Such memories playing in Aston Park and looking over at that work of art.

villaoldendays.jpg

I'll start the ball rolling (pun intended!) with this photo and video I recently came across that I'd never seen before.

It was my first ever visit to the old Wembley in 1971.

We lost but the club was on the way back as the Villa fans completely drowned out the Spurs fans.

I was only 16 but the whole day is still one I look back at with pride.View attachment 28667
My first trip to Wembley as well. But I was only 12!

Sadly the late Alan Deakin leading the team out at for an FA Cup game at Anfield in 1967 which was my first ever away game with my dad.

We lost 1-0 to an Ian St John goal but it was still a very special day that I will always remember........Thanks, Oul Fella.FA-Cup-4th-Round-match-at-Anfield-February-1967-Liverpool-v-Aston-Villa-Villas-Deakin-makes-hi...jpg