Swindon Fans Preview | Vital Football

Swindon Fans Preview

I've read all the replies and seems to me that some of them are ridiculing the OP and his assertions of "Long ball etc."

I am a Lincoln fan and accept "ATM" that we are pretty much a long ball team. Yes we score some nice goals and we do play some football, but we do tend to "soften" our opponents up with the long balls.

Most of their replies pretty much ridicule the suggestion that "you can't succeed higher up the ladder playing this way so it is pointless as you would have to change tactic further up the ladder."

I have to say that just because a vast majority of our goals are not scored directly from long balls does not mean that we are not a long ball team. We DO tend to play long ball football for the majority of the game yet somehow score most of our goals from the rare moments we are not playing so directly. Which may well be down to the "softening up" throughout the game.

I've read all the replies and seems to me that some of them are ridiculing the OP and his assertions of "Long ball etc."

I am a Lincoln fan and accept "ATM" that we are pretty much a long ball team. Yes we score some nice goals and we do play some football, but we do tend to "soften" our opponents up with the long balls.

Most of their replies pretty much ridicule the suggestion that "you can't succeed higher up the ladder playing this way so it is pointless as you would have to change tactic further up the ladder."

I have to say that just because a vast majority of our goals are not scored directly from long balls does not mean that we are not a long ball team. We DO tend to play long ball football for the majority of the game yet somehow score most of our goals from the rare moments we are not playing so directly. Which may well be down to the "softening up" throughout the game.

After seeing us get bullied by the likes of Alfreton in the past, I for one will not apologise for the players using their strength in a challenge. I don't think we bully at all, we are just stronger, and teams don't like it. As for long balls all teams in this division play it on a regular basis.

After seeing us get bullied by the likes of Alfreton in the past, I for one will not apologise for the players using their strength in a challenge. I don't think we bully at all, we are just stronger, and teams don't like it. As for long balls all teams in this division play it on a regular basis.

Which I agree with entirely. First half of Exeter away we played the "nice" football, they lumped it forward and hoofed. We ended up losing (half time and full.)

It makes me laugh when these opposition teams call us a ‘long ball’ team. John Beck really left a legacy!
The football today is unrecognisable to the football we played under the likes of Beck in the 90s. Those were the days when it literally was long balls into the corners, when players got fined for passing!
Of course there is an element of directness to our play. Where do you want the ball? Around our box or there’s?
But there’s an element of directness in every team at our level, in just the same way as every game has a period of to-and-fro head tennis.
As a neutral, I’d love to watch tippy-tappy free flowing, pass and move football.... but I’m not a neutral. I’m a City fan and I want to see us win in whatever way we can get a result.
That said, whatever anyone else says, there’s a lot more to our team than lumping it long. I think other teams have just become slightly jealous of our recent successes and being ‘battered off the park by 6 footers’ is a good excuse for a poor result.

I seem to quite often get the feeling that some opposition fans have already written their post match reports in the event of a loss at our hands several days before the match kicks off.

£100k for Luque lol. DC confirmed it's effectively a free transfer with add-ons based on how we and the player do.

Nor did we play 5-3-2 in several pre-season games either. Two I think?

And our normal style aren't wing backs either, so there's another inaccuracy.

He's also described Rhead as mobile.

And Cowley didn't bring Rhead in, as suggested. He was a Moyses signing.

We don't have a boom and bust history either.

Apart from that, an accurate thread.

Even on an internet full of total idiots, that's really quite poor.

I did enjoy how the thread descended into bickering, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once more I will say that I don't know why so many of you get yourselves into such a lather about the comments of opposing fans. It may raise a wry smile, but if it's nonsense it only says something about the person making the comment. You can't change the perceptions of fools.

On the other hand, we fall out a bit amongst ourselves about the merits of direct football, the proper use of the big lads upfront, time-out injury breaks etc. That this shouldn't then be a hot topic of conversation amongst opponents is hardly a surprise. Nor should it be a shock that others don't often see it so charitably. And it wouldn't be a problem to them at all if it wasn't producing wins.

And, it has to be said, those comments are there not because of some mass hypnosis due to the reciting of the mantra "Lincoln are long ball" but because there is a grain of truth in it.

The key to enlightenment is suffering. And we've suffered enough.

I really don't understand the animosity towards the siren. Why on earth are they so bothered about it? So many opposing fans (who write pre-match previews at least) seem to say 'it shouldn't be allowed!'...and then grumble at being called snowflakes! Stop worrying about a bit of noise and make your own, folks.

I dont love the siren But i do love it winding the opposition fans up for some reason which is very strange to me??