Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City

I've watched the full match. We were panic at the Sixfields in the first half, contained well after the goal although we were obviously second best, and then went panic again at 90+. The commentary worked very well in full length.

ICertainly the ball lofted between Wharton and toffolo and in particular the ball behind toffolo were causing us problems, with Toffolo often way way up the field.

That was exactly right.

Some posters seem to think using that space was evidence of Northampton playing long ball football. If that's so I don't know how anyone can explain the difference to them?

Having seen the (brief) highlights, I couldn't agree more. And to think some Northampton fans had the nerve to accuse us of being long ball! The only time they got near our goal appeared to be from a big hoof over the top or an error by one of our defenders, of which there were two horrific ones at least.

Northampton had a lot of the ball (60%+) and passed it about, but with no threat to our goal. There was a lot of possession football for no purpose and the only two things that occasionally raised the expectations were when they cut in from both wings and drove perpendicular into the middle (where they lost the nerve to shoot or were dispossessed) or when they gave up any hope of working the ball through us and hit it early over the top. We, on the other hand, invariably hit it long, or at least tried to move it early and quickly. On the few occasions when we kept it on the floor we looked much better.

Basically, what you saw on the highlights were the few interesting bits, but they didn't truly reflect the overall feel of the game and I can understand why the Northants support saw it the way they did. At the end of the day it misses the point, which is that they could still be playing this evening and would probably still not have scored.

"We, on the other hand, invariably hit it long, or at least tried to move it early and quickly."

Wait, I thought that now we'd got rid of that long-ball merchant Woodyard we were going to be the Barca of L2? "Passing it through the thirds" and destroying the opposition with our silky skills.

What the hell happened?

Well, that's very disappointing. I'm just not going to go on Saturday if we're still "Long-ball Lincoln".

If you aren't going to go anymore can I have your season ticket then please? :yes:

We will always be "Long Ball Lincoln" it goes with the territory. :wahey:

Anyway looking on the bright side at least it will preserve the grass better in this heat if you don't have a pesky ball rolling across it! :lol:

If playing long ball allows us snatch victories against purists of the footballing world who like to emulate the Spanish side, then I'm all for it. Football is, after all, a results based business and we all know what happened to spain in the last world cup

If playing long ball allows us snatch victories against purists of the footballing world who like to emulate the Spanish side, then I'm all for it. Football is, after all, a results based business and we all know what happened to spain in the last world cup

Erm... let's just get a little bit of perspective shall we?

The Spanish NT had unprecedented success between 2008 and 2012, albeit their best version was the 2008 team of Aragones.

Spanish teams have won the last 5 Champions Leagues (and Atletico were beaten finalists in two of those), and 7 out of the last 10.

Spanish teams have won 9 of the last 15 Europa Leagues (and had 2 beaten finalists).

Plus, the architect of tiki taka just set new records in the English League with 32 wins from 38 games in the supposedly highly competitive Premier League.

I don't think you can really claim that Spanish styles (of which there are a few) don't get results.

Erm... let's just get a little bit of perspective shall we?

The Spanish NT had unprecedented success between 2008 and 2012, albeit their best version was the 2008 team of Aragones.

Spanish teams have won the last 5 Champions Leagues (and Atletico were beaten finalists in two of those), and 7 out of the last 10.

Spanish teams have won 9 of the last 15 Europa Leagues (and had 2 beaten finalists).

Plus, the architect of tiki taka just set new records in the English League with 32 wins from 38 games in the supposedly highly competitive Premier League.

I don't think you can really claim that Spanish styles (of which there are a few) don't get results.

Especially in L2.

Especially in L2.

No reason that passing the ball to each other can't be attempted, even amongst the clodhoppers of Division 4.

I find it a bit amusing that Northampton's alleged passing style is being criticised by some merely because they lost, when only their finishing, and Vickers brilliance kept them from winning comfortably.

No reason that passing the ball to each other can't be attempted, even amongst the clodhoppers of Division 4.

I find it a bit amusing that Northampton's alleged passing style is being criticised by some merely because they lost, when only their finishing, and Vickers brilliance kept them from winning comfortably.

Agreed. I love watching pretty losing football...when the opposition play it. ;)

That Van Der Veen who Danny said went for four million a bit back is about to leave them, might explain why he didn't play so he didn't get injured so they could sell him.

Apparently though, Northampton could still be playing and wouldn't score despite our keeper being MotM

Apparently though, Northampton could still be playing and wouldn't score despite our keeper being MotM

I think I can guarantee right now that whoever gets promoted from L2 this season won't be playing tikka-takka Spanish-style football or anything close to it.

But I shall follow Brendan Bradley's managerial career where he ruthlessly instigates "Total Football" in L2 with real interest!

Exeter beat us playing tidier football. IMO vs them, our percentage football (eventually knock downs will fall to someone around Rhead) was found out a little bit. Just need to mix it up in this division, no style is right or wrong but being able to play direct or tidy is a big advantage. Best teams won't play tiki taka maybe, but they won't be one dimensional.

I think I can guarantee right now that whoever gets promoted from L2 this season won't be playing tikka-takka Spanish-style football or anything close to it.

But I shall follow Brendan Bradley's managerial career where he ruthlessly instigates "Total Football" in L2 with real interest!

I think you probably haven't fully read the messages that led to my post, your sledgehammer sarcasm nothwithstanding.

Kickingimp seemed to suggest that Spanish type football was not "results based" football. My initial post was just to try and correct that impression seeing as they dominated international football for a while and continue to dominate European club football.

No team in Spain currently plays tiki taka although its architect has just taken his team through the most successful season in English top flight history (sorry to have to re-state this but it looks like I need to batter this point in with a mallet).

As you go further down the leagues it's necessary to adapt any style of play to the players' limitations, as is the case anywhere. But there are a wide variety of styles as Rasenimp has pointed out and everyone didn't need to play like Wycombe to get some success.