Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 84 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

Danny has said he doesn't think the budget will stretch to a cover R/B.
That might well have been because he wasn't anything like fully fit when he came back.

Wilson did have some very good reviews upon signing, I don't think we have seen the best from him yet. I guess if DC thinks it's worth not signing cover for RB so he can fully use the budget on the other remaining 2-3 players then so be it, he usually gets it right.

Getting back to Chapman and his gradual progress with the first team.
I think he will be used regularly as a sub coming on with probably 20 mins to go in each league game this season.
And possibly then being a regular starter in all other games.
But next season I would think he could be a regular on the team sheet.

Wilson did have some very good reviews upon signing, I don't think we have seen the best from him yet. I guess if DC thinks it's worth not signing cover for RB so he can fully use the budget on the other remaining 2-3 players then so be it, he usually gets it right.
i presume there is also some budget being held back for signings in january.

James Wilson can cover for right back if need be.
he was ok at Right Back. but then that leaves us short at Centre Back. It would be alright in the case of a suspension or injury where he misses a couple of matches. I wonder how Toffolo or Habergham would perform at Right Back.

My concern is the potential lack of durecel battery loss of a Woodyard and Whitehouse under pressing and long ball playing system. No doubt of some improved quality and experience. Can we really replace woodyard?

I would imagine the truth of the matter is that it is easier to shoe horn Wilson (experienced player and played there before) into the right back slot than it is to move Wharton (younger and clearly not a full back in any way) to left back. L2 football means compromise and risk management somewhere along the line so I can see why RB is where that has been taken. Very hard to fill the back up role knowing that Eardley was star man last season and if he carries on in the same vein he is not going to be dropped.

My concern is the potential lack of durecel battery loss of a Woodyard and Whitehouse under pressing and long ball playing system. No doubt of some improved quality and experience. Can we really replace woodyard?
time will tell ...AW was like playing with 12 men........we will get a better understanding after half a dozen games.
replacements for Woodyard , very difficult to find,plus he was fit every Saturday

he was ok at Right Back. but then that leaves us short at Centre Back. It would be alright in the case of a suspension or injury where he misses a couple of matches. I wonder how Toffolo or Habergham would perform at Right Back.
Wilson is never a right back and anyone who saw him perform against Exeter away will recall he played like a fish out of water and set up their first goal.(he was filling in only,no other options,Eardley played lb that night,squad down to bare bones)
he is a right sided cb and even if played at the left cb role he is not comfortable.
cover at rb still unresolved....Eardley gets injured......we are in the brown stuff------now is the time to get a fix.

I hope Sam will be okay but he always seems a bit further away from fitness than everyone else. The ideal signing for me is someone who can cover RB and LB and chip in with a few assists ... so another Eardley please. Simple :-)

I hope Sam will be okay but he always seems a bit further away from fitness than everyone else. The ideal signing for me is someone who can cover RB and LB and chip in with a few assists ... so another Eardley please. Simple :-)

It's that easy.

Realistically, how many clubs have a utility player to cover both full back positions?

Very few. We'll need to make do with what we have in the event that Habs/Toffolo, Eardley/Wilson are out. It's an unlikely situation but with a small, quality squad you can't always plan for the worst case scenario.