Weekly Quiz: w/c 11 June | Vital Football

Weekly Quiz: w/c 11 June

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Here we go again, deadline 5pm on Friday.

1. Which Lincoln City goalkeeper joined Boston United and appeared in their first ever game at left back?

2. When the Football League was suspended for the Second World War after three games of the 1939-40 season, what would City's fourth game have been?

3. Who played with Billy and married Lily?

4. Which City starlet was sold to First Division Liverpool, ironically scored twice on his debut against Grimsby, and failed to score again in his entire career?

5. What surname connects a Lincoln City striker, an actress, a Hollywood casting director, and a recipient of the Queen's Police Medal?

6. Which legendary Lincoln striker drove a Cadillac convertible in the 1930s?

7. Which City player missed the Munich Air Disaster through injury?

8. What is missing from this sequence: JA, AP, --, PF, BW, AW?

9. Why did Nottingham Forest receive criticism from Lincoln City in August 1989?

10. What is this? How did it almost take City back to the Second Division?

NTG70.jpg

To start off.......10 is Molineaux home of Wolves. Specifically their stand which nearly forced them to fold

In the 1981/82 season when we finished 4th in the Third Division, Wolves were almost declared bankrupt and would have folded as a club but for a very late intervention by their old striker Derek Dougan who was the face of a group financed by the Bhatti Brothers who kept them going.

If they had gone under we would have replaced them in the then second division.

9. I have a vague recollection that Forest cancelled a pre-season friendly with us at very short notice citing City as insufficient opposition for them. I assume that Lincoln would have already paid out certain expenses before the match so criticism would have been warranted

6. No idea as to the car link but the name that comes to mind is Allan Hall who knocked in about a goal a game for us in the early 30's over 2/3 seasons before being sold to Spurs

6. Taking the question at its face value and assuming it's nothing to do with a quotation from a song, one possibility I can think of is Jock Dodds.

4. This will be Ted Savage sometime in the early thirties.. Played for City as a defender and later played for Liverpool and Man Utd amongst others. On his debut for Liverpool he played as a forward and bagged a couple of goals against the Cods. He reverted back to his defensive position for the rest of his career and never scored again. Every dog has its day as the saying goes!

2. I think that when the leagues started back up in the 1946/47 season they decided to keep the fixture list for the 1939/40 season.

Fourth match 1946 was away at York City so I assume this was the scheduled match in September 1939

5. Taylor.............Jamie ( striker ) Elizabeth ( actress ) Quite common surname so stands a chance ( casting director and QPM )

Update time. Still awaiting answers for the following:

1. Which Lincoln City goalkeeper joined Boston United and appeared in their first ever game at left back?

5. What surname connects a Lincoln City striker, an actress, a Hollywood casting director, and a recipient of the Queen's Police Medal?

9. Why did Nottingham Forest receive criticism from Lincoln City in August 1989?

Some interesting information regarding Q1 has come to light this week, courtesy of Imphistorian. There may be no answer...

Deadline 5pm on Friday.

5. As an obvious stab.......Smith
City striker......Sam/Paul
Actress............Maggie
QPM.................John ( Met deputy a few years back)
Casting director..............must be one surely????

Desperation has taken hold

OK, time for a few clues.

It is Boston's first ever game. Leave this one for now, unless you know who it was. There is some doubt over the story - all will be revealed in tomorrow's answers.

One of City's most illustrious players. You need to identify Billy.

You are looking for members of the same family - four amazing siblings.

Not really anything I can say without effectively giving the answer. You're on your own with this one!

So for 5 we are looking for siblings, rather than people with just the same surname.
Remarkably then the surname Ross despite fitting all the criteria is incorrect now we are looking for siblings. I wonder what the odds are of there being 2 surnames that fit the answer as originally written.