Summer transfer thread | Page 55 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

Its a good job Frank Clark didn't consider himself written off at 32, going on the give four years good service.

Mind, that was before football was officially invented in 1992; does it count?

Its a good job Frank Clark didn't consider himself written off at 32, going on the give four years good service.

Mind, that was before football was officially invented in 1992; does it count?

32 years of age then was probably the equivalent of 35/36 now with the way fitness and attitudes have changed.

Just hope that Hutton's heart will be in it, leaving Villa after so many years. At least he knows us as a club and what he's coming to.

I see the NEP have, as usual, regurgitated all of the latest twitter 'news' and rumour about possible signings and are stressing the ambition of capturing Goncalves and Carvalho from Benfica, if it happens.

If it's true, the transfer of Carvalho in particular, at between £10m and £15m, is both exciting and worrying in equal quantity. A great prospect he may be, but that is all he is. He has made a handful of appearances for Benfica and many more for the Portugal under X teams. He has very little experience and at 5ft 7in he hardly has the physique demanded of the Championship. If it goes wrong we put the club at risk.

But what do I know? I haven't even seen him play. Maybe he's the new Iniesta, but if he is, why hasn't he been snapped up by Spurs, Arsenal or Man U, who reportedly have him on their radar?

I'm encouraged by the increased investment by the owner but this is a huge gamble, is it not? Maybe he's on a level with Dowell, which I personally would be pleased about (though some wouldn't). We certainly don't want another Lica or Teixeira! Thoughts?

I like Hutton, whom I think would do a great job short term.

I see the NEP have, as usual, regurgitated all of the latest twitter 'news' and rumour about possible signings and are stressing the ambition of capturing Goncalves and Carvalho from Benfica, if it happens.

If it's true, the transfer of Carvalho in particular, at between £10m and £15m, is both exciting and worrying in equal quantity. A great prospect he may be, but that is all he is. He has made a handful of appearances for Benfica and many more for the Portugal under X teams. He has very little experience and at 5ft 7in he hardly has the physique demanded of the Championship. If it goes wrong we put the club at risk.

But what do I know? I haven't even seen him play. Maybe he's the new Iniesta, but if he is, why hasn't he been snapped up by Spurs, Arsenal or Man U, who reportedly have him on their radar?

I'm encouraged by the increased investment by the owner but this is a huge gamble, is it not? Maybe he's on a level with Dowell, which I personally would be pleased about (though some wouldn't). We certainly don't want another Lica or Teixeira! Thoughts?

I like Hutton, whom I think would do a great job short term.

Agreed, can't help but feel more nervous about this than excited. Huge amount of money on one player. BIG risk to take.

If improving the team is not the most important criteria, what is?

I'd argue in this climate forward thinking is. A short term fix is fine now and then but ending up with expensive contracts with 0 resale value is suicide.

Better is a nebulous term too, better for the formation we want to play? Better in terms of attitude? Better technically? Better for our footballing philosophy? Which attributes exactly is he better in than say Cash/Darikwa if we want to play 3-5-2? Is that enough to mitigate blocking a youngsters progress and using valuable budget.

There are numerous factors to consider: Does the player have an injury record? Is he blocking the development of a young player with promise? If I use my budget here, who does this mean I can't sign? Etc etc.

Signing players is complex, saying he's better doesn't cut it without context and opportunity cost.

I'd argue in this climate forward thinking is. A short term fix is fine now and then but ending up with expensive contracts with 0 resale value is suicide.

Better is a nebulous term too, better for the formation we want to play? Better in terms of attitude? Better technically? Better for our footballing philosophy? Which attributes exactly is he better in than say Cash/Darikwa if we want to play 3-5-2? Is that enough to mitigate blocking a youngsters progress and using valuable budget.

There are numerous factors to consider: Does the player have an injury record? Is he blocking the development of a young player with promise? If I use my budget here, who does this mean I can't sign? Etc etc.

Signing players is complex, saying he's better doesn't cut it without context and opportunity cost.

MW did exactly that and we got regularly beat. Agree with you re forward thinking but risky if that is at the expense of the here and now.

As I mentioned ( and is generally a useful maxim all round), a balance is best imo. 'Best' as defined in the various aspects u describe above.

Agreed, can't help but feel more nervous about this than excited. Huge amount of money on one player. BIG risk to take.

Not really- the numbers are bigger but the inherent risks are the same. We are unlikely to manage in the prem if we are too timid to pay these massive fees. That doesn't mean to say I endorse wasting money but a recognition that the market has kicked up yet another gear. Provided there is resale value (Acknowledging cp's point here) then the risk is limited imo.

MW did exactly that and we got regularly beat. Agree with you re forward thinking but risky if that is at the expense of the here and now.

As I mentioned ( and is generally a useful maxim all round), a balance is best imo. 'Best' as defined in the various aspects u describe above.

And we have signed expensive experience: Dawson, Watson, Geddy with potentially more to follow.

I also wasn't arguing against Hutton, I was just trying to say signings are more complex than simply using a largely meaningless term like he's better...

As looking at some details of the Fa cup between us and Spurs...the entire Forest squad on that day only cost the club A cool million..we had 6ex apprentice's, appearing...Steve hodge cost half of it...Good selection who could hold their own with the best...now we are going to pay nearly 15 million with add ons apparently for one player...and we are not even in the Prem...as we was then....times they are a changing

Last edited: