England v Costa Rica | Page 3 | Vital Football

England v Costa Rica

Hoddle pointed out that stones would have more opportunities to bring the ball out if he were to the side of that back three. That would also be less risky if he loses it. Maguire, Cahill, Jones don’t look very comfortable carrying the ball forward. No-one looks great on the left side of the back three either.

But if we use the ball well, win it back high and quickly, retain a high percentage of possession we might cover the defensive weakness. On those factors, Rashford looked way more effective than Sterling.

I think I'd like Sterling and Rashford to both play. Can't imagine many steady centre halves would enjoy that.

Imagine Lingard will play though.

Regarding the three centre back system, the original idea - I think invented by the Italians in the 1960s - was for the one in the middle to be the 'free man' (Italian - libero) who would not only 'sweep-up' anything missed by the other two centre backs, but also, as he had no-one to mark, be able to bring the ball out of defence and step up into the midfield to originate attacks.

I always remember a game against Notts County in the mid-1980s when they employed this system with Tristan Benjamin in that role and we just couldn't cope with him bringing the ball forward - although only lost 2-0 (both goals from Mick Waitt, incidentally).

I suppose John Stones is seen as the best player in the current England squad for doing this (rightly or wrongly). A few years ago it was Rio Ferdinand who was seen as being most comfortable on the ball.

Regarding the three centre back system, the original idea - I think invented by the Italians in the 1960s - was for the one in the middle to be the 'free man' (Italian - libero) who would not only 'sweep-up' anything missed by the other two centre backs, but also, as he had no-one to mark, be able to bring the ball out of defence and step up into the midfield to originate attacks.

I always remember a game against Notts County in the mid-1980s when they employed this system with Tristan Benjamin in that role and we just couldn't cope with him bringing the ball forward - although only lost 2-0 (both goals from Mick Waitt, incidentally).

I suppose John Stones is seen as the best player in the current England squad for doing this (rightly or wrongly). A few years ago it was Rio Ferdinand who was seen as being most comfortable on the ball.
The difference now is that there is most likely only one striker to mark. So the central cb is the least likely spare man

Where do Sterling and Rashford both fit?

Either side of Kane in a 3-4-2-1 (basically a fancy, more on the deck Keith 5-2-3(!), a bit like how Man City played early in the season) or with sterling as a 10 in a 3-4-1-2.

I personally don't love Alli in a team playing like this because he is more of a second striker than a 10, and with him and Kane in the same team there's lot of onus in creating for them rather than them creating things. I'm not sure he's much of a better option than RLC but I think they'll both (alli and kane) play.

You don't get many chances at the top international level, and even fewer clear cut ones. On that basis Rashford has to start over Sterling in my opinion since he is (for England anyway) by far the better finisher...

Commentators are loving the fact that sterling scored 18 goals for city. But he played in a team that creates loads, and scored over 100. Playing up front alongside aguero, Jesus etc. I don’t watch much premier league, but does he squander loads too?

Watching the England setup, I can’t see anything Sterling does better than rashford.

Commentators are loving the fact that sterling scored 18 goals for city. But he played in a team that creates loads, and scored over 100. Playing up front alongside aguero, Jesus etc. I don’t watch much premier league, but does he squander loads too?

Watching the England setup, I can’t see anything Sterling does better than rashford.

Create.

Was anybody else impressed with Fabian Delph? He was my man of the match and given a choice of the two I'd certainly rather have him at left back than Ashley Young. In this game at least I also thought he looked every bit as good as Henderson or Dier in a deep midfield role.

Was anybody else impressed with Fabian Delph? He was my man of the match and given a choice of the two I'd certainly rather have him at left back than Ashley Young. In this game at least I also thought he looked every bit as good as Henderson or Dier in a deep midfield role.
He was very good. Smart interplay

There was a national journalist on Twitter earlier who reckoned he had been given the team for England's first game, and it was:

Pickford
Tripper
Walker
Stones
Maguire
Rose
Henderson
Ali
Lingard
Sterling
Kane

There was a national journalist on Twitter earlier who reckoned he had been given the team for England's first game, and it was:

Pickford
Tripper
Walker
Stones
Maguire
Rose
Henderson
Ali
Lingard
Sterling
Kane
Certainly won't be far off if not entirely right. Only change I'd make personally is Delph in for Lingard and maybe Cahill for Maguire