Retained List And Squad | Page 9 | Vital Football

Retained List And Squad

Am I the only one who thinks Farman is good enough for League Two?

I think it's been said on here before one of the real noticeable differences between the National League and the Football League is the standard of goalkeeping.

When we dropped into Non League and signed Farman it was one of the first things I said to my mates that I didn't think he was as good as we had previously had in the League.

He has been a fantastic servant to the club and should rightly be applauded for that he also a really good National League keeper. He was rewarded for that with anew contract. However I believe I was correct in my initial assessment and that's exactly what he is a really good National League Keeper and not a really good League 2 keeper.

To achieve higher things we need to move on from Farman and by the looks of it Vickers certainly has the potential.

I love Farms as a Lincoln man through & through. Whenever there is something to celebrate he's always the first out there and is a tremendous character to have around. Unfortunately as a goalkeeper I think he showed some weaknesses last season and, as said above, he doesn't dominate his box, or be as strong & brave as he needs to be in L2. As a back-up he'd be fine for odd games but not for any length, which may be why DC recruited Allsop so quick last year. The other issue is whether Farms is happy to be on the bench or does he want to have first team football? If he is happy to continue to be part of the Lincoln success story, but be on the bench you'd have to question his drive to be No 1, which in turn could affect his perfomances.

I'm more than happy to have a proven, dedicated and experienced number 2 in Paul Farman for the remainder of his contract and then review what is best for him and the club at that point. If Farms pushes for a move before then DC must sit down and resolve it. Alsop would be an unnecessary luxury signing (we need players in other areas more acutely) at this time provided Vickers is fit.

No need to pay off Arnold. He'll have plenty of takers if required and he's a saleable asset, not one you'd let go and pay him.

I think this is more of a question of where Nathan sees himself in all honesty. I suspect from seeing things written on this forum and elsewhere he may leave football altogether as his heart doesn't seem in it. Of course that may have changed as he has had some time away, but it may be that he will ask for a mutual termination. If he makes such a request it will be accepted. I think he has earned it based upon his efforts last season.

Just an inkling I have

Ok - perhaps I was a bit harsh with my 'speculation' about Farms desire and drive, especially given his greatly improved performances after his loan at Boston proved he can do it. I suppose he could be re-energised during his period out of the first team. We won't know until he's back in the team.

Farman is a decent bloke who clearly loves life at Lincoln and is probably one of the main social group in the dressing room, but is this enough to keep him around.

We have had far worse keepers over the years but I personally give a little wince if he starts between the sticks as he is partial to the odd eccentric performance. I suppose it all comes down to Vickers maintaining his fitness as Josh has to be the number 1 choice, then whether Farms is happy bench warming

Ok - perhaps I was a bit harsh with my 'speculation' about Farms desire and drive, especially given his greatly improved performances after his loan at Boston proved he can do it. I suppose he could be re-energised during his period out of the first team. We won't know until he's back in the team.

Or, y'know, he could stay and fight for the right to wear the shirt, the thing we all praised Olly Palmer for. Classic case of one rule for keepers and another for any other player...

Alsop would be an unnecessary luxury signing (we need players in other areas more acutely) at this time provided Vickers is fit.

My feelings exactly. Allsop did a great job for us but his wage requirement would make him one of the top earners, and I agree that money would be better deployed elsewhere on the pitch.

Andrade is a great first signing and hits the bullseye for me in terms of where the money needs to go.

I think this is more of a question of where Nathan sees himself in all honesty. I suspect from seeing things written on this forum and elsewhere he may leave football altogether as his heart doesn't seem in it. Of course that may have changed as he has had some time away, but it may be that he will ask for a mutual termination. If he makes such a request it will be accepted. I think he has earned it based upon his efforts last season.

Just an inkling I have
Maybe.

I'd be disappointed if we released him/mutual consent only to find him rocking up at another FT Club when they'll be ones out there who will pay money for someone of Arnold's experience and success at NL level.

Farman is a decent bloke who clearly loves life at Lincoln and is probably one of the main social group in the dressing room, but is this enough to keep him around.

We have had far worse keepers over the years but I personally give a little wince if he starts between the sticks as he is partial to the odd eccentric performance. I suppose it all comes down to Vickers maintaining his fitness as Josh has to be the number 1 choice, then whether Farms is happy bench warming

I actually don't think we've had that many out-and-out bad 'keepers down the years, tbh.

Updated following the departure of Alex Woodyard:

The current squad is (contract date):

Goalkeepers (3):
Josh Vickers (2019)
Paul Farman (2019)
Richard Walton (contract offered)

Defenders (5):
Neal Eardley (2020)
James Wilson (2020)
Sam Habergham (2019)
Luke Waterfall (2019)
Sean Long (contract offered)

Midfielders (8):
Harry Anderson (2020)
Bruno Andrade (2020)
Michael Bostwick (2020)
Ellis Chapman (2020)
Lee Frecklington (2020)
Tom Pett (2020)
Nathan Arnold (2019)
Elliott Whitehouse (contract offered)

Forwards (3):
Matt Rhead (2019)
Matt Green (2019)
Ollie Palmer (2019)

Total: 19
Under contract: 16
Contracts pending: 3

With recent departures, the midfield area is worthy of note. It looks likely that Arnold and Whitehouse will be leaving, and Ellis Chapman is hardly going to be a first team regular. That effectively leaves 5.

And if Palmer is on his way as some suspect, Danny has lots to do. Two in defence, two midfielders and two strikers as a minimum, and a goalkeeper if Farman goes too.

With Chapman getting a decent length in January will we see more of him or will he be loaned do we think?

16 on contract, Farman, Arnold and Palmer leave down to 13.
If DC wants a 22 man squad means 9 in, with Andrade already here, 10 new players.

Hmmm a tad worrying! Lets hope the Cowleys can work there magic when back next week!

Updated following the departure of Nathan Arnold:

The current squad is (contract date):

Goalkeepers (3):
Josh Vickers (2019)
Paul Farman (2019)
Richard Walton (contract offered)

Defenders (5):
Neal Eardley (2020)
James Wilson (2020)
Sam Habergham (2019)
Luke Waterfall (2019)
Sean Long (contract offered)