Match Thread: Exeter City v Lincoln City | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Exeter City v Lincoln City

Anybody who blames the ref needs to take the blinkers off. They were better than us, simples. We need to recruit players who have the quality like Harley and Boateng to do what they did...we are 99% effort and 1% quality..that needs adjusting for next season.
it was their second goals of the season...

Anybody who blames the ref needs to take the blinkers off. They were better than us, simples. We need to recruit players who have the quality like Harley and Boateng to do what they did...we are 99% effort and 1% quality..that needs adjusting for next season.

The team can't be knocked for spirit and attitude, and that's what you should see as a fan but don't often do, but yes, Exeter were better overall and deserved to go through.

At least the team when went out in the right manner when it could have turned into a bit of a disaster after the third goal. It means everyone enters the summer in a better frame of mind.

As for the referee, sure if that penalty had been given in the 80th minute it would have made for a thrilling finale, but the disallowed goal was handball and to be honest I thought they should have had a pen in the first half for the Waterfall incident.

Hopefully this is a precursor to something better. A kind of Southport '75 moment.

Well we learnt you can’t beat 14 men. We deserved more tonight but a couple of mistakes let us down. And then the officials, jeez they should just be sacked on the spot.
We’ll come back next year. A bit more fluid. A bit fitter. A bit sharper. More adapted to this division and we can walk this league.

Tough game tonight. Unfortunate (a bit like Bristol Rovers in the playoffs a few years ago) that they saved all their screamers for tonight. Considering they've scored three, they can't have had more than 5 or 6 shots on target? Can't remember Allsop doing much.

I think they deserved it though. Our percentage football means you need the ball to drop for you. So many Rhead flick ons, but not the bobble we needed a lot of the time.

While I'm not too upset about our performance, in such a tight tie it's pretty unforgivable to give a goal away as bad as their first. Changes the balance of the game so much when you're thinking how close it's going to be, and I have no idea what Wilson was doing. I can't imagine that's one the Cowleys are going to be pleased with.

I make you right. Not sure it's 99/1, but the balance does need adjustment.

So a fantastic season comes to an end. Was expecting mid table at the beginning of the season, so get to the playoffs and win the checkatrade trophy is an amazing achievement. I’m obviously disappointed, but, I’m proud of Lincoln tonight.

I hate the play offs.

Better side probably won, but we were a bit unlucky really. Official’s decisions didn’t go for us and two absolutely stunning goals for Exeter. Having said that don’t really hunk the Cowleys will be too happy how any of the goals came about.

Personally think 4-3-3 hindered us today. We had no support going down the wings and were overrun in midfield. Unfortunate that we were forced to put Botswick in defence because we missed him cleaning up the bits and pieces and stopping Boateng. Lots of aspects of the game we have to improve on, in particular the basics like 5 yard passes, crossing, and controlling the ball. I think we really should have had a few shots from range. Their keeper knew what wasn’t coming. However, I’m so proud of the boys they kept going until the end despite the poor officiating. The ball just wouldn’t drop for us today.

Hats off to Exeter; they defended us very well and looked the more dangerous team going forward. Good luck in the final.

Safe journey back to the lincoln fans that travelled.

Before the playsoff I said I’d rather have the Cowleys for another year (or more) than get into the playoffs. Good times ahead. Think we’ll see a fair few changes to the team next season. We all know we desperately need a proven goal scorer, which we’ll have to shell some money out for. Think there are a few players we’ll be looking to improve on. I think we need an extra few bodies in the squad next season considering we were the walking wounded at the end.

Now to enjoy the savage disappointment of England in the World Cup!

Edit: Brilliant interview from Danny after the game. What an asset he his to the club.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but Boateng was superb over both games with Harley not far behind. Who on our side could do that?

Think that's part of the learning process for the management team. Summer will be interesting to see if they can retain the likes of Eardley and build the depth and quality of squad necessary for a tilt at the title. A Southport not a Huddersfield tonight.

Have to agree we were beaten by the better side. But wouldn’t it be nice to have referees give the right decisions. Apparently there used to be good referees, but probably long before Howard Webb decided that referees were part of the entertainment.

Footballing wise - Exeter far better. Something for DC & Bros to seriously to think about. However, you need the rub of the green too & Exe had that, as well as homer ref'ing. Rhead hand ball um well maybe but then again he was pushed & then was wiped out out in the 80 min. Ref no balls they should have had 3 yellow cards in the 1st half. Come along way in 2 years & Rome was not built in a day.

Buy Boateng & Jayden & that centre back v Rhead & We will go up. Who the chuff are Exeter!!!!

Have to agree we were beaten by the better side. But wouldn’t it be nice to have referees give the right decisions. Apparently there used to be good referees, but probably long before Howard Webb decided that referees were part of the entertainment.

I think referees, and particularly linesmen today are far better than say 20 30 years ago. The push on Rhead is far from conclusive.. Rhead should have had a penalty but Thommo said just a clash of heads. And im sure if waterfalls handball in the first half happened against us wed all be crowing about being robbed for that too.

Goal one, was three free touches in the box area.
Goal two, if you get shrugged off and don’t fancy chasing him, just foul him on the halfway line whitehouse. Not black enough for us.
Goal three, time to set himself to shoot twenty yards out, no midfielder within five yards.
Think we contributed to our own downfall. Looked like we respected them too much.

I think referees, and particularly linesmen today are far better than say 20 30 years ago. The push on Rhead is far from conclusive.. Rhead should have had a penalty but Thommo said just a clash of heads. And im sure if waterfalls handball in the first half happened against us wed all be crowing about being robbed for that too.[/