Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City

Easy to say when you're not there but I think we shouldn't let a narrow 1-0 defeat away at the Champions get us too downhearted.IMG_9109.PNG

I'd left the TV on after the game, was a bit surprised when it suddenly burst into life nearly an hour later showing Accy's celebrations, they deserved it. Good luck to them!
We only need a point, not sure any team would want us in the play-offs!

A bit disappointing today but no worse than that. Accrington defended well but the only thing they had over us was their ability to press aggressively and seemingly had three and four players around the ball every time they lost possession. That was the only difference between the sides and we were the better team second half. If Greeny hadn't have slipped at a crucial time we would have got the equaliser. They carried less of a goal threat than us and scored only when the ref allowed two blatant hand balls in the passages of play preceding it. On another day either hand ball would have been given and we would have cleared one of their few spells of pressure. Were we good today? Not really but then again we should have had a draw at the home of the Champions so I'm quite philosophical. I know whose position the Mansfield fans would be in.

I thought they looked a poor team and poor champions and expect them to get relegated back down. They certainly cant go any higher with THAT ground. They only got a result today cos of shit refereeing.
All very depressing.

How much did the announcements midweek affect performance? Everyone was on a high and maybe not focused. A 0-1 loss to the champions, away, is not a disaster.
A full stadium cheering the boys on next week when they get their heads back on will see us in the play offs. CMON the 12th man, drive 'em on.

I thought they looked a poor team and poor champions and expect them to get relegated back down. They certainly cant go any higher with THAT ground. They only got a result today cos of shit refereeing.
All very depressing.
They are building a new stand with 15 rows of seats during the summer on the TV gantry side and finally putting a roof on the away terrace.

I thought Accrington looked a decent side. Very solid defence and lots of midfield and forward pressing. Not a footballing team like Luton, but effective at this level - and therefore well worthy champions.

Remember they only needed a point to win the title today, so sat back second half. We just didn't have that extra bit of flair or skill to break them down.

4.753 was their record attendance for that stadium, so at least the travelling imps played a part in that and made it a day to remember for the home fans. Hopefully we will have three more similar days between now and May 28th.

All very depressing.

If they are a poor team then so are the rest of the league who finished below them . Lincoln are 20 odd points behind them, so Lincoln must be really poor

Depressing ?? Some you win some you lose. What's depressing about that. Have a beer or 5. Lol

Today’s performance felt like an end of season game where we had nothing to play for. Decent atmosphere in the Accrington end when they had realised they had won the league. Very hard to get any atmosphere going without a roof, not helped by our fairly lacklustre performance.

Hats of to Accy for winning the title and I think today the best team/ team that wanted it more won. They weren’t your typical play you off the park champions, but, they were extremely organised and pressed very hard. They looked decent going forward and very tidy in defence, a championship winning formular. They win all the 2nd balls and give away very little.

Having said that it was a disappointing/frustrating performance from lincoln. The set pieces were extremely poor. We played far too narrow and meant we were left with very few options down the wing. Even more of a problem was that we were so exposed down the wings and they were regaularlt eunning down the wing, cutting in and playing balls across the box. It was the route of the goals at Coventry, goal today and the penalty (which looked very soft). We seem to struggle against players that like to run with the ball. I won’t say this very often but Eardley didn’t have a great game today, partly because he was up against their number 11 who was exceptional.

I can’t really remember having any shots on target and we only really got into the game afternoon Harry came on and gave us width and purpose down the flank. We had a couple of decent chances towards the end but they defenended very well. With the results not going our way, not a great day really. It lets be honest we were only hoping for something from this game rather than expecting anything. Next Saturday is going to Spicy!

We played ok, they looked a decent purposeful team first half. Nearly all Lincoln second half. Referee was very poor massive shove on Green in the second half as well as the pen not given in the first. We’re a decent side just came up against one enjoying a purple patch today

Thought we looked tired today. Never really got going and other than Greens half chance never looked like testing their keeper. A week to rest and then a full throttle Saturday..UTI