Scally | Vital Football

Scally

To be replaced by who???
PDPS did not cause the court cases, they were fought by him to repair the damage created by others. Even the refunding of the previous vice chairman Michael Anderson was as a result of him falling foul of tax obligations in the USA. Thank you MartinKent, it was not due to tax obligations, but as being accused of being involved in a US Healthcare scam.
With a bit of luck, there should be a reasonable few bob to spend on purchasing a few players, but there has been a transfer embargo on the a few months, so it is not as though PDPS has refused to get hold of anybody for SL.

Last edited:
Hmmm not going to get into the details of the Anderson case for reason of libel. However I am not sure falling foul of tax obligations is particularly accurate.

Key recruitment is in the summer.

Last year we signed league two players from Yeovil, one from Southend (who had a good middle of the season but poor at beginning an end, someone (Wilkinson) who has done a tour of lower league loans (and scored very few) and a non leaguer from five or six divisions below and Zakuani who can be considered a success . Eaves has done well but is not prolific. Ogilve on loan has been a disappointment overall

In January a few journey men with less that 270 mins between them on the pitch.

I don't really think that group can be considered sufficient evidence of investment for a league one side with ambition.

Lets see what this summer brings. A reduction in quality (which is hard to believe) in my view.

PS has always given the managers as much budget as the club can afford - unless a new owner is prepared to buy the club and put his own money in nothing will change and there is a long line of those waiting

It will be difficult to get any investors or a buyer until the council get behind teh club and help find a new site as regardless of how much money we have Priestfield is a old ground with no room to expand and has poor transport links.

I thought the Council future plan had gone half way by accepting the PDPS proposed site was classified as 'mixed development' or whatever the term is, as opposed to being restricted to housing.
I appreciate that the club objected to a separate supermarket development, but the opportunity for the new club site with railway facilities is still available. It is really the finance to cause a proper building plan together that is missing.

The budget cannot and will not be lower than last year during the court case.

Of course we will never know what the budget really is but in theory it could be lower.

Who knows how many two year ST were sold. No money coming in from them.

Will ST sales go down ? Yesterday was full of bad emotions but the number of people around me who said that's it - no more ST. The football is shit and people genuinely felt hard done by all the special offers. I sat in the posh seats for the fourth time yesterday. I paid 5, 5 ,10 and 10 for those seats. ST holders around paid much more.

Based on this seasons home games how many "casual fans" are tempted to come back. Family in front of me left at half time muttering never gain.

I assume your argument is that we have the Center Plate money coming in. Well maybe that's destined for "investment" in the new ground project, or finishing the catering upgrades, paying Anderson off, or the water feature needs upgrading or maybe Scally fancies a pay rise this year.

At the end of the day there is no guarantee that this coming seasons budget is going to be higher. Not but we would know anyway.

Having the lowest amount spent on agents is a real pointer that our budget was poor .That and many other factors like no established goal scorer at the time they signed up .If we get in a established goal scorer and spend a average amount on agents fees that would be a fair indication that the budget is higher .The chances of that under Scally seem slim at best .I am still waiting for his plans going forward .Maybe he has big spending plans which will result in a bit increase in attendances but I for one doubt that very much .

Well, according to his programme notes yesterday, only 1 table remains for the player of the year do. Don't all rush at once.

PS has always given the managers as much budget as the club can afford - unless a new owner is prepared to buy the club and put his own money in nothing will change and there is a long line of those waiting

It will be difficult to get any investors or a buyer until the council get behind teh club and help find a new site as regardless of how much money we have Priestfield is a old ground with no room to expand and has poor transport links.

Durham, Scally used exactly the same excuse when the Medway Stand was built, the facilities would bring in the extra revenue on enable us to have the finances to help finance the football side of the business and make us competitive, it hasn't happened. The new ground excuse is just a figment of his imagination and IMO will never happen all the time PS is in charge of GFC. It isn't just Gills fans that have got bored and don't believe his bluff and wind, the council appear to be as cynical as a lot of Gills fans, because he speaks a lot without having the funding for his bit of the project.

The key component to us getting bums on seats is a decent, competitive team on the pitch, and that requires investment, even at league one level, if you don't you go backwards, which is what is happening to us under PS, and until the on field pitch situation in proves, and I'm talking over a few seasons not a few months as we've had under SL, then IMO nothing will change.He can talk about a new ground for has long as he wants ( its been about 20 years so far) and we're no nearer a new ground now than we were 20 years ago.

It does make me wonder how much money has been spent/wasted on the 'new ground' over the years, on feasibility studies, architects drawings and stuff, that could be been spent on a player or two in that time.

Fuck any notion of a new stadium for the time being. Get the club back to winning ways and maybe, in a year or two, think about a move but not before Priestfield is bursting at the seams. A new stadium as if by magic will not bring success - look at MK Dons or Darlington. As for Mr Anderson, PDPS should have known better but I guess he doesn't and therein lies another problem.

Priestfield has never and been bursting at the seams, we have developed it as much as we can the Medways stand has given extra income we have never had before - you could also say investing in the team does not guarantee success as you can see with MK Dons.

Investors look at the long term not one or 2 years, you want investment then decry Anderson who did invest in the club - you want it both ways

He has only been a director for 9 years, do you really expect anyone to see into the future - he passed the EFL Directors and owners test last year

And as good as SL was for a few matches his team set up and tactics are looking very suspect - In a statement last week he said the "The squad of players I have are excellent" so who is living in cloud cuckoo land.

"Bursting at the seams" PMSL. Just wait until next season - I wager it will be a record low take up of season tickets in the Scally era. We will seldom get home gates of above 4 to 5k unless there is a large away following and even less if we get relegated. Do not under estimate just how pissed off many long standing fans are at the moment - even old hard core gimmers in the GRS are sick of watching this shit every home game for the last 2 and a half seasons. This club is rapidly going backwards and you know it. If we survive this season we will be nailed on for relegation unless there are major changes and better players. They cost money so it will not happen. So as you say just who is living in cloud cuckoo land - not the fans - we know the writing is on the wall.

Chesterfield had a shiny new ground not to many years ago, I am sure it will light the conference up next season.

5k in priestfield generates a decent enough atmosphere, 5k in a 20k identikit stadium will so bad even the core 4K will stop coming.

As has been said without an equivalent and consistent investment on the pitch a new stadium is pointless. After an initial buz the crowds will drop again like chesterfield.

"Bursting at the seams" PMSL. Just wait until next season - I wager it will be a record low take up of season tickets in the Scally era. We will seldom get home gates of above 4 to 5k unless there is a large away following and even less if we get relegated. Do not under estimate just how pissed off many long standing fans are at the moment - even old hard core gimmers in the GRS are sick of watching this shit every home game for the last 2 and a half seasons. This club is rapidly going backwards and you know it. If we survive this season we will be nailed on for relegation unless there are major changes and better players. They cost money so it will not happen. So as you say just who is living in cloud cuckoo land - not the fans - we know the writing is on the wall.
I never said it would be bursting at the seems; I don't know what you were reading. I simply pointed out no logic in moving if we can nowhere near fill Priestfield.

Priestfield has never and been bursting at the seams, we have developed it as much as we can the Medways stand has given extra income we have never had before - you could also say investing in the team does not guarantee success as you can see with MK Dons.

Investors look at the long term not one or 2 years, you want investment then decry Anderson who did invest in the club - you want it both ways

He has only been a director for 9 years, do you really expect anyone to see into the future - he passed the EFL Directors and owners test last year

And as good as SL was for a few matches his team set up and tactics are looking very suspect - In a statement last week he said the "The squad of players I have are excellent" so who is living in cloud cuckoo land.
There are many in football who have passed the fit for purpose test, which is one of life's mysteries

The only problem Anderson may have caused is that we may have to pay him back earlier than expected, although PS contests whether even that will be true.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the money he put in to the club listed as a loan rather than a shareholding? It was always going to have to be paid off sooner or later so although assets on the balance sheet will reduce so will liabilities.

I appreciate it is still likely to impact on short term budgets but we have not actually lost money through his involvement.

The truth is Durham, Scally can't develope Priestfield anymore, regardless of the council's attitude, because GFC can't afford it, because of our restructuring we can't go to the bank and there are no football grants anymore, so he's fucked on that front because without someone else paying for it it won't happen, so the new ground is his answer.

Investors also look at the person at the helm, the books, as well and maybe they take into account the apathy around the club and what they'd get on their return. What have investors got on their return from the club in the time Scally has been in charge?. A share issue that was a total cows arse and just in short a beg to the fans to donate money dressed up as an investment with a return, Anderson hasn't had his money back and will probably only get it because of the centreplate money.

As for Anderson's investment, it was at a time when the club was on its arse, thanks to the chairman's calculator being broken and shit with figures and us not having a pot to piss in. It was not an investment that went into the playing side of the business, it was swallowed up in our debt, that was increasing and getting out of control. The fact that we got investment from Anderson says it all IMO, after 12 years of looking Anderson was the best (and clearly only) option. Don't tell me they were queuing up to invest because of the return they'd get!

Jesus, if you're now trying to pass the buck onto SL you really have reached a new low.Let's not forget, if it wasn't for SL we'd be relegated already, facing League 2 football, why, because Scally thought it'd be a good idea to 're-appoint AP in the summer despite even Stevie Wonder seeing he wasn't up to it, yet according to Scally AP deserved it. More likely he was the cheap option that was willing to work with a piss poor budget and grateful for the chance.

It's clear you believe most of Scallys bullshit, more fool you.